Sorry guys (the new hate crimes bill doesn't cover all of us)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:23:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sorry guys (the new hate crimes bill doesn't cover all of us)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sorry guys (the new hate crimes bill doesn't cover all of us)  (Read 2079 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »

"The term sexual orientation,'' this proposed amendment said, ``as used in this act, or any amendments made by this act, does not include apotemnophilia, asphyxophilia, autogynephilia, coprophilia, exhibitionism, fetishism, frotteurism, gerontosexuality, incest, kleptophilia, klismaphilia, necrophilia, partialism, pedophilia, sexual masochism, sexual sadism, telephone scatalogia, toucherism, transgenderism, transsexual, transvestite, transvestic fetishism, urophilia, voyeurism , or zoophilia.''  -- Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL)

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »

He's got a point, I think. (assuming he meant to criticize the bill)

That's why I'm kind of sceptical of "hate crime" legislation, as there are so many things that aren't included in those kinds of laws.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2009, 07:17:54 PM by Lunar »

We're looking at the list!

I have mixed views on it, as I think using graffiti to spray "Nazi white power Jews die" on a synagogue is an act of intimidation that should be punished and discouraged with something more powerful than putting your initials up underneath a highway.  And then there is such a confluence of different laws and some difficulty in proving the exact motivation for a crime.  If state laws already exist to make intimidation [or whatever] a crime, then the hate crime here would seem redundant.

And there's another element to this too.  Say, necrophilia, which I think should be illegal [is it? I hope so but doubt it] assuming the corpse, when alive, didn't give consent.  Is someone who kills an open necrophiliac THAT different, then from someone who kills a guy who brags about, say, beating his wife [or steals gum, or whatever, if you want to make necrophilia less bold of a crime]?  If you bragged about being sexually aroused from raping women and confessed to doing it a few times, and someone responds violently to that, isn't that less "hate"-ish than attacking someone saying they were aroused from such things but never acted on it?  It's an interesting debate, to say the least.

As a side note, I don't know what a lot of those acts are, but for "telephone scatalogia" caught my interest and I had to look it up in case it involved both phones and scat [poo], but it does't.  It's just making obscene phone calls.

Also, why aren't transgendered people covered?  LBGT is an accepted acronym for sexual orientation, isn't it?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »

I think you guys may be misunderstanding the quoted passage. The long list of funny words are the different things the bill is saying "sexual orientation" may NOT be construed to mean. It's the way of putting anti-gay hate crimes on the books without some tricky lawyer misconstruing it to get off a pedophile off the hook or something.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »

I think you guys may be misunderstanding the quoted passage. The long list of funny words are the different things the bill is saying "sexual orientation" may NOT be construed to mean.

I think I understand what he was getting at, anything I said otherwise was a typo
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »

Time for fun!  Bold the words that you aren't familiar with:

"The term sexual orientation,'' this proposed amendment said, ``as used in this act, or any amendments made by this act, does not include apotemnophilia, asphyxophilia, autogynephilia (recognize the roots, but can't figure out what "love of self woman" could mean), coprophilia, exhibitionism, fetishism, frotteurism, gerontosexuality (is liking old people now deviant?), incest, kleptophilia (this exists?), klismaphilia, necrophilia, partialism (no clue what that could mean), pedophilia, sexual masochism, sexual sadism, telephone scatalogia (phone sex?), toucherism, transgenderism, transsexual, transvestite, transvestic fetishism, urophilia, voyeurism , or zoophilia.''  -- Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL)

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »

I'm kind of confused about some of them.. .say, kleptophilia.  You get sexually aroused from stealing?  I'm too scared to look most of them up.

As I said earlier, the only one I was compelled to look up against my self-advice was "telephone scatalogia" because I thought scat had a remote chance of being a root that involved poop, and telephones aren't usually compatible with poo
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »

"The term sexual orientation,'' this proposed amendment said, ``as used in this act, or any amendments made by this act, does not include apotemnophilia, asphyxophilia, autogynephilia (recognize the roots, but can't figure out what "love of self woman" could mean), coprophilia, exhibitionism, fetishism, frotteurism, gerontosexuality (is liking old people now deviant?), incest, kleptophilia (this exists?), klismaphilia, necrophilia, partialism (no clue what that could mean), pedophilia, sexual masochism, sexual sadism, telephone scatalogia (phone sex?), toucherism, transgenderism, transsexual, transvestite, transvestic fetishism, urophilia, voyeurism , or zoophilia.''  -- Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL)

Autogynephilia is the attraction of a straight (or bisexual, I guess) man to himself dressed up in drag. Don't know about the other three.

Interestingly, no mention of the female equivalent, autoandrophilia.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

there's always Google for the brave soul
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »

"Apotemnophilia is the erotic interest in being or looking like an amputee. It should not be confused with acrotomophilia, which is the erotic interest in people who are amputees."

lol wut?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »

Autogynephilia is the attraction of a straight (or bisexual, I guess) man to himself dressed up in drag. Don't know about the other three.

Interestingly, no mention of the female equivalent, autoandrophilia.

Partialism is really innocuous. It's basically just fetishism directed towards a non-sexual body part. Klismaphilia is not as innocuous though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »

"Apotemnophilia is the erotic interest in being or looking like an amputee. It should not be confused with acrotomophilia, which is the erotic interest in people who are amputees."

lol wut?

"Looking like" an amputee?  How does one do that?

And I think some of these obscure sexualities are actually nice since amputees need people like them, I presume, in order to have a sex life.  Hopefully they don't have to rely on Craiglist
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »

As I said earlier, the only one I was compelled to look up against my self-advice was "telephone scatalogia" because I thought scat had a remote chance of being a root that involved poop, and telephones aren't usually compatible with poo
That too is the one I'm most curious about as well.  I knew what "scatalogia" meant....but I'm really confused as to how it works over a telephone.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »

it's just exotic feelings when making obscene telephone calls, rather boring really
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51:15 PM »

So everybody has suffered from this condition at some point or another then?  Probably why it didnt' make the list.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »

I don't think we're talking about phone sex here sir
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »

I know...was a poor joke.

I was trying to imply that everybody routinely makes random obscene phone calls while masterbating.  I sometimes forget that everbody doesn't live inside my head.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »

lol wut?

Presumably with a chainsaw and lots of morphine.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

lol wut?

Oh. I was thinking the old "arm in the shirt" trick.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »

lol wut?

You mean I didn't have to...oh, damn.  One moment, need to figure out how to dial 911 with one hand.

EDIT:

Wait, I could do that before.  Must be the morphine.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 11:46:30 PM »

lol wut?

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »

And there's another element to this too.  Say, necrophilia, which I think should be illegal [is it? I hope so but doubt it] assuming the corpse, when alive, didn't give consent.  Is someone who kills an open necrophiliac THAT different, then from someone who kills a guy who brags about, say, beating his wife [or steals gum, or whatever, if you want to make necrophilia less bold of a crime]?  If you bragged about being sexually aroused from raping women and confessed to doing it a few times, and someone responds violently to that, isn't that less "hate"-ish than attacking someone saying they were aroused from such things but never acted on it?  It's an interesting debate, to say the least.

As a side note, I don't know what a lot of those acts are, but for "telephone scatalogia" caught my interest and I had to look it up in case it involved both phones and scat [poo], but it does't.  It's just making obscene phone calls.

And that's why this stuff shouldn't be included. Should beating someone up for making obscene phone calls to you be punished more strictly than just beating someone up?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 03:37:16 AM »

We're looking at the list!

I have mixed views on it, as I think using graffiti to spray "Nazi white power Jews die" on a synagogue is an act of intimidation that should be punished and discouraged with something more powerful than putting your initials up underneath a highway.  And then there is such a confluence of different laws and some difficulty in proving the exact motivation for a crime.  If state laws already exist to make intimidation [or whatever] a crime, then the hate crime here would seem redundant.

Also, why aren't transgendered people covered?  LBGT is an  accepted acronym for sexual orientation, isn't it?

I think you miss the point of federal criminal law. Pretty much 90% of all federal crimes are redundant, but they are there because federal courts have harsher rules so when they can't get a jury to convict in state court they can ram people through federal court again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies