Adolf Hitler vs Joseph Stalin vs Mao Zedong vs Pol Pot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Adolf Hitler vs Joseph Stalin vs Mao Zedong vs Pol Pot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Adolf Hitler vs Joseph Stalin vs Mao Zedong vs Pol Pot
Adolf Hitler

Joseph Stalin

Mao Zedong

Pol Pot

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Adolf Hitler vs Joseph Stalin vs Mao Zedong vs Pol Pot  (Read 25526 times)
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »

I went with Stalin.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

tough between Stalin and Mao; probably Mao, as he was far more of a thinker and had fewer fatal personality flaws, though he was less competent.   @ Daniel Z: Pol Pot was probably 'worse' than Hitler
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao
Pol Pot makes Hitler look like a nice guy.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao
Pol Pot makes Hitler look like a nice guy.
Respectably disagree
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »

Pol Pot has a curious distinction on that list.  For better or worse (hint: worse), the other three leaders on that list strengthened and united their countries, all three of which were in chaotic states of distress before their leaders arrived, and made them a force to be reckoned with on the international stage.  Pol Pot, on the other hand, destroyed his own country to the point where even VIETNAM said "enough is enough."  Pol Pot stands with Enver Hoxha and a few others as leaders who (intentionally?) sabotaged their own countries and ran them into the ground.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

Pol Pot has a curious distinction on that list.  For better or worse (hint: worse), the other three leaders on that list strengthened and united their countries, all three of which were in chaotic states of distress before their leaders arrived, and made them a force to be reckoned with on the international stage.  Pol Pot, on the other hand, destroyed his own country to the point where even VIETNAM said "enough is enough."  Pol Pot stands with Enver Hoxha and a few others as leaders who (intentionally?) sabotaged their own countries and ran them into the ground.

Vietnam dislike Pol Pot because he was allied with the Chinese, which in turn was partially due to border disputes between Vietnam and Cambodia. Also, Pol Pot's rise to power was facilitated by the destruction of Cambodian society as part of the broader war in Southeast Asia, and in this sense he is similar to the other three, all of whom rose to power as the result of a war (although in Hitler's case, it was separated by 15 years, the cause and effect is quite clear).

Otherwise, agreed.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:04:18 PM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao

Are you going on who killed the least to determine the worst? Learn some history.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »

Vietnam dislike Pol Pot because he was allied with the Chinese, which in turn was partially due to border disputes between Vietnam and Cambodia. Also, Pol Pot's rise to power was facilitated by the destruction of Cambodian society as part of the broader war in Southeast Asia, and in this sense he is similar to the other three, all of whom rose to power as the result of a war (although in Hitler's case, it was separated by 15 years, the cause and effect is quite clear).

Otherwise, agreed.

True on both counts, and our bombing the hell out of Cambodia didn't help matters.  All I'm saying is that Hitler and Stalin (Hitler in the short run, Stalin in a much longer run) were effective leaders for their countries and strengthened their respective states' positions in the world.  Mao did too, to some extent, but any strengthening to China was hindered because China was a basket case and because he was a moron.  (Yes, I can back that up, but I'm tired at the moment)  Pol Pot actively tried to destroy his own country.  In that sense, he really isn't comparable to any of the above.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »

I am really disappointed no one put King of the Bench on this list.  It's incomplete.

(Sorry, but given the enthusiasm for the guy elsewhere...I couldn't resist.)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »

I vote option 5 (head to Canada).
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2009, 11:49:30 PM by Daniel Z »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao

Are you going on who killed the least to determine the worst? Learn some history.
Calm down I know what Pot did. Some of this is just a matter of opinion. I voted for Hitler based off the genocide, and his role in starting the worst war in human history (which I count for something). You can certainly argue that Pot did much more harm to his country than Hitler did, but I don't think you can reasonably argue that Pot's impact on the world was anywhere near as negative as Hitler's. Oh and as for body count, I think you will find Mao had a higher body count than Pol Pot.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:08:28 AM »

Are we voting "worst" or who we'd vote for given the choice?  Worst?  Pot.  Least worst?  eeegads, Mao or Hitler I guess.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao

Calm down I know what Pot did. Some of this is just a matter of opinion. I voted for Hitler based off the genocide, and his role in starting the worst war in human history (which I count for something). You can certainly argue that Pot did much more harm to his country than Hitler did, but I don't think you can reasonably argue that Pot's impact on the world was anywhere near as negative as Hitler's. Oh and as for body count, I think you will find Mao had a higher body count than Pol Pot.

That's his point. There is a correlation in your ranking where dictators who killed more people were ranked as being better.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2009, 12:21:43 AM by Earth »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao

That's his point. There is a correlation in your ranking where dictators who killed more people were ranked as being better.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you, PiT. I'm looking at it from a purely ethical and pragmatic standpoint, not worldwide cultural impact, as important as that is. To me, Hitler was nowhere near as terrible as Stalin, Pol Pot, nor Mao; given their extremely large body count and grievous effect on their citizenry. It outweighs any Nazi atrocity, as sad as that is to say.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao

Yes but I ranked Pot as worse than Mao.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:05 AM »

Worse to "Best"
Hitler
Stalin
Pot
Mao

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you, PiT. I'm looking at it from a purely ethical and pragmatic standpoint, not worldwide cultural impact, as important as that is. To me, Hitler was nowhere near as terrible as Stalin, Pol Pot, nor Mao; given their extremely large body count and grievous effect on their citizenry.
Ok so we just used different criteria. Fair enough.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »

I vote option 5 (head to Canada).

Only sane option.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »

Worst to best

Stalin/Hitler
Pot
Mao

It's hard to put them in any kind of order.  Stalin and Hitler led directly to the most deaths while Mao indirectly caused mass starvation.  Pol Pot's regime, though on a smaller scale, is unbelievable in its scope within Cambodia.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »

Adolf Hitler
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »

I agree. To commit war crimes and genocide against internal enemies or other nations can be explained by a desire to promote the welfare of your own people. Indefensible, inhuman and sick behavior but understadable if you adopt their ultranationalistic point of view.

But to commit these atrocities against your own people, that's the most deranged and absolutely evil thing imaginable.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »

Best to Worst:
Mao
Stalin
Pol Pot
Hitler
Rob