Opinion of Sam Spade (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:46:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Sam Spade (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Sam Spade
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Opinion of Sam Spade  (Read 6508 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: April 28, 2009, 12:23:23 AM »

I haven't seen Sam avoid a discussion about him for more than a few posts... what's happening?

Haven't been around?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:46:17 AM »

Sam and I have known each other for a long time, and he is very good internet friend of mine, so I can't be objective.

But irrespective of that, Sam combines a very high IQ and logical mind, with expertise in a lot of fields (politics, law, economics, history, sociology and I am sure I have missed something), which he shares with us.

Art and music.  Truthfully, if there's one field I would enjoy talking about and have more expertise in more than all these others, it's that.  But, as I mentioned in the other thread, that world is dead right now, for the most part.

My lament over its demise is probably one reason why I am so fascinated with all things that connect to culture.  It's probably why I also have, what Gully I think called a "conservative cultural bias" mindset.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I thought it was "white shoe" not "silk stocking", though maybe you were just referring to the Harvard male contingent.

And although it might seem odd, I'm still a "downmarket" person.  I spent too many of my formative years in the barrio and in redneck heartland.  I probably know more off-color (serious off-color) jokes on every race, ethnic group, religion, gender, what-have-you than anyone else on this forum.  To that I can thank my grandfather, who was a real great person, with a good heart.  Voted straight Democratic, like most Southerners, except for Kennedy because he was a Catholic.  lol

Also, I think the "f****t" comments occur because there were too many years I spent around the artistic types, who espoused *this* bullsh!t idea and became *that* ("playing for the other team" is an example) just for attention or because it made a "statement", and to now see this become a focal point of culture (not to mention this forum) just pisses me off quite a bit.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:48:47 AM »

I'm actually impressed that he hasn't said something along the lines of:

"Unlike the rest of you, I'm not a publicity hound.  I don't care what f****ts on the Internet care about me.  Right now I'm more focused on the recession.  These new numbers have very, very bad consequences.  I won't say what quite yet, but be on your guard.  Things will get worse before they get better."

Why would he say something like that? That sounds way too optimistic to fit into his current persona.

True.  Change the last sentence from "Things will get worse before they get better" to "Things will get worse."

ha!  Good one.

Seriously though, I really don't care what anyone says about me.  I'll respond when I want to.

And the word's "depression".  And things will get worse.  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »

He's what I liked to call an "educated dumb"

If I had my way, you wouldn't be calling anyone anything on this forum.  But, alas, I'm not as susceptible to bribery.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »

You passion is art and music eh Sam?  I didn't know that, and haven't seen you post about that. Due to my older brother, one of my hobbies is modern classical music, which most people hate. What kind of art and music, and do you listen, or play, or compose or paint, or photograph, etc?

Musician, composer mainly, though I obviously listen and play.  My art knowledge is on the observational side.  I can't draw to save my life (more than stick figures) and photography never interested me.

So, modern classical music - ya, I get it.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »

Absolute HP.

Beyond the gay hate, he's a hypocrite and a braggart, and his analysis is questionable at best. He sounds impressive but (as with anyone who claims to have a deep knowledge of the future trends) he's an arrogant hack who is no more correct than the 'um i think Obama will win just because' poster.

Yeah, though I think the lack of confidence in his masculinity that is apparent in those statements is more of a ruse on his part for his own amusement.

Which, come to think of it, maybe actually makes it worse. Hmm.

To Nym - I like to think that I'm good at reading human psychology, but I have always completely hated classes that deal with it.  Smiley

Also - to hugh:  No one (and I repeat no one) has knowledge of future trends.  Don't ever kid yourself. 

The key to success in life is being able to read the facts and information presented, recognize that there are a number of likely possible outcomes (and possible events that can influence those outcomes) and bet/invest/decide on the most likely one occurring, while hedging against the less likely possibilities.

Therefore, you can know that whenever I'm saying something for certain - 1) I consider the less likely possibilities to be de minimis; or 2) I'm bullsh!tting with people.

Normally, I think that my posts are somewhat clear on this to the smarter posters.  Maybe I'm wrong, however...  Which one do you think was my "Hillary Clinton is certain to win the primary call" in March/April 2009?  Which one do you think is my present call of "There's no way this economy's getting better (i.e. not stagnant or declining) by 2011 at the earliest?"
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »

I also finds his attempts to write off anything bad that happens to the Republican party as ultimately helpful to it annoying.

That's merely because of its present state (i.e. crumbling, if not collapsing to a certain extent).  Wouldn't have said that 6, heck, even 4 years ago, to any degree, if at all.

You see, the Republican party is going through a state quite similar to what our economy will eventually have to go through (sooner rather than later) - a clearing out of the bad debts and obligations.  Anything that furthers this cause, as a Republican, I should be supportive of.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »

The use of the word "f****t" is really right out of high school, it's a whole "HA HA I'M BEING OFFENSIVE, LOLZ I'M NOT PC!" type deal which most people grow out of by age 16.

I think that I'm certainly not the only one who finds it ironic that you're commenting about people not growing out of high school antics.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »

I also finds his attempts to write off anything bad that happens to the Republican party as ultimately helpful to it annoying.

That's merely because of its present state (i.e. crumbling, if not collapsing to a certain extent).  Wouldn't have said that 6, heck, even 4 years ago, to any degree, if at all.

You see, the Republican party is going through a state quite similar to what our economy will eventually have to go through (sooner rather than later) - a clearing out of the bad debts and obligations.  Anything that furthers this cause, as a Republican, I should be supportive of.

How is it possible for a political party to be in a strong majority without lots of dead weight?

I wouldn't disagree with that.  But all political parties tend to have dead weight of some sort.  When the political party is in bad shape (as mentioned above), the dead weight tends to drag the party from engaging in what should be referred to as "creative destruction"
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »

Sam, people aren't refraining from using that word, or being 'political correct' just to get at you personally.

Huh.  Do you think I take any of this personally?  It's an *internet* forum.  IRL, the word is used more than you think.

Cry

I can't help it that most black people have below-average intelligence.

Well, at least that proves you're somewhat normal.  Smiley

Probably not unless pushed.  I haven't been pushed that often, but it has happened.  They weren't as normal as you are.  Besides, it earned me a bit of respect from the heterosexual male community of musicians, so it was worth it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:51 AM »

Fair enough, reminds me a little of JJ though.

So did you actually switch your registration?

JJ isn't stupid.  He's just tends to be too wedded to his own particular ideas to note when something else may be occurring which sets his whole conclusion wrong.

I'm saying it needs to be done.  I'm not saying it's going to lead to anything great - heck it may lead to another 1930s.  But without it, there is a reasonable possibility out there that the Republican party doesn't even exist in 10 years.  And it's the only way to possibly rescusitate the party quickly from crumbling/collapse.

As to voter registration - nope.  If I did, the local Republicans might try to get me to run for a local office so that I can get 7-10% of the vote.  No thanks.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies