Opinion of opebo? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:07:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of opebo? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of opebo?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Opinion of opebo?  (Read 8335 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 01, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »

Still haven't voted.  Wouldn't even know where to start.  He's both very intelligent and insightful.  On the other hand, he's unpleasantly hedonistic and is pessimistic to the point of nihilism (which goes hand-in-hand with the hedonism).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:35:29 PM »

Still haven't voted.  Wouldn't even know where to start.  He's both very intelligent and insightful.  On the other hand, he's unpleasantly hedonistic and is pessimistic to the point of nihilism (which goes hand-in-hand with the hedonism).

Why do hedonism and nihilism go hand in hand?  It is an interesting thought, and if you would, I would appreciate you expanding on it. I am not sure I see the connection. I guess understanding precisely what hedonism means in your mind when you used the word would help. Thanks.

Simply, the way I read opebo's belief system is something like: "The rich oppress the poor, the strong oppress the weak.  This is a fundamental fact of nature.  I can do nothing to change this.  I, thanks to my birthright, am rich and powerful, especially by Thai standards.  I must go about exploiting this power as much as I can by oppressing the poor and the weak to my benefit as much as possible."
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »

Ya, but not all hedonists believe that sort of thing do they Mikado?  I posed the question, because I have certain hedonistic tendencies myself (probably more than average), but I am pretty confident no one would characterize me as a nihilist. Thus the comment caught my attention. Smiley

Well, I was starting from the assumption that nihilism--->hedonism, not vice versa.  I don't know many chaste, straight-arrow nihilists.  But point taken.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies