BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23302 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »

Phil, come on you really think Thomas was qualified?  The only reason he was picked was because Bush had to pick an AA to replace Marshall and an ultra-conservative because you guys were pissed his first pick was a moderate like Souter and the only black guy he could find who fit that description was Thomas.

I didn't see one reason why he wasn't qualified in that post.

The racial/ethic angle would be reprehensible IF Sotomayor was unqualified. Since that obviously isn't the case here, it's an added political bonus for Obama and the Democrats. And they should be sued for political malpractice if they don't take advantage of the situation.

So we're supposed to be guilted into supporting her based on race anyway? Sorry but some of us don't like that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And we come back to the handwringing as the issue. Why is this self inflicted? Because we're not bowing at her feet because she's a minority?

Haha, wow. Still no reasons why Thomas was unqualified. And this has to be the first time I ever heard that Thomas was not up for the job. I know the left despises him but he's always been hailed as an intelligent jurist.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »

I mentioned a reason why Thomas is considered unqualified. You can ignore it but don't tell me I havn't given any.

And the Republican's predicament is self-inflicted because they let the Tancredo wing of the party define their image regarding imigration.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »

I mentioned a reason why Thomas is considered unqualified. You can ignore it but don't tell me I havn't given any.

I'm sorry but saying that the Bar said he was unqualified isn't going to cut it. Can you give their reasons, please?

Roll Eyes

I'm certainly not in the Tancredo wing but I guess supporting the rule of law instead of caving to whatever is politically popular with the new swing bloc of voters is just insane.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »

The ABA never said that Thomas was unqualified - the official vote was split.  Democrats' main reason for opposing Thomas is the fact that he is a black Republican and not because he is a conservative.  Democrats cannot stand the idea of a black Republican, as evidenced by their vicious attacks on Ken Blackwell, Michael Steele, and (likely to come) the GOP candidate in Colorado and J.C. Watts should he choose to run again.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »

Actually, weren't the Democrats put in a political bind over the Thomas confirmation, even if they didn't all run over and support him?  I thought they felt pressure to confirm the first African-American justice.

Thurgood Marshall would like a word with you.

I'm going to quit using the word "first" since I always get in trouble.

And he's dead so I don't care.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »

I'm sorry but saying that the Bar said he was unqualified isn't going to cut it. Can you give their reasons, please?

They don't make public neither the way their members vote, not the reasons for doing so.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »

They don't make public neither the way their members vote, not the reasons for doing so.

Ok so forgive me for not jumping at that wonderful bit of "evidence" as to why he's not qualified.

Also, Vander claims the vote was split. Whose telling the truth?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2009, 04:47:06 PM »

Judge for yourself.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/28/us/bar-association-splits-on-fitness-of-thomas-for-the-supreme-court.html

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:56 PM »

Again, they didn't rule that he is unqualified.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »

I'm still trying to dig up Jmfcst's thread about how Bush should choose Alberto Gonzales for the Court because it would be political suicide for Dems to oppose the first Hispanic nominee. I think it might have been on the old Forum (it was at a time when there wasn't a vacancy). In any event, will be interesting to see if he feels likewise with Sotomayor and the GOP.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

I wish.

I assume when they mean "could" they are referring to the future possibility of one of the conservative justices dying (I doubt any of the 5 will retire under an Obama presidency). Were there any cases in which Souter was actually the swing vote and to the right of Kennedy? Would be interesting to dig up some.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »

Is there a bigger hack than px75?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2009, 05:51:01 PM »

Speaking of the devil...

Glenn Beck shows his class once again via his Twitter account:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/05/glenn-beck-can-messiah-obama-heal-sotomayors-diabetes.php

''Does the nominee still have Diabetes? Could the Messiah heal her, or does she just not want to ask? What is protocal (sic) on miracle healings?''
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »

Speaking of the devil...

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/05/glenn-beck-can-messiah-obama-heal-sotomayors-diabetes.php

''Does the nominee still have Diabetes? Could the Messiah heal her, or does she just not want to ask? What is protocal (sic) on miracle healings?''

Beck is such a prick.  But his inability to spell is amusing
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »

Speaking of the devil...

Beck is such a prick.  But his inability to spell is amusing

I'm starting to think that Coburn in 2012 and Blubb are imitating him in the spelling aspect, as a form of flattery.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »

I'm still trying to dig up Jmfcst's thread about how Bush should choose Alberto Gonzales for the Court because it would be political suicide for Dems to oppose the first Hispanic nominee. I think it might have been on the old Forum (it was at a time when there wasn't a vacancy). In any event, will be interesting to see if he feels likewise with Sotomayor and the GOP.

I think that would have been Estrada
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2009, 06:43:27 PM »

I think that would have been Estrada

Ah yes, ok, that's right. Thanks. My memory is failing me in my old age. Though I guess the fact that I still remember random threads from about 7 years ago ain't too shabby to begin with. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »

Speaking of Sotomayor's diabetes...

Can anyone tell me why anyone ought to care about this? I saw on the CNN ticker that diabetes groups are praising her appointment. Uh...what exactly are they saying? "We are glad a Supreme Court Justice will finally have to use an insulin pump. That is all."
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »

Can anyone tell me why anyone ought to care about this? I saw on the CNN ticker that diabetes groups are praising her appointment. Uh...what exactly are they saying? "We are glad a Supreme Court Justice will finally have to use an insulin pump. That is all."

Or that this appointment is a sign that diabetes is no longer an obstacle to success...

Of all the things to moan about...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »

Boogie Down represent!

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »

Or that this appointment is a sign that diabetes is no longer an obstacle to success...

Ah, when was it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'm not moaning about it and I don't know of anyone that ever said or implied that diabetes is an obstacle to success.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'm not moaning about it and I don't know of anyone that ever said or implied that diabetes is an obstacle to success.

It was an obstacle because it prevented her from becoming a policeman or PI, as mentioned in Obama's speech today.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »

Roll Eyes

It was an obstacle because it prevented her from becoming a policeman or PI, as mentioned in Obama's speech today.

Will diabetics suddenly be able to become police officers or PI's? Was there ever an obstacle for those with diabetes in the judiciary?

Come on, guys. If Obama nominated someone who is flat footed, we would be able to say he or she overcame a great obstacle because flat footed people can't serve in the military. It's completely irrelevant.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2009, 09:30:31 PM »

I am not thrilled by this appointment but I am pleased that there will finally be a second Latino on the Supreme Court(haha no one has heard of Benjamin Cardozo?). I am mostly happy with her desicions on the Court of Appeals too.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies