BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:14:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23882 times)
Linus Van Pelt

« on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

I'm still liking Sotomayor's chances, Jeffrey Rosen article or no. The considerations here aren't only political; in his legal academy days, Obama wasn't seen as a huge fan of advancing liberal causes through the courts.

Also, if Obama has a liberal Scalia up his sleeve, it might make sense to save it for the Ginsburg slot, when the base will be most concerned about not replacing RBG with a centrist, and the Reps won't be able to complain that the court is taking a big leftward shift.

(All subject to the provisos that (a) none of us really has a clue, and (b) that as Sam Spade said earlier, applying these political labels to judges oversimplifies things considerably.)
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

I am pleased that there will finally be a second Latino on the Supreme Court(haha no one has heard of Benjamin Cardozo?).

Cardozo was a Sephardi Jew of Portuguese descent, i.e. not a Latino.

Even the Portuguese connection is very tenuous: the family left the Iberian peninsula for the Netherlands during the Inquisition, then went to England, and then came to America before the Revolution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies