Specter to switch parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:03:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Specter to switch parties (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Specter to switch parties  (Read 41994 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »

Hope you're happy, Don!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »

We'll take him for now but I hope we can primary him.

No one big will challenge him. I'd love to be wrong though.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »

If this is true, congratulations to my Democratic friends on gaining a great Senator and achieving 60 votes in the U.S. Senate.

And yet your Facebook status says nothing like this. Pick a side, Don. Really.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »

"Hi. How are you? I just wanted to let you know we're going to have a great time kicking your ass next November. Have a great day!"

Wink
If this is true, congratulations to my Democratic friends on gaining a great Senator and achieving 60 votes in the U.S. Senate.

Now he can put "Obama and Specter for Working Families" and win that way.  What's your point?

The point is that refuse to acknowledge that that move was ridiculous and if anyone you didn't like did it, you'd be screaming about it.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »

I want every Republican dope on this forum that defended this piece of trash to apologize.
Specter has said that he wil not change his position on card check.

LOL
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

Don, who are you supporting in the General?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »

Didn't you recently yell at me Phil for alluding to Specter possibly running as an independent? And now he is a Democrat. When will you learn to stop disagreeing with me? It's no longer ironic, just boring.

Tongue

I "yelled" about him running as an Independent. He isn't doing that.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »

Uh huh. Maybe we'll get you to man up to your mistakes in a year, Don. I won't hold my breath though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »

Rush Limbaugh is now advocating that McCain switch next.  Do you agree with that Phil?

No and stop trying to change the subject. I've made clear that I think McCain is a conservative and have frequently said that Rush is a tool.

Stop running away when you're losing, Don.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »

Sad day in that it reflects the changed (or changing) political landscape in this country.

Hmmph.

It is kind of sad to see all the moderates leave the party.....

Uh huh. And when he's running in the Dem primary next year, he'll be a liberal hero. Give me a break.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2009, 11:51:22 AM by Keystone Phil »

Well Bob Casey isn't exactly a liberal icon either.

He didn't need to be. He's a Casey.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »

I just got Specter's statement released to the Philly GOP. Laughable.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »

Only an hour late.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 12:01:20 PM »

Now you dislike him? What the hell, Walter?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »

FOX headline, Specter 'Turns back on GOP voters'. Disgusting.

LOL he didn't?

I was literally responding to a post about Specter kissing up to conservatives/Republicans when I heard the news. He's spineless and turned his back on the people he was guilting into supporting him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

Although I really don't understand why Specter was apparently so sure he was sticking with the GOP last month.

LOL

Uh...he was lying? Let's go with that answer. He's been at least thinking about this for awhile so he was never "so sure" about staying.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »

Specter's own words: “I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.”

Translation: I have slighted and flat out betrayed my loyal Republican constituents over 29 years one time too many and they won't put up with it any longer. I must therefore leave the party, retire from politics or end my career with a humiliating primary defeat. If the economy tanks more like I think it will this is going to be fun...

flat out betrayed? Seems more like the party betrayed him to me.

Roll Eyes

Yeah, we betrayed him all right. Notice how you refuse to acknowledge how Specter kept going on and on about he was a Republican a month ago and tried pandering to us, only to conveniently change his mind when he saw that he'd be crushed.

No acknowledgment that Specter, at the very least, lied about switching.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

Specter is not switching to the Democrat Party, he is returning to it.  Remember, after he lost won his 1965 race for District Attorney as a Democrat, he switched to Republican.

Wrong

He wasn't getting the backing of the local Dems so he had to leave. He won the GOP backing and "stuck with us" until today.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

Democrats are like an ugly girl who needs a prom date: They'll take anyone.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid should htmldon feel right now for backing Specter over Toomey in 2004?  I say... about a 47.  Kerry & Specter for working families!

Don has been a child and avoided the topic except for one time when he tried to justify it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It will be great. This guy is the worst panderer in PA political history.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »

Specter's own words: “I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.”

Translation: I have slighted and flat out betrayed my loyal Republican constituents over 29 years one time too many and they won't put up with it any longer. I must therefore leave the party, retire from politics or end my career with a humiliating primary defeat. If the economy tanks more like I think it will this is going to be fun...

flat out betrayed? Seems more like the party betrayed him to me.

Roll Eyes

Yeah, we betrayed him all right. Notice how you refuse to acknowledge how Specter kept going on and on about he was a Republican a month ago and tried pandering to us, only to conveniently change his mind when he saw that he'd be crushed.
No acknowledgment that Specter, at the very least, lied about switching.

you don't believe that Specter was well aware that he would lose a month ago?

Oh, I do. The point I'm making is that he lied when he made that statement about being a Republican and running as a Republican in 2010. You guys are conveniently ignoring that.

Specter is not switching to the Democrat Party, he is returning to it.  Remember, after he lost won his 1965 race for District Attorney as a Democrat, he switched to Republican.

Wrong

He wasn't getting the backing of the local Dems so he had to leave. He won the GOP backing and "stuck with us" until today.

he still ran as a registered Democrat. Wink

Uh...I don't know about that. Whatever the case, he only had a chance at our nomination, won it and switched over.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »

The Facebook and Conservative website comments are amazing.  Our own activists want to give away Snowe, Collins, McCain, Alexander, Gov. Schwarzenegger, to the Dems.

This is insanity.

Irrelevant. Stop trying to change the subject.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

I'll be bumping this with Democrat-Republican-Democrat Specter/Specter campaign quotes...

"Without Senator Specter's seat in the Senate, which Mr. Toomey would certainly lose, there would no longer be 41 Republican Senators to filibuster and stop the Democrats from passing card check, raising taxes, and implementing President Obama's massive spending plans," said Nicholas [Specter's Campaign Manager].

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »

The Facebook and Conservative website comments are amazing.  Our own activists want to give away Snowe, Collins, McCain, Alexander, Gov. Schwarzenegger, to the Dems.

This is insanity.

Irrelevant. Stop trying to change the subject.

How is the fact that our Party is going to be reduced to two redneck drunks sitting outside a trailer somewhere in Alabama irrelevant to this subject?  That is until one of the drunks accuses the other drunk of being a RINO, and Jimbo the drunk becomes America's last Republican.

Don, you are such a crybaby. You refuse to admit that Specter screwed us. You refuse to admit that you were wrong about your hero. You want to make this about a small group of people that mislabel a bunch of people as RINOs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 12:04:45 AM »

Specter said something like "this isn't good for the management of government" when Jeffords left. Stay consistent, Arlen.

Chris Matthews and Michael Smerconish are talking up Tom Ridge as a challenger to Toomey and someone who could beat Specter.

I tend to think that would be too cute by half. Ridge is like Specter... and I don't think he could win in a primary by substituting for Specter when Specter was getting his ass kicked.

Chris just loves saying whatever the hell comes to his mind.

Ridge won't run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 12:20:46 AM »

Specter said something like "this isn't good for the management of government" when Jeffords left. Stay consistent, Arlen.

He legislatively and publicly fought the ability for Senators to switch parties mid-term.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0409/Specter_tried_to_block_party_switching.html

I love a good hypocrite.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies