Court Tracker: Honors in the Hizhouse!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:54:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Court Tracker: Honors in the Hizhouse!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Court Tracker: Honors in the Hizhouse!  (Read 4970 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »

If the Amendment is repealed in the voting booth (as seems to be the case after the ruling), I'm not sure there's much I can do about it, honestly.

These actions were clearly disallowed by the Court. What authority does the Atlasian Security Services have to issue currency in the SE?

It's not official currency, and I'm not claiming it's official currency. I am doing this without any support from the government of the SE and I am circulating it myself, without any SE involvement. The Constitution does not prohibit individuals from issuing currency, just regions.

The Senate has the sole power "To establish coin and currency, which shall be the sole legal tender of the Republic of Atlasia, regulate the value thereof, with respect to other coin and currency."

Again, I am not claiming to have legal tender status.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »

If the Amendment is repealed in the voting booth (as seems to be the case after the ruling), I'm not sure there's much I can do about it, honestly.

These actions were clearly disallowed by the Court. What authority does the Atlasian Security Services have to issue currency in the SE?

It's not official currency, and I'm not claiming it's official currency. I am doing this without any support from the government of the SE and I am circulating it myself, without any SE involvement. The Constitution does not prohibit individuals from issuing currency, just regions.

The Senate has the sole power "To establish coin and currency, which shall be the sole legal tender of the Republic of Atlasia, regulate the value thereof, with respect to other coin and currency."

Again, I am not claiming to have legal tender status.

They can be interpreted as separate clauses. The article gives the Senate the sole power to establish coin and currency, to render that currency the sole legal tender of Atlasia, and to regulate the value of that currency.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

From what I understand, the 'currency' would have the same effects as distributing say gift vouchers or even as 'wacky' novelty theme park money- they are issued by an individual or a compny and only reedemable through agreement with the same company or another company. They are valueless except to those who agree to their value.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »

From what I understand, the 'currency' would have the same effects as distributing say gift vouchers or even as 'wacky' novelty theme park money- they are issued by an individual or a compny and only reedemable through agreement with the same company or another company. They are valueless except to those who agree to their value.

In that case any citizen could make a group and claim to have X amount of gold reserves and therefore issue their own currency. It would be anarchy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »

In that case any citizen could make a group and claim to have X amount of gold reserves and therefore issue their own currency. It would be anarchy.

It depends on the reserve, which on an individual level could be gold, or could be say string. Bear in mind that here in Scotland we have 3 different banks (if you count Bank of England, then 4) The notes that these 3 banks print are not legal tender, and are only worth their value if as the bearer you go the bank and demand to receive the equivalent monetary value in 'gold.' No one does, and I technically have £50 of non legal tender in my pocket. But I can, because of arrangment buy £50 of goods/services with that tender. Given that two, three hundred years ago these banks and predecessors were banks who's collateral, in one case was simply linen!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »

So? As long as they actually have gold reserves, I fail to see the problem.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:07 PM »

It's a virtual game. There are no actual gold reserves... So you just say you have them and issue currency. It's like when kids play pretend army and one kid gets shot, he claims invincibility, so when he shoots someone they say they can't die, and it goes down-hill from there.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:26 PM »

So you just say you have them and issue currency. It's like when kids play pretend army and one kid gets shot, he claims invincibility, so when he shoots someone they say they can't die, and it goes down-hill from there.

Like this?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »

So you just say you have them and issue currency. It's like when kids play pretend army and one kid gets shot, he claims invincibility, so when he shoots someone they say they can't die, and it goes down-hill from there.

Like this?

I just assumed we ignored those random announcements because they didn't go against the Constitution and had no significance.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »

It's like when kids play pretend army and one kid gets shot, he claims invincibility, so when he shoots someone they say they can't die, and it goes down-hill from there.

Congratulations for this very good description of SPC.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »

It's like when kids play pretend army and one kid gets shot, he claims invincibility, so when he shoots someone they say they can't die, and it goes down-hill from there.

Very mature.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »

It's a virtual game. There are no actual gold reserves... So you just say you have them and issue currency. It's like when kids play pretend army and one kid gets shot, he claims invincibility, so when he shoots someone they say they can't die, and it goes down-hill from there.

It's true though. I wish we had some sort of rules laid out for that type of thing so this sort of stuff didn't happen, or some sort of "Department of Statistics" to lay out reasonable and realistic economic reports on a semi-regular basis and kept citizens within reasonable fantasy rules. But alas..
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »

Very mature.

But true.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

So, this entire concern is about SPC's active imagination?

I guess I shouldn't have addressed his ASS organization in the opinion because the plain text of the Amendment gave it no powers, regardless of what he might want it to mean (but lacks the linguistic capacity to express in words).

I merely wanted to point out that, regardless of whether a cow has spots or doesn't have spots, it is still a cow.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies