Tea Parties Have Good Favorables
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tea Parties Have Good Favorables
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Tea Parties Have Good Favorables  (Read 3488 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »

People generally don't like protests.  I find it hard to believe that people would like protests where a President they strongly approve of is called a ''fascist'' on a pretty regular basis. If other polls start showing similar results, I'll gladly eat my words.

Ah, ok. I see. Maybe they just thought the pollster was asking if they liked actual tea parties...you know...like the English tea parties.  Tongue

Maybe! Tongue
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »

I remember they covered the anti war protests a lot along with all the immigrants rights rallies awhile back. This doesn't look any less massive than most of those.
i dont really recall coverage of anti war protests at all. as for the immigration protests yes they did cover those and they were also alot larger then the tea protests however the media was also very derisive of the immigration protests focusing largely on the extremists among the protesters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »

Maybe this was just a practice protest for them?  They don't have a lot of experience being on that side of the "free speach zone".  The next one will be the bastard, cops putting dogs on nuns, fire hoses on home schooled kids and FBI investigations against Hannity.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

Alright, I'm calling BS on this one unless I see some other polls backing it up.

What seems inconceivable as far as this poll goes is that one in four say that they knew someone who attended a tea party. Now considering estimates put total attendance, nationally, at 250,000 to 300,000, I'd say the probability of knowing someone, who attended, is lower than that

Dave
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 03:25:52 PM »

(Almost) one in four is a Fundie, Fundies tend to go to church.  SOMEBODY at their church went to one.

(I'm not saying that's how or why, just a theory)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »

I'd be mainstream Democrat who views these tea parties very unfavorably

I'm still registered Democratic but I find myself alienated and moving more to the right lately. I'm really not a fan of the Religious Right though so switching parties still seems unlikely.

This whole financial crisis, I dare say, has probably shifted me ever so slightly to the left. I'm no fan of the Religious Right though I am somewhat socially conservative

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We had more jobs outsourced here than outsourced overseas, and even then the percentage was miniscule. Off-shoring and general underemployment has been much more of a problem for the working to middle class than outsourcing, which almost totally effects the (generally high skills, well paid) tech industry. [/quote]

I've, obviously, made the error of interchanging outsourcing for offshoring

I'm pretty sure not wanting hundreds of billions of dollars to go to corporate crooks is the opposite. I actually know a few leftists and anarchists elsewhere who attended. [/quote]

Yes, the bailouts are opposed by many on the Left as well as the Right but, ideologically, for very different reasons

I disagree. If you factor in property tax, capital gains, etc. a lot of the professional and upper class is paying an enormous amount. My family is already paying well over 40% of their income in taxes as it is. With the proposed changes it's going to be over 50%. And really, what is 'fair' anyway? Even a lot of liberal Democrats here would balk at people paying more than 33% of their income, yet people are paying well over that in many cases (and not just millionaires). [/quote]

This is a section from a pm, of some time ago, with Mike Naso, which, basically, sums up where I stand on income tax

I'd favor letting the Bush cuts expire but favor another comprehensive reform package to replace it. As far as federal income tax is concerned; I'd be minded, if possible, to cut 10% to 5%, 15% to 10% and 25% to 20%, with new rates of 25%, 30%, 35% and 40%

I favor fair, progressive taxation but by no means punitive levels of taxation so anything beyond 40% is a no no. Were any Democrat to propose anything higher than 40%, lets just say it would be an issue with which I'm at variance

Dave
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »

Alright, I'm calling BS on this one unless I see some other polls backing it up.

What seems inconceivable as far as this poll goes is that one in four say that they knew someone who attended a tea party. Now considering estimates put total attendance, nationally, at 250,000 to 300,000, I'd say the probability of knowing someone, who attended, is lower than that

Dave

Actually, estimates are a lot higher than that. Try reading something other than Nate Silver.

http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=tea-party

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 04:09:09 PM »

Dave

Actually, estimates are a lot higher than that. Try reading something other than Nate Silver.

Pjtv? Really?

Aren't they the ones who sent Joe the Plumber at Gaza as a war correspondent?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »

Dave

Pjtv? Really?

Okay, then here are 4 estimates. Three are higher than the range he said, and guess the one that lowballed the turnout? You guessed it! Nappy Nate Silver!

http://northshorejournal.org/tea-party-turnout-nationwide
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »

Dave

Pjtv? Really?

Okay, then here are 4 estimates. Three are higher than the range he said, and guess the one that lowballed the turnout? You guessed it! Nappy Nate Silver!

http://northshorejournal.org/tea-party-turnout-nationwide

Even at the maximum estimate it's still a derisory turnout considering all the hype Roll Eyes the tea-party protest day was given

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »

I do expect to see Scott flaunting this poll on Hannity's show. He has been known to do that with these type of things.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »

Rasmussen has been showing some really out of whack results lately. His election polls are very good, especially when he gets closer to election day, but I think a bit like Strategic Vision, his polls tend towards the hackish the farther you are from election day. A ton of his questions are borderline push polls, and his results are substantially out of whack with even other automated services like surveyusa and his own, usually much more accurate state polls.

I basically just ignore any issue based poll from Rasmussen and I would like to see the numbers on this from someone else.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »

This is the exact question:

Do you have a very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable or very unfavorable impression of the tea party protests?

How is that a push poll?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2009, 08:51:28 PM by Sliced Bread the Great »

Do you mean Gallup?

LOL
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 08:03:31 PM »

Do you have a very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable or very unfavorable impression of the tea party protests?

How is that a push poll?

Not using the first question(how closely are you following the protests) as a filter for one. Any other pollster would have only asked of people who were at least somewhat following the movement. Most pollsters would only ask those respondents
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »

How is that a push poll?

Not using the first question(how closely are you following the protests) as a filter for one. Any other pollster would have only asked of people who were at least somewhat following the movement. Most pollsters would only ask those respondents

No they wouldn't. They would have asked random adults.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »

If even if they did, that wouldn't make any sense.

If a certain segment have never heard of them or know little, then that is something that should be reflected in the data.

If you take away that portion of the population, the poll becomes defunct from being unrepresentative.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »

If a certain segment have never heard of them or know little, then that is something that should be reflected in the data.

If you take away that portion of the population, the poll becomes defunct from being unrepresentative.

It also becomes relatively meaningless if the majority of the people in your poll have no clue what the tea party movement is. Look at how SurveyUSA for instance did the debate polls last year, they only asked people who watched them. It might have been interesting to find out how people who didn't felt about them based on rumors they had heard, but it would not have been useful in the same manner.

Secondly, I have no clue how Rasmussen can claim to be doing a likely voter screen right now if he doesn't use such questions, because the manner he is doing it is resulting in results that are 10+ points off other people's polls.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »

It also becomes relatively meaningless if the majority of the people in your poll have no clue what the tea party movement is. Look at how SurveyUSA for instance did the debate polls last year, they only asked people who watched them. It might have been interesting to find out how people who didn't felt about them based on rumors they had heard, but it would not have been useful in the same manner.

Secondly, I have no clue how Rasmussen can claim to be doing a likely voter screen right now if he doesn't use such questions, because the manner he is doing it is resulting in results that are 10+ points off other people's polls.

You do realize 15% picked the "not sure" option, right? So your asinine conclusion that this goaded people into picking favorable is just that, an asinine conclusion.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »

Rowan, just because you want to believe this poll does not mean that it is accurate in the face of conflicting evidence.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »

Apples and Oranges.

The approve to disapprove ratio is in favor of the tea parties. Those not sure were allowed to vote just that (15%).

BTW, polling likely voters is much different than polling adults (including the not even registered).
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »

Rowan, just because you want to believe this poll does not mean that it is accurate in the face of conflicting evidence.

Conflicting evidence? Do share.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »

Conflicting evidence? Do share.

First, I've pointed out on the other forum that Rasmussen's results skew Republican.
Second, Dan the Roman has been posting about structural flaws in the design of the poll.
Third, Rasmussen's media strategy, including Scott's appearances on Fox News, has been to position themselves as a generator of numbers for Republican media messages.

Your response has been, basically, "c'mon guys, I think it still makes sense."
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 10:02:46 AM »

First, I've pointed out on the other forum that Rasmussen's results skew Republican.

That's your opinion. He was one of the most accurate pollsters in 2008.

[quote]Second, Dan the Roman has been posting about structural flaws in the design of the poll.[quote/]

And I was pointing out that theres nothing wrong with this poll. Rasmussen didn't force people to give an opinion on the tea party. He included an option for those that were "not sure".

[quote]Third, Rasmussen's media strategy, including Scott's appearances on Fox News, has been to position themselves as a generator of numbers for Republican media messages.[quote/]

Again, that's your opinion.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:57 AM »

That's your opinion. He was one of the most accurate pollsters in 2008.

for his national poll and guess what daily kos r2k polls where one of the most accurate too i believe, but im sure you feel the same way about those polls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies