BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23276 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2009, 11:45:39 PM »

Updated Intrade numbers (again, low volume):

Sotomayor 40.0
Kagan 20.0
Wardlaw 20.0
Granholm 12.0
Sears 12.0
Wood 10.0

(All of the above are women btw.)

I'd put my money on Wood (pause) because of the University of Chicago connection.

Biggest strike against Wood is that she's old....58.  OK, not *that* much older than the others......but still, if Obama is trying for a long lasting impact on the court, he might be tempted to go with someone a few years younger.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »

Kagan passes Sotomayor on Intrade:

Kagan 30.0
Sotomayor 25.0
Wardlaw 20.0
Wood 11.0
Granholm 9.9

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »

For some reason I've always liked John Yoo
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

I'm still liking Sotomayor's chances, Jeffrey Rosen article or no. The considerations here aren't only political; in his legal academy days, Obama wasn't seen as a huge fan of advancing liberal causes through the courts.

Also, if Obama has a liberal Scalia up his sleeve, it might make sense to save it for the Ginsburg slot, when the base will be most concerned about not replacing RBG with a centrist, and the Reps won't be able to complain that the court is taking a big leftward shift.

(All subject to the provisos that (a) none of us really has a clue, and (b) that as Sam Spade said earlier, applying these political labels to judges oversimplifies things considerably.)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 12:13:42 AM »

Kagan 30.0
Sotomayor 25.0
Wardlaw 20.0
Wood 11.0
Granholm 9.9

Unless Obama and Rahm have all the buys in Intrade, how much of a predictor is this really?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:40 AM »

Kagan 30.0
Sotomayor 25.0
Wardlaw 20.0
Wood 11.0
Granholm 9.9

Unless Obama and Rahm have all the buys in Intrade, how much of a predictor is this really?

People are predicting based on what they know of Obama's psychology and the political imperatives he's faced with, as well as their knowledge of the candidates.  It's probably only worth very little....but no less than the betting on the veepstakes last year....or on any appointment for anything.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:05 AM »

since those betting loved people like Hillary when she wasn't even vetted by the Obama campaign, they might be just an aggregate representation of sensationalism Wink
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:02 AM »

I'm starting to think its Kagan and not Sotomayor.  Kagan is younger and more liberal.  This is Obama's best chance he'll ever get to put a real liberal lion on the bench.  The rationale for Sotomayor was always that she was confirmable (Latino, woman, and wasnominated for the District Court by Bush I).  Why would Obama care about confirmable at this point?  There's no danger, absent a scandal, of the nominee losing.  Why not just put up the youngest most liberal person of stature you can find?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »

I'm starting to think its Kagan and not Sotomayor.  Kagan is younger and more liberal.

Her #1 strategic qualification is that the Senate has already approved her
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:23 AM »

Wouldn't it be kind of odd to give the job to someone he just gave a different job to a couple months ago?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »

Wouldn't it be kind of odd to give the job to someone he just gave a different job to a couple months ago?

Not really.  Frank Murphy and Robert Jackson both served very little time as Attorney General before FDR appointed them, in 1940 and 1941.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »

I'm starting to think its Kagan and not Sotomayor.  Kagan is younger and more liberal.  This is Obama's best chance he'll ever get to put a real liberal lion on the bench.  The rationale for Sotomayor was always that she was confirmable (Latino, woman, and wasnominated for the District Court by Bush I).  Why would Obama care about confirmable at this point?  There's no danger, absent a scandal, of the nominee losing.  Why not just put up the youngest most liberal person of stature you can find?

I agree with your reasoning, although I think the CW is that, in all likelihood, either Stevens or Ginsburg will retire next year.....with the other one then retiring maybe a year or two later.  So Obama is almost certainly going to get another Supreme Court appointment soon-ish.  Thus, he could give Kagan another year or two of experience and appoint her then, while appointing Sotomayor or someone else this time.  I guess it depends on who else would be in the mix for a second Supreme Court slot.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2009, 02:34:16 AM »

Sotomayor retakes the lead on Intrade:

Sotomayor 35.0
Kagan 25.0
Wardlaw 24.0
Wood 15.0
Sears 11.2
Granholm 8.0

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2009, 03:06:43 AM »

Sotomayor 35.0
Kagan 25.0
Wardlaw 24.0
Wood 15.0
Sears 11.2
Granholm 8.0

Apparently the trashing of Rosen and his hit-piece worked well.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »

Sotomayor 35.0
Kagan 25.0
Wardlaw 24.0
Wood 15.0
Sears 11.2
Granholm 8.0

Apparently the trashing of Rosen and his hit-piece worked well.

Interesting, especially because she happens to have the most incriminating of clips readily available for branding as an "activist" judge.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/05/11/1928014.aspx

The SCOTUS shortlist?

According to a couple of sources in the know, there appears to be a working short list of about six names for President Obama’s Supreme Court pick. The co-frontrunners (in no particular order): Diane Wood of the 7th Circuit, Solicitor General Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor of the 2nd Circuit, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Merrick Garland of the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. Obviously, folks can slice this list all they want: Five are women; one’s Hispanic; one’s male; and all are in their late 40s or early 50s, except two (Wood, 58, and Garland, 56).

Keep an eye on Napolitano. For this pick, it would be surprising if Obama named someone he didn't either know well or trust personally. Wood, Kagan, and Napolitano all fit this bill (Wood taught at the University of Chicago with Obama, and Kagan and Napolitano already have top slots in the administration). As for Napolitano, remember that she endorsed Obama early on (despite Emily’s List pressure to do otherwise). And from people familiar with the president's thinking, he's been as impressed with Napolitano as anyone in his cabinet. They click. That matters....
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »

I saw that, I don't buy it.  The White House is keeping the cards close to its chess at the moment.

If anything, these things *could* be leaked from a low level official to let the conservative oppo be focused on them [not that some of these aren't also on the official list too].

Napolitano's advantage is that she also has already been cleared by the Senate.  I don't know if Obama wouldn't rather have someone with a distinguished Constitutional opinion, hmm.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »

What I find curious is that while everyone is talking about Sotomayor, nobody seems to mention the other Hispanic woman in the mix, Kim Wardlaw.

Is she considered less qualified, more divisive or what?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »

Why would Napolitano be on the list. The Senate would have a fiesta with ripping her apart, most notably for that report the Republicans managed to misconstrue as calling veterans possible terrorists.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2009, 12:16:05 PM »

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/05/11/1928014.aspx

The SCOTUS shortlist?

According to a couple of sources in the know, there appears to be a working short list of about six names for President Obama’s Supreme Court pick. The co-frontrunners (in no particular order): Diane Wood of the 7th Circuit, Solicitor General Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor of the 2nd Circuit, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Merrick Garland of the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. Obviously, folks can slice this list all they want: Five are women; one’s Hispanic; one’s male; and all are in their late 40s or early 50s, except two (Wood, 58, and Garland, 56).

Keep an eye on Napolitano. For this pick, it would be surprising if Obama named someone he didn't either know well or trust personally. Wood, Kagan, and Napolitano all fit this bill (Wood taught at the University of Chicago with Obama, and Kagan and Napolitano already have top slots in the administration). As for Napolitano, remember that she endorsed Obama early on (despite Emily’s List pressure to do otherwise). And from people familiar with the president's thinking, he's been as impressed with Napolitano as anyone in his cabinet. They click. That matters....

http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009/05/scotus_handicapping_a_short_list.php

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »

Merrick Garland would be excellent.  He's a former Brennan clerk, so he probably learned quite a bit from his boss.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »

Why would Napolitano be on the list. The Senate would have a fiesta with ripping her apart, most notably for that report the Republicans managed to misconstrue as calling veterans possible terrorists.

Even more, the fact that she gets along well with Obama is a big reason NOT to appoint her at the Supreme Court.
Why take away from the cabinet such a competent person, which also happens to be a good friend of you? 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

Merrick Garland would be excellent.  He's a former Brennan clerk, so he probably learned quite a bit from his boss.

No need to spend too much time thinking on the token white male.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »

No need to spend too much time thinking on the token white male.

Shame, he and Kagan are my two favorites.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »

I don't buy MSNBC's spin about Napolitano either.

What I find curious is that while everyone is talking about Sotomayor, nobody seems to mention the other Hispanic woman in the mix, Kim Wardlaw.

Is she considered less qualified, more divisive or what?

Kim Wardlaw received her undergraduate and law degrees from UCLA.  Sotomayor attended Princeton and Yale Law School.  UCLA is a top-tier law school, but its not as overtly elite as Sotomayor's credentials.

Her last name, Wardlaw, means that the general public may not realize that she is Hispanic.  I wonder if that is a factor.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies