Obama Earth Day Flights Burned More Than 9,000 Gallons Of Fuel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:27:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Earth Day Flights Burned More Than 9,000 Gallons Of Fuel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama Earth Day Flights Burned More Than 9,000 Gallons Of Fuel  (Read 1659 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »

It happens every time a president leaves town to make an Earth Day speech. Reporters scramble to point out how much fuel was expended so the President could talk about conserving energy and using alternative fuels.

In flying to and from Iowa today, President Obama took two flights on Air Force One and four on Marine One.

The press office at Andrews AFB wouldn’t give me the fuel consumption numbers for the 747 that serves as Air Force One without the approval of the White House Press Office, which as I write this has yet to be given.

But Boeing says its 747 burns about 5 gallons of fuel per mile. It’s 895 miles from Washington to Des Moines, so a round trip brings the fuel consumption for the fixed-wing portion of the President’s trip to 8,950 gallons.

(AP )
The trip also put President Obama on Marine One for round-trip flights between the White House and Andrews AFB and between Des Moines International Airport and Newton, Iowa, site of his Earth Day speech. It totaled about an hour of flight time. The VH-3D that serves as Marine One consumes about 1200 pounds of fuel per hour which comes out to about 166 gallons consumed flying the President today.

Not included in these calculations are the presidential vehicles that took him the short distance from the landing zone in Newton to the event site at the Trinity Structural Towers Manufacturing Plant.

In his speech there, President Obama called for a “new era of energy exploration in America.”

At a plant that manufactures the towers for wind turbines, he urged Americans to support his plan for promoting expanded use of alternative and renewable fuels.

And he announced that for the first time, the Interior Department would be leasing federal waters for projects to generate electricity from wind and ocean currents.

President Obama could have saved at least 9,116 gallons of fuel by giving his speech at the White House – but no wind turbines are manufactured here.

(CBS)
Mark Knoller is a CBS News White House correspondent. You can read more of his posts in Hotsheet here.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »

Yawn.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »

You mean totally predictable? I agree. That is what you meant, right? Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »

^^^

Conservatives had a point when they criticized Al Gore for how much energy his mansion used. But give me a break... Politicians have to fly around a lot.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »

^^^

Conservatives had a point when they criticized Al Gore for how much energy his mansion used. But give me a break... Politicians have to fly around a lot.
If he really cared that much wouldn't he just 'downgrade' to first class on some non-private airline with about 100 bodyguards by his side or something?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:28:31 PM »

^^^

They sure do in country the size of the U.S

Dave
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »

^^^

If he really cared that much wouldn't he just 'downgrade' to first class on some non-private airline with about 100 bodyguards by his side or something?

What's the difference then, if he fills up the entire plane?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

I understand a 737 uses less fuel than an old 747....but come on, let's be reasonable.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »

The media really needs to cut back. Our society's fixation of hypocrisy has spiraled way out of control.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »

The media really needs to cut back. Our society's fixation of hypocrisy has spiraled way out of control.
Are you kidding me? People aren't called out enough. And it's not just hypocrisy, if you compare our media to pretty much every other they're more compliant and focused on fluff. I read European press all the time and the difference in quality is pretty embarrassing generally, even given their own biases.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »

Ride a bike.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »

Pretty much sums it up.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »

Why are you yawning?  Do you not agree that burning jet fuel is bad for the environment? 

Sure.  But it doesn't make sense to burn all that sh**t into the air, for the sake of delivering a speech against "burning sh**t into the air".  I mean, did he really have to go to Newton, Iowa to give an Earth Day speech?

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »

Perhaps he should order a tailor-made vehicle running on cow farts, like John Boehner suggested.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »

Are you kidding me? People aren't called out enough. And it's not just hypocrisy, if you compare our media to pretty much every other they're more compliant and focused on fluff. I read European press all the time and the difference in quality is pretty embarrassing generally, even given their own biases.

I agree, because our media culture focuses on the wrong kind of hypocrisy. Media is a business here, meant to capture as many eyeballs as possible (sorta like some freaky horror movie). Rather than look for the real problems in society, CNN and Fox and MSNBC fill their 24 hours with pure garbage.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind media attention on lies and scams and corruption, but things like this become ridiculous.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:11 AM »

The king can do as he pleases.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »

^^^

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »

Obviously totally unusual for Presidents to do.....absolutely shameful.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »

We are not talking about George W. Bush or Dick Cheney, in case you failed to notice.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »

^^^

Sure.  But it doesn't make sense to burn all that sh**t into the air, for the sake of delivering a speech against "burning sh**t into the air".  I mean, did he really have to go to Newton, Iowa to give an Earth Day speech?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »

the concept of "Earth Day" is such a joke and apparently most politicians treat it as such
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:41 PM »

the concept of "Earth Day" is such a joke and apparently most politicians treat it as such

Especially since one of the founders of the day was a murderer.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »

certainly nothing to approve of....but what does the person that started something (in this case a "holiday" or whatever) have to do with the merits of the thing itself?

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »

certainly nothing to approve of....but what does the person that started something (in this case a "holiday" or whatever) have to do with the merits of the thing itself?

Exactly. David Duke should not tarnish the reputation of the KKK.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies