Rush Limbaugh defends Somali pirates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rush Limbaugh defends Somali pirates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh defends Somali pirates  (Read 2519 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
« edited: April 16, 2009, 09:48:46 PM by Einzige »

"I just imagine the hue and cry had a white Republican President ordered the shooting of black teenagers." - Link

Conservatives, protecting pirates first and Americans last.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »

The pirates didn't kill anyone, so the killing of them was clearly excessive force. Plus, it would seem that the adminstration has done nothing about the domestic piracy problem, which has stolen much more money from Americans that these pirates ever did.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:46:13 PM »

The pirates didn't kill anyone, so the killing of them was clearly excessive force.

Are you joking? Please tell me that you're joking. Please tell me that you don't see the holding of an American citizen at gunpoint as something other than justifiable cause.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »

The pirates didn't kill anyone, so the killing of them was clearly excessive force.

Are you joking? Please tell me that you're joking. Please tell me that you don't see the holding of an American citizen at gunpoint as something other than justifiable cause.

Somehow, I suspect that the American taxpayers payed more for that rescue operation than the ship would have had to pay to the pirates. While piracy is certainly detestable, and should be punished, it seems that the ship takes that risk when it goes in those seas. It would be better to allow American ships to carry guns. Additionally, since those pirates were killed, I will bet that future irates will be less hesitant to take American lives.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »

Somehow, I suspect that the American taxpayers payed more for that rescue operation than the ship would have had to pay to the pirates. While piracy is certainly detestable, and should be punished, it seems that the ship takes that risk when it goes in those seas. It would be better to allow American ships to carry guns. Additionally, since those pirates were killed, I will bet that future irates will be less hesitant to take American lives.

I'm not disputing that private shipping companies need to bear the costs of defending their shipments; it is not the government's job to hold their hand. Nevertheless, in a situation where the life of an American citizen is directly threatened - and by this I do not mean some Republicanesque conspiracy theory, but a situation where a life hangs definitely in the balance - then it becomes the government's job to act if no other way to rescue the citizen is available.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »

I'm not disputing that private shipping companies need to bear the costs of defending their shipments; it is not the government's job to hold their hand. Nevertheless, in a situation where the life of an American citizen is directly threatened - and by this I do not mean some Republicanesque conspiracy theory, but a situation where a life hands definitively in the balance - then it becomes the government's job to act if no other way to rescue the citizen is available.

Well said.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:03:20 PM »

I'm on Einzige's side on this one.  Some people that are quiet now wouldn't be if Bush was still in the White House, no doubt, but those people are best left ignored anyway.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 11:54:01 PM »

lol @ at Einzige linking to the Keith Olbermann site.  Rush Limbaugh's idiocy is a foregone conclusion, but using Olbermann's idiocy to evidence Limbaugh's seems like overkill.  It's "idiocy within idiocy".  Do they somehow cancel each other out?  Tongue

Oh, and when attempting to quote said idiocy, please try to do it accurately...

"I just imagine the hue and cry had a white Republican President ordered the shooting of black teenagers." - Link

Rush didn't say "white". 
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

I can't believe you're stupid enough to not know he said that in jest.... sh**t.... Try finding the audio.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »

lol @ at Einzige linking to the Keith Olbermann site.  Rush Limbaugh's idiocy is a foregone conclusion, but using Olbermann's idiocy to evidence Limbaugh's seems like overkill.  It's "idiocy within idiocy".  Do they somehow cancel each other out?  Tongue

Despite your attempt to justify yourself with a fallacy of equivocation, it won't work: Olbermann is significantly more intelligent - and vastly more rational - than Limbaugh. You make the same mistake that moderates do in presuming the 'truth is somewhere in the middle'.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »

Despite your attempt to justify yourself with a fallacy of equivocation, it won't work: Olbermann is significantly more intelligent - and vastly more rational - than Limbaugh. You make the same mistake that moderates do in presuming the 'truth is somewhere in the middle'.

The whole thread is a false premise.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »

I can't take your word for it regarding his intelligence.  Of all the times I've caught his show, I've never seen him challenged by someone with an opposing viewpoint.  He presents his show as if it were a "news" program, where he gives (his take on) a story, then throws it to some commentator in the little window (usually from some reputable masthead like The Nation, who will basically nod his head in agreement for four minutes.  Heck, even Hannity will debate the issues.  So, the fact that his show isn't much less than a Kool-Aid hour leads me to believe he probably isn't too intelligent.  

As for rationality...it really isn't that hard to present yourself as rational, when you have no one challenging your opinion.  He didn't look very rational in his red-faced tirades during his "Special Comment" segments.  He doesn't look very rational in his nightly "Worst Repulica..." oops I mean "Worst Person in the Woorld" segment.  He didn't look very rational after the Biden-Palin debate, when immediately after its conclusion he went into rundown of inaccuracies by Palin, but failed to mention any of Biden's.  He didn't look very rational in his awkward tit-for-tats with that other genius, Chris Matthews.  

Plus, he's a douche.  You know he got run out of ESPN because he was such a douche?  

And he wears high-cut jackets.  Hey Keith!  2002 called and they want their business attire back!

Keep linking "news" stories from the website of Hannity-of-the-Left, and see how much attention people will pay.  Provided you haven't lost them already.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »

You think that Limbaugh meant it 'as a joke'? Then f**king prove it. Otherwise shut your goddamned trap. He went on for ten minutes expanding on this statement. I'm tired of you assholes getting away with calling every faux pas a 'joke'.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:19 AM »

You think that Limbaugh meant it 'as a joke'? Then f**king prove it. Otherwise shut your goddamned trap. He went on for ten minutes expanding on this statement. I'm tired of your assholes getting away with calling every faux pas a 'joke'.

Yeah, prove it!...preferably with a link to Glenn Beck's take on the whole thing. 
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 12:32:25 AM »

I can't take your word for it regarding his intelligence.  Of all the times I've caught his show, I've never seen him challenged by someone with an opposing viewpoint.  He presents his show as if it were a "news" program, where he gives (his take on) a story, then throws it to some commentator in the little window (usually from some reputable masthead like The Nation, who will basically nod his head in agreement for four minutes.  Heck, even Hannity will debate the issues.  So, the fact that his show isn't much less than a Kool-Aid hour leads me to believe he probably isn't too intelligent.

And? I never said that he wasn't biased, dickweed. Simply that he presented his views in a logical, thought-out manner; that is, he put more than three minutes into reading his talking points memo before he went on-air, as Limbaugh seems wont to do. If you're going to criticize one of my posts, might I suggest that you actually bother to read it first?  
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 12:36:30 AM »

You think that Limbaugh meant it 'as a joke'? Then f**king prove it. Otherwise shut your goddamned trap. He went on for ten minutes expanding on this statement. I'm tired of you assholes getting away with calling every faux pas a 'joke'.

Considering I listened to that days show, I can 100% confirm that he said it as a joke, right at the end of a segment.... I know I can't ever satisfy you to that point, but myself and anyone else who has common sense knows that he was saying it as a joke.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

Considering I listened to that days show, I can 100% confirm that he said it as a joke, right at the end of a segment.... I know I can't ever satisfy you to that point, but myself and anyone else who has common sense knows that he was saying it as a joke.

So post a link to the full show and let us decide for ourselves. He tried to justify the statement immediately after making it, which certainly killed any potential for humor it might have had - and which indicates to me he didn't intend for it to be humorous.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »

So post a link to the full show and let us decide for ourselves. He tried to justify the statement immediately after making it, which certainly killed any potential for humor it might have had - and which indicates to me he didn't intend for it to be humorous.

I don't want to spend time finding the mp3 and posting it here just for you, but, since I listened to the show I will tell you:

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING FEW STATEMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS, LIMBAUGH'S HAUGTY ATTITUDE, OR HOW MUCH OF A DOUCHE YOU ARE....

***At the end of each broadcast hour Limbaugh's show goes to commercial via a loooong buffer that is one long tone that rises in pitch and ends a very 80's radio "BAM" of sorts. Limbaugh nearly always uses these few seconds to say some highly inflammatory yet tongue-in-cheek statement to give the listeners something to chew on for the extended break between broadcast hours. He indeed said the Somali statement first during one of those send-offs. Unless, and I cede this is possible, unless yesterday of all days, Rush decided to use the buffer to say a statement that WASN'T a jest (though he has done just that every day for 20 years) then it was indeed a joke, as far as I am concerned.

I know you're still not publicly satisfied, but you know a multi-multi millionaire like Limbaugh knows what he's doing.

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 01:00:37 AM »

And? I never said that he wasn't biased, dickweed. Simply that he presented his views in a logical, thought-out manner; that is, he put more than three minutes into reading his talking points memo before he went on-air, as Limbaugh seems wont to do. If you're going to criticize one of my posts, might I suggest that you actually bother to read it first?  

Yes, I read your post, but you obviously gave up on reading mine.  Your mentioned his intelligence, and I countered it with a sentence contained IN THE POST YOU JUST QUOTED.

Here:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stop being an absurd ostrich. (word to Opebo)

And yes, Olbermann is also a talking-points regurgitator.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »

Yes, I read your post, but you obviously gave up on reading mine.  Your mentioned his intelligence, and I countered it with a sentence contained IN THE POST YOU JUST QUOTED.

Are you on government disability for your obvious mental retardation? If not, you ought to apply for it; they'd probably give you the entire budget, lock, stock, and barrel. 

Stop being an absurd ostrich. (word to Opebo)[/quote]

Did I deny that he's biased, you cocksucking ingrate?

No, I didn't. I readily admit that Olbermann is biased, and is not an actual reporter. That said, he is far more articulate than Limbaugh, which is most certainly a sign of intelligence (most conservative commentators, on the other hand, being capable of little more than grunting and scratching at their extremities in response to a challenge).

Did I not just say that he was?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:59 AM »

The pirates didn't kill anyone, so the killing of them was clearly excessive force. Plus, it would seem that the adminstration has done nothing about the domestic piracy problem, which has stolen much more money from Americans that these pirates ever did.

*facepalm*
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »

Are you on government disability for your obvious mental retardation? If not, you ought to apply for it; they'd probably give you the entire budget, lock, stock, and barrel. 

Stop being an absurd ostrich. (word to Opebo)

Did I deny that he's biased, you cocksucking ingrate?

No, I didn't. I readily admit that Olbermann is biased, and is not an actual reporter.
[/quote]

I'll try this again...I question Olbermann's intelligence because he doesn't offer himself to any situations where he has to defend his opinions on-air.  The fact that you agree that he's biased is irrelevant.  That obviously doesn't lead you to question his intelligence.  That's where we disagree.

You poor kid.  If you equate being "articulate" with being "intelligent", you have a lot to learn.

Did I not just say that he was?
[/quote]

You led me to believe you thought otherwise when you said this...

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »

You are attempting to reason with someone who would not cut the military budget, he would completely end taxpayer funding of it and -- in his own words -- "rely on financial donations" to operate the Pentagon and all five branches of service.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »

That's the old Limbaugh shuck and jive.  He tells a black caller,  "Hey Willie, call back after you take the bone out of your nose".  But it's just a joke.  He suggests that blacks lack the intellect and discipline to be NFL quarterbacks.  But it's not supposed to be taken seriously -- he's an "entertainer".

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt a hundred times.  But after the hundred and first, even a dim bulb like me starts to see a pattern.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

That's the old Limbaugh shuck and jive.  He tells a black caller,  "Hey Willie, call back after you take the bone out of your nose".  But it's just a joke.  He suggests that blacks lack the intellect and discipline to be NFL quarterbacks.  But it's not supposed to be taken seriously -- he's an "entertainer".

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt a hundred times.  But after the hundred and first, even a dim bulb like me starts to see a pattern.

That's not what he said about McNabb at all. He said McNabb is overrated because he is black. If a white QB choked in as many big games as McNabb, they would be gone.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies