Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 04:48:57 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History
| | |-+  Alternative History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  What if Roe vs. Wade was Overturned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What if Roe vs. Wade was Overturned?  (Read 2774 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:05:43 pm »
Ignore

Let's suppose that newly appointed justice David Souter had voted the way he was expected to in Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, and the 1973 decision legalizing abortion across the United States had been overturned in a 5-4 decision, effectively returning the issue to the states to decide as they saw fit.

How much impact would such a decision have had? 

??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:08:02 am »
Ignore

It would be legal in some states and illegal in other states. Just like it was before Roe V Wade.
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:18 am »
Ignore

It would be legal in some states and illegal in other states. Just like it was before Roe V Wade.

Pretty much. Electoral dynamics would be a bit different too. The Republican Party would probably rift between those who want to keep it at the state level and those who want to outlaw it nationally.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:01:19 am »
Ignore

Pretty much. Electoral dynamics would be a bit different too. The Republican Party would probably rift between those who want to keep it at the state level and those who want to outlaw it nationally.

BTW, that's my stance on abortion to begin with.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:29:31 pm »
Ignore

Exactly.  Maybe the Religious Right would be a tad weaker, but no major differences.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:25:29 pm »
Ignore

Rising number of illegal and unsafe backdoor abortions, resulting of course in death or permanent health falling for many women

Scary possibility

President Mitt
Giovanni
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »
Ignore

Rising number of illegal and unsafe backdoor abortions, resulting of course in death or permanent health falling for many women

Scary possibility

I don't think so. Abortion would not outright be banned if Roe V. Wade was overturned (which I oppose) it would still be legal in many (if not most) states, so if the poor pregnant teenager from Alabama needs to get an Abortion, she can simply drive to Florida (mabye?) and get one.

[This space is available for purchase]
OC
olawakandi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:58:46 am »
Ignore

I think just like generic drugs, people all over would be going to Canada rather than staying in the US for abortions.  And I think adoptions would be more of factor like it was during the 70's and 80's.  Not only that, abortions are not needed as much as they were in the 90's, noadays they have the morning after pill, which women take now at 18 than if they had no other options.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:31:55 am »
Ignore

Massive crime wave.

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 11:26:30 am »
Ignore

It would probably just make the issue worse. In some states in the Northeast and West Coast, the world probably re-adopt Roe. In the southern. mormon and agrianiam states, abortion would be a crime and probably handled like substance abuse is today. In the interior west and great lakes, I could see laws a lot like the laws in Britian or Israel today, where it becomes an administrative law issue.

Red= States that govern abortion under their penal codes (The 21 "Right to Life" States)
Blue=States that govern abortion under their administrative laws (The 14 "Wait and Talk" States)
Green= States that govern abortion under their general health care laws (The 15 "Right to Choose" States)

The prodominant effect of this would be that 40% of the population would live in states that forbid abortion access, but only 25% of the population would have no access to abortion.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:28:52 am by Chief Runs With Scissors »Logged

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
National Progressive
General Mung Beans
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »
Ignore

Several hundred thousand human beings would be alive to-day and generally the debate would now be between people who want abortion illegalized nationally, legalized nationally, and the status quo people.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout