Agree or Disagree: The Red Army Faction was preferable to the IRA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:07:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Agree or Disagree: The Red Army Faction was preferable to the IRA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Agree or Disagree: The Red Army Faction was "cooler" than the IRA
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Agree or Disagree: The Red Army Faction was preferable to the IRA  (Read 3595 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »

BRTD, you are so f'ing stupid it is not even worth arguing with you.

So people should change their religion to not be discriminated against?  I guess you would believe that.- because you have always been a self absorbed Stalinist.  The whole world can all be liberal lutherans, listening to Emo music, hate suburbs and the world would be one little utopia.

If you dared read a history book on this topic you would know that the Irish were considered a race apart by the English for many years. You would know that untold thousands were massacred for refusing to convert from their faith- you know because some people actually believe and adhere to their faith.  You would have heard of the word Soupers.

I love to chat more but I have an early morning conversion to Judaism to attend to.  You see my boss is Jewish and it might help me get ahead.   

I heard Bris(sp?) is pretty painful especially as an adult.  You won't be having sex for a while.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2009, 02:19:28 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 02:32:23 AM by Please Shut Off The Lights »

Patrick1, BRTD is anything but a Stalinist. He just has decided and somewhat idiosyncratic (at least for me) aesthetic tastes in some areas.

And yes, BRTD is a bit hard on the Catholic religion. I am not sure why, but he is. He tends to put it in the fundamentalist box, and for BRTD, that is not a "good" box to be in.  I don't worry much myself about the religion, or lack thereof, of folks. I find that it is a very crude filter to use in evaluating  folks. They just tend to be more complex than a simple metric can decode with much utility, except in rather extreme cases. JMO.

Oh, Torie he is a Stalinist.  I've seen his annoying purge tactics against his forum rivals.  He basically follows people around the site  and harasses them until they can't be bothered and leave.

I really have a tough time thinking of any person this would apply to. I mean I've gotten in plenty of bickering matches but that happens on any internet forum. Besides the person I've fought with most is still around (Phil), and I've started looking upon him more kindly lately due to his standing up to some real douchebags (ie Duke and Einzige)

As for Stalinism, I've never endorsed 5-year plans or the nationalization of all industry or anything of the sort. I did post this but it was correctly recognized by many as a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post and of course as some have pointed is simply too absurd to happen in reality. Something I won't deny either. Torie is one of the few blue avatars who has figured out how I deal, something I saw here.

You know what's funny is that ideologically the IRA were much closer to Stalinism than I am.

Anyway about the other points:

So people should change their religion to not be discriminated against?  I guess you would believe that.- because you have always been a self absorbed Stalinist.

I'm just saying I would do that in a heartbeat, but of course I can't see myself having any reason to care about the Catholic church anyway. Much of my family converted out of Catholicism (not to avoid discrimination though, but because they just didn't like it basically), so it's hard for me to not be sympathetic to such people. I think I have a grand total of three relatives remaining who care about Catholicism in any positive way. I could include an ancedote here about a few months ago when I was visiting some family on my originally Catholic side of the family and heard my 10-year old cousin making anti-Catholic statements, but I'd just be rambling. But do you really expect me to side with Catholic traditionalists over my family? Or take a choice of double repression (The Catholic church's oppressive rules plus discrimination) over a path of no repression? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

If you dared read a history book on this topic you would know that the Irish were considered a race apart by the English for many years. You would know that untold thousands were massacred for refusing to convert from their faith- you know because some people actually believe and adhere to their faith.  You would have heard of the word Soupers.

Haven't heard of that word. Looked it up. Meh, sounds like what my family would've been, so I'm a lot more sympathetic to them than those who discriminated against and harassed them. Not as bad as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ustase#Connections_with_the_Catholic_Church

I love to chat more but I have an early morning conversion to Judaism to attend to.  You see my boss is Jewish and it might help me get ahead.

And if this were true it would not bother me. Kind of reminds me of how the uncle on Weeds was training to be a rabbi just to get out of his military service.

BTW can anyone give a reason why I shouldn't whine about the Russians or Poles today? Or that good friend in college I mentioned in the Supreme Court thread. Well she's Danish (last name ends in -sen, that's Danish as opposed to Swedish or Norwegian.) And her boyfriend for awhile was Norwegian! OMG. He actually didn't care about this or call her an evil imperialist oppressor despite her ancestral country dominating his for three centuries...probably because it was 150 years and no sane would care about that today. You know how most laugh at Southernors who can't get over the Civil War?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 08:34:15 PM »

Patrick1, BRTD is anything but a Stalinist. He just has decided and somewhat idiosyncratic (at least for me) aesthetic tastes in some areas.

And yes, BRTD is a bit hard on the Catholic religion. I am not sure why, but he is. He tends to put it in the fundamentalist box, and for BRTD, that is not a "good" box to be in.  I don't worry much myself about the religion, or lack thereof, of folks. I find that it is a very crude filter to use in evaluating  folks. They just tend to be more complex than a simple metric can decode with much utility, except in rather extreme cases. JMO.

Oh, Torie he is a Stalinist.  I've seen his annoying purge tactics against his forum rivals.  He basically follows people around the site  and harasses them until they can't be bothered and leave.

I really have a tough time thinking of any person this would apply to. I mean I've gotten in plenty of bickering matches but that happens on any internet forum. Besides the person I've fought with most is still around (Phil), and I've started looking upon him more kindly lately due to his standing up to some real douchebags (ie Duke and Einzige)

As for Stalinism, I've never endorsed 5-year plans or the nationalization of all industry or anything of the sort. I did post this but it was correctly recognized by many as a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post and of course as some have pointed is simply too absurd to happen in reality. Something I won't deny either. Torie is one of the few blue avatars who has figured out how I deal, something I saw here.

You know what's funny is that ideologically the IRA were much closer to Stalinism than I am.

Anyway about the other points:

So people should change their religion to not be discriminated against?  I guess you would believe that.- because you have always been a self absorbed Stalinist.

I'm just saying I would do that in a heartbeat, but of course I can't see myself having any reason to care about the Catholic church anyway. Much of my family converted out of Catholicism (not to avoid discrimination though, but because they just didn't like it basically), so it's hard for me to not be sympathetic to such people. I think I have a grand total of three relatives remaining who care about Catholicism in any positive way. I could include an ancedote here about a few months ago when I was visiting some family on my originally Catholic side of the family and heard my 10-year old cousin making anti-Catholic statements, but I'd just be rambling. But do you really expect me to side with Catholic traditionalists over my family? Or take a choice of double repression (The Catholic church's oppressive rules plus discrimination) over a path of no repression? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

If you dared read a history book on this topic you would know that the Irish were considered a race apart by the English for many years. You would know that untold thousands were massacred for refusing to convert from their faith- you know because some people actually believe and adhere to their faith.  You would have heard of the word Soupers.

Haven't heard of that word. Looked it up. Meh, sounds like what my family would've been, so I'm a lot more sympathetic to them than those who discriminated against and harassed them. Not as bad as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ustase#Connections_with_the_Catholic_Church

I love to chat more but I have an early morning conversion to Judaism to attend to.  You see my boss is Jewish and it might help me get ahead.

And if this were true it would not bother me. Kind of reminds me of how the uncle on Weeds was training to be a rabbi just to get out of his military service.

BTW can anyone give a reason why I shouldn't whine about the Russians or Poles today? Or that good friend in college I mentioned in the Supreme Court thread. Well she's Danish (last name ends in -sen, that's Danish as opposed to Swedish or Norwegian.) And her boyfriend for awhile was Norwegian! OMG. He actually didn't care about this or call her an evil imperialist oppressor despite her ancestral country dominating his for three centuries...probably because it was 150 years and no sane would care about that today. You know how most laugh at Southernors who can't get over the Civil War?

One thing with Croatia and Nazi collaboration was this-  I've had ethnic Croat friends tell me that the Serbs under the Kingdon of Yugoslavia were pretty brutal towards them so it was a natural thing to seek help with the Nazis.  It seems there were times during the Second World War, that it was natural for some Catholic nations to side with the Nazi regime for their own interests in particular Ireland (some IRA members), Croatia, Slovakia, and Lithuania (to an extent).  The Nazis were also brutal towards Catholic nations such as France, Poland and the Czechs.  I'll never excuse what the Nazis did (even being mostly Irish and part German myself), but for some peoples, collaboration was clearly their best option. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »

The Croats pretty much started the ethnic cleansing at that time, and they were far worse too. Way worse. Like as bad as the Nazis except on a smaller scale.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »

BRTD, I called you a Stalinist not for your beliefs but for your constant harassment and following people around the board bringing up quotes and posts from several years ago.  You make so that it is not even enjoyable to visit the forum.  Ive seen this many times.  Also your self absorption plays a role in me calling you a Stalinist. You have your own little cult of personality in your own mind.

The topic you brought forth was that people should just convert and not be discriminated against.  You defend this by bringing your own personal views and family background into it. As if all of life and experience on this planet is viewed through the prism of your own experience.

There are more things in heaven and earth, BRTD...

You then dodge or choose to overlook the question of discrimination and violence by bringing up events hundreds of years and thousands of miles removed to attempt to form a moral equivalency. As if they both cannot be wrong and are mutually exclusive.

Your last paragraph is just rambling.   The discrimination and violence by the government and police services in Northern Ireland was recent. My ancestors were from the north, I have friends and family who live there.  I have had the pleasure of being there and meeting fine people of both religious persuasions and secularists. I care what happens there.  The conflict was shaped by history and understanding that history leads to peace.  This is not whining. 
I doubt you would tell an African American to stop whining about slavery. It was an awful thing that happened that shaped this nations history.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »

The Croats pretty much started the ethnic cleansing at that time, and they were far worse too. Way worse. Like as bad as the Nazis except on a smaller scale.

I had one friend say Croatia was better under Austria-Hungary than a Serb dominated Yugoslavia.  The Serbs took many punitive actions against the Slovenes and Croats and are far from Sainthood here.  All I'm saying is that the best choice for some was Nazi collaboration because of the prior duress they were under.  Again, not saying the Nazis were right.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »

BRTD, I called you a Stalinist not for your beliefs but for your constant harassment and following people around the board bringing up quotes and posts from several years ago.  You make so that it is not even enjoyable to visit the forum.  Ive seen this many times.  Also your self absorption plays a role in me calling you a Stalinist. You have your own little cult of personality in your own mind.

The topic you brought forth was that people should just convert and not be discriminated against.  You defend this by bringing your own personal views and family background into it. As if all of life and experience on this planet is viewed through the prism of your own experience.

You then dodge or choose to overlook the question of discrimination and violence by bringing up events hundreds of years and thousands of miles removed to attempt to form a moral equivalency. As if they both cannot be wrong and are mutually exclusive.

Your last paragraph is just rambling.   The discrimination and violence by the government and police services in Northern Ireland was recent. My ancestors were from the north, I have friends and family who live there.  I have had the pleasure of being there and meeting fine people of both religious persuasions and secularists. I care what happens there.  The conflict was shaped by history and understanding that history leads to peace.  This is not whining. 
I doubt you would tell an African American to stop whining about slavery. It was an awful thing that happened that shaped this nations history.

I think he likes picking on Catholic nations for whatever reason.  His new target- Croatia.  He can't see both sides of the story.  One thing I'm surprised is I seem to be the only Democrat rebutting him on here. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2009, 12:56:06 AM »

Your last paragraph is just rambling.   The discrimination and violence by the government and police services in Northern Ireland was recent. My ancestors were from the north, I have friends and family who live there.  I have had the pleasure of being there and meeting fine people of both religious persuasions and secularists. I care what happens there.  The conflict was shaped by history and understanding that history leads to peace.  This is not whining. 

One's personal experiences is what'll shape their outlook and sympathies. You basically admit that in the last paragraph. I just find it hard to have much sympathy for radical Catholics who wouldn't accept my family.

Also who am I bringing quotes from years ago with? The occaisonal barb at Phil over Santorum that he gets 10x as much from other posters? The mockery of J. J. that just about every other poster on the forum does that I've still mostly ceased about 1-2 months ago?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2009, 01:21:49 AM »

I think we need to cool out here for a while.  BRTD, tone down the provocation or you'll have more than the occasional lock when things get out of hand.

PM me if you have any questions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies