Sarah Palin considered abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:24:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sarah Palin considered abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sarah Palin considered abortion  (Read 3050 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »

Gaffe gaffe gaffe gaffe gaffe gaffe

In her first out-of-state political appearance since last fall's presidential election, former GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin confided to 3,000 at a right-to-life event here that she had "just for a fleeting moment" contemplated seeking an abortion after learning she was pregnant with her son Trig, who will turn 1 on Saturday.

... although it's actually kinda sad. But if you think about it, 1 - why say this at a Right To Life event, and 2 - why say this when it could kill your primary chances?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »

I dunno, I think it makes her seem human and this is actually something that, just for a fleeting moment, made me like her just a little. Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »

Well, she's been such an advocate against abortion, it's kinda hypocritical to come out at a Right to Life event and being all "hey yall, I almost aborted my baby with Down Syndrome"

Makes me respect her less, I guess.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »

i dont see anything wrong with a little honesty and if the anti abortion crowd goes after her for even considering it they are even crazier then i thought.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

how is that a gaffe?  I've many fleeting moments where I wanted to rob a bank, but I didn't
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »

I've many fleeting moments where I wanted to rob a bank, but I didn't
...lol?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »

I agree, there isn't anything wrong with what she said and it doesn't contradict anything she has said in the past.  It actually makes her look more like a normal person that contemplates all options before making a decision.  It's only human after all to question your beliefs.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »

how is that a gaffe?  I've many fleeting moments where I wanted to rob a bank, but I didn't

Do it....siss....rob Bank of America...they won't notice, just have a bitesiss.....
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »

I agree, there isn't anything wrong with what she said and it doesn't contradict anything she has said in the past.  It actually makes her look more like a normal person that contemplates all options before making a decision.  It's only human after all to question your beliefs.

Right.  "One fleeting moment where I considered" is significantly different than "I contemplated" or even "I decided against".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »

So?

You know, some of us strong Pro Lifers don't actually believe those that get/consider abortion to be evil.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »

My question to Sarah Palin would be:

"Now, even though you made the better choice... the right choice, even... aren't you glad you had a choice?"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

"Now, even though you made the better choice... the right choice, even... aren't you glad you had a choice?"

She said she thought of it for just a "fleeting moment." That doesn't mean that having the "choice" was a good thing.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 12:40:30 AM »

She said she thought of it for just a "fleeting moment." That doesn't mean that having the "choice" was a good thing.

Well, she should appreciate it more for others who might not be as fortunate as her.  As much as I'm pro-choice, abortion is not something I would easily ask someone I'm dating and having sex with to go through with.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 01:57:13 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2009, 01:58:44 AM by Eraserhead »

So?

You know, some of us strong Pro Lifers don't actually believe those that get/consider abortion to be evil.

Even consider? Wow, you have some interesting standards. How can you be so sure what would come to your head at least momentarily in a situation like that?

Anyway this is a non-issue and will have no impact on her political future.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 04:20:09 AM »

Sarah Palin can speak the truth!? Shocked
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 07:38:11 AM »

Do it....siss....rob Bank of America...they won't notice, just have a bitesiss.....

Rob Citi. They're already in the red so they wouldn't notice.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »

So?

Even consider? Wow, you have some interesting standards. How can you be so sure what would come to your head at least momentarily in a situation like that?

It sounds very much like you misread his post there.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

I'm somewhat baffled that anyone's feathers are riled over this; there's nothing in her quotation that's incongruous with her stated position on the issue. She never said she seriously contemplated an abortion. She never said, as this thread title falsely suggests, that she "considered" an abortion. That four-word summations of the event may incorrectly represent Palin's words and present her as a hypocrite is unfortunate because this is one of the more honest and valuable items she's contributed to the public discourse.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »

Well, she should appreciate it more for others who might not be as fortunate as her.  As much as I'm pro-choice, abortion is not something I would easily ask someone I'm dating and having sex with to go through with.

Why should she appreciate something she now believes would be a horrible mistake?
So?

Uh...like Gustaf said, you totally misread my post. I clearly stated that we don't hate those that would even strongly consider getting an abortion.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »

No shock she'd think that. Doctors who test for Downs will recommend abortion if the test comes back positive. And the test the doctors preform has a very high false positive rate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

No shock she'd think that. Doctors who test for Downs will recommend abortion if the test comes back positive. And the test the doctors preform has a very high false positive rate.

It's pretty sad that you don't consider that Palin wasn't speaking honestly that she was thinking for herself.

In any case, this is pretty much the opposite of a gaffe. It's a strong personal story and no one's going to condemn her for a moment of weakness. On the contrary, it's humanizing and makes her story better.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »

Yes, a whopping 4% for the quad test.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »

So?

It sounds very much like you misread his post there.

Yeah, I did. Sorry. It was late.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »

My cousin was one of said false-positives. She has no problems.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »

20% actually.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies