Want to do some petty crime? Move to Contra Costa California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:14:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Want to do some petty crime? Move to Contra Costa California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Want to do some petty crime? Move to Contra Costa California  (Read 1872 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
More at link and no this isn't an article from The Onion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:43:46 AM »

[read the whole article]

What.  The. Heck.

?

That can't be true.

Here's my FAV part:
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »

How much pot can you safely carry?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »

In Berkeley (neighboring county), it used to be 2.5 lbs with a prescription, but I remember seeing a measure on the '08 ballot to expand that further.  Why any medical patient would need more than $6,000 worth of marijuana at one time, I don't know...

/sidenote
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »

Without hurting myself?  Maybe 50 or 60lbs in a good backpack/dufflebag.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 01:35:11 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2009, 02:19:02 AM by Lunar »

You've obviously never tried.  There's no way that even 10lb would fit in a backpack...I mean...a 50lb backpack isn't that hurtful, I used to have backpacks that heavy in highschool with textbooks...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:14:23 AM »

You've obviously never tried.  There's no way that even 10lb would fit in a backpack
Have you seen how hard they sometimes press pot down to nowadays?  Me either!  But I hear it is amazing and depressing (PUN!).  And I was thinking something along these lines:

I'm an old man ya see.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2009, 08:52:36 AM by Torie »

In Berkeley (neighboring county), it used to be 2.5 lbs with a prescription, but I remember seeing a measure on the '08 ballot to expand that further.  Why any medical patient would need more than $6,000 worth of marijuana at one time, I don't know...

/sidenote

That is pretty cheap weed. I figure that at $400 an ounce minimum, we are in the neighborhood of around 30K ($400*28.3495*2.5=$28,349). It could be closer to 40K for the "good" stuff. Smiley
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »

The Best Buys in Contra Costa better lock and load.... if you still can in California.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »

He just realises the crime statistics will go down... if nothing's prosecuted, it can't be counted as a crime.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »

Translation (as I see it):

The excessive budget cuts which have been made to our office make it impossible for us to do our job.  We are essentially going to have to triage which cases to prosecute and which to let go because we don't have the resources to go after all the crooks.

Therefore, we are making this public threat that if you want a district attorney's office you have to pay for it, the courts do not run on magical libertarian pixie dust(TM).  Hopefully you will come to your senses and restore funding.  Otherwise, consider the consequences to be on your head.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »

The excessive budget cuts which have been made to our office make it impossible for us to do our job.  We are essentially going to have to triage which cases to prosecute and which to let go because we don't have the resources to go after all the crooks.

Therefore, we are making this public threat that if you want a district attorney's office you have to pay for it, the courts do not run on magical libertarian pixie dust(TM).  Hopefully you will come to your senses and restore funding.  Otherwise, consider the consequences to be on your head.
You are probably correct.  Still, they should could have come up with a better way than this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »

You are probably correct.  Still, they should could have come up with a better way than this.

Like what?  Sprinkling the DA's office with magical libertarian pixie dust™?

You can't just get away with "well, they could ahve come up with a better way"

You're right... raise taxes. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19:59 PM »

California's budget problems are FUBAR. Maybe they should cut some of those 6-digit pensions that some deadwood state employees collect.

Prop. 13 makes it very difficult to raise taxes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »

"very difficult" Jfern?  That's the understatement of the 21st century
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:39 PM »

California's budget problems are FUBAR. Maybe they should cut some of those 6-digit pensions that some deadwood state employees collect.

Prop. 13 makes it very difficult to raise taxes.

Well, they could do it the "no new taxes" Tim Pawlenty way and just raise fees!  You know.. make middle class families mortgage the house and cash in the college fund to buy license tabs... that'd probably bag a few petty thieves.  And then your local politicians can run on the "I didn't raise taxes!" line.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »

Isn't that what they are going to have to do anyway?  Or take away other city services.

Add a subtle jab at something you associate with here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2009, 11:07:49 AM by Alcon »

You can get away with a lot of scary before misdemeanor assault becomes felony assault in most states.  I don't care what pot they aren't prosecuting, but isn't this going to do a good deal to empower abusive a-holes?  Wife-choking, etc., included

The Best Buys in Contra Costa better lock and load.... if you still can in California.

...but I'm pretty sure organized retail theft is a felony most places, so overpriced Japanese electronics are a-okay
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 11:59:27 AM »

Right, because the first the first thing libertarians advocate cutting is the judiciary. Roll Eyes

At any rate, this could be solved by allowing private criminal prosecutions. Here in Portugal, there are certain types of very petty crime that the state won't prosecute and you have to do it yourself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies