Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) still undecided about 2010.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:47:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) still undecided about 2010.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) still undecided about 2010.  (Read 11331 times)
SamInTheSouth

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »

Coburn is one of the strongest fiscal conservatives in the Senate and for that reason I would support him for reelection.  He is kind of nuts when it comes to the social issues, though, the lesbianism remark for example.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 12:15:43 AM »

Coburn is one of the strongest fiscal conservatives in the Senate and for that reason I would support him for reelection.  He is kind of nuts when it comes to the social issues, though, the lesbianism remark for example.

What lesbianism remark?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 12:20:32 AM »

couple posts above

Coburn is very principled and stands up for what he believes in regardless of party politics, you can give him that while pointing out he's a bit of a crazytown type.... "Lesbianism is so rampant in some of the schools in Southeast Oklahoma that they'll only let one girl go to the bathroom. Now think about it."

Replacing him with the chance of Brad Henry would make me very happy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »

Sen. Coburn has said he will announce his decision on re-election in 2010 this Monday, June 1, 2009.

I honestly have no idea what he'll do given his character and his past.  He probably does not like being in a powerless minority, but he also has in the back of his mind that he is one of the few remaining conservative voices on the Republican side of the aisle.  I am under the impression he will run for one more term, but call it a Senate career in 2016.  I will throw in a disclaimer that he is also just as likely to retire after just one term, a pretty successful term in the eyes of many Oklahomans.  As we've already agreed, if he runs again, he's a shoo-in.  If he doesn't run, then Gov. Brad Henry has a better chance, but still the seat will remain lean to likely GOP.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »

Hopefully he and Henry will switch jobs.  Any chance Henry could win a head to head matchup with Coburn?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »

Hopefully he and Henry will switch jobs.  Any chance Henry could win a head to head matchup with Coburn?

Yes but Coburn would have the upper hand.

This isn't Delaware and so pulling off a switch between two people of different parties is unlikely. Why do people forget that there is already a Republican running for Governor who is unlikely to face a contested primary and Coburn would not run for Governor against another strong Republican like Mary Fallin even though he would likely win? If Coburn leaves the Senate he will likely leave politics or at least elective office.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 12:02:23 AM »

PPP did an Oklahoma 2010 poll last week and concluded that the Democrats' chances there are very slim, and almost nonexistent with Coburn in the mix.  They had him at 59% approval (with 39% of Democrats and 61% of independents approving) and leading Henry 52/40.  Henry would at least make it an interesting race though.  Anyone else would make it a snoozefest.

And I was linked to this site that says they got a tip that he'll announce a reelection bid on Monday, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

http://newledger.com/2009/05/senator-tom-coburn-will-run-for-re-election/
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »

Yeah, he's running.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »

Yes we are saved from Tom Cole!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »

I wouldn't be suprised if Tom Coburn runs virtually unopposed.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »

A Henry/Coburn switch would be fine with me.  Would Henry just be a Ben Nelson type Senator?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Henry

"Governor Henry has taken a fairly moderate political stance as governor. He believes that abortion is not an issue that requires government interference and has a mixed view of affirmative action, supporting it in colleges but not in hiring for the bureaucracy. Henry supports expanding public healthcare and holding HMOs accountable for poor care; however, he also is in favor of upholding the death penalty and is against gun control. The governor supports tax cuts for the lower and middle classes and believes in keeping the income tax; he also supports using the "War on Drugs" strategy to combat methanphetamine use within his state"

Hm...I see nothing in there that would prevent me from supporting him, though I do question what the abortion answer means.  My death penalty position is that it should be legal but not used...he seems like a hanging judge, but that's again not a huge concern with me.

Before anyone leaps on the "War on Drugs" line, I'm pretty damn strongly opposed to the meth epidemic.  It's definitely a case where a zero tolerance approach appeals to me.

I don't know how anybody could be against a zero tolerance approach to meth, considering how nasty the drug is.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »

This is kind of weird, but I'm having second thoughts about voting for Tom Coburn's opponent.  For one, it would be a waste of a vote, but more than that, even as a Democrat, I want to do everything in my power to keep my own party under the 60 seat mark.  I do not want us to have a monopoly on Congress with hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk, too.

Even though I will remain a Democrat, and will probably vote for the Democratic Party everywhere else on the ballot, if I am still living in Oklahoma in another 17 months, I may have to vote for the incumbent even though I disagree with him on a whole range of issues.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »

even as a Democrat, I want to do everything in my power to keep my own party under the 60 seat mark.

Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »

even as a Democrat, I want to do everything in my power to keep my own party under the 60 seat mark.

Yeah I'd have to wonder why you'd be a member of a party if you want their agenda to be blocked at every turn.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »

This is kind of weird, but I'm having second thoughts about voting for Tom Coburn's opponent.  For one, it would be a waste of a vote, but more than that, even as a Democrat, I want to do everything in my power to keep my own party under the 60 seat mark.  I do not want us to have a monopoly on Congress with hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk, too.

Even though I will remain a Democrat, and will probably vote for the Democratic Party everywhere else on the ballot, if I am still living in Oklahoma in another 17 months, I may have to vote for the incumbent even though I disagree with him on a whole range of issues.

Moderate Hero.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »

Yeah I'd have to wonder why you'd be a member of a party if you want their agenda to be blocked at every turn.

I am a member of neither party, but I prefer to have a split Congress with the President being from one party and either the House, the Senate, or both from the other party.  It makes it more necessary to compromise and in my opinion keeps the extremes in each party from running the show and pushing through too radical an agenda.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »

I knew that was coming Tongue  The reason for my position is I don't like the entire agenda that the Democrats have.  I like to think of myself as an Independent-thinking Democrat.  I do not want the extremes in either party to have much control.  While I do not like a lot of Tom Coburn's politics, I am not much of a fan of dyed-in-the-wool liberals such as Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, Barney Frank (though he's in the House), just to name a few.

Of course, it shouldn't be suprising since I have several Republican social views.

I'm still thinking about it, though.  I haven't made up my mind just yet.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 05:23:18 AM »

I knew that was coming Tongue  The reason for my position is I don't like the entire agenda that the Democrats have.  I like to think of myself as an Independent-thinking Democrat.  I do not want the extremes in either party to have much control.  While I do not like a lot of Tom Coburn's politics, I am not much of a fan of dyed-in-the-wool liberals such as Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, Barney Frank (though he's in the House), just to name a few.

Of course, it shouldn't be suprising since I have several Republican social views.

Well good for you....You can be proud to be representative of your state.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 07:54:24 AM »

Is that really a fair description of Reid considering he's pro-life and pro-NRA? (Partisan rant on) It's relatively hard for a Democrat to earn a moderate (or even "not a hardline liberal") label. All a Republican needs to be considered "moderate" is be even nominally pro-choice. Find one that's also even marginally supportive of gun control and we'd annoint them as the second coming of Nelson Rockefeller. (Partisan rant off)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »

First off, it's cool to see a fellow Okie on here.
Second, I see where you're going here. I don't think alot of people on here truly grasp Okie politics. Our state is pretty unique when it comes to the two big parties. I would even go as far to say that if you asked the average Okie to compare us based on important issues I would be considered the "far leftist" and you would be an average Democrat.
Yeah, I'm not so hot about Coburn either. Then again I'm not hot about a vast majority of the people who hold political office in our state (I have a Civil Libertarian stance on social issues). I usually cringe and vote in the Democrat because of the friggin ballot access laws in our state, but if there was the possibility that the Democrat could possibly give the Democratic Party a filibuster proof majority? I'd probably stay home.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 06:44:15 PM »

Second, I see where you're going here. I don't think alot of people on here truly grasp Okie politics. Our state is pretty unique when it comes to the two big parties. I would even go as far to say that if you asked the average Okie to compare us based on important issues I would be considered the "far leftist" and you would be an average Democrat.
Yeah, I'm not so hot about Coburn either. Then again I'm not hot about a vast majority of the people who hold political office in our state (I have a Civil Libertarian stance on social issues). I usually cringe and vote in the Democrat because of the friggin ballot access laws in our state, but if there was the possibility that the Democrat could possibly give the Democratic Party a filibuster proof majority? I'd probably stay home.
Considering that I did vote for Andrew Rice, I guess that does make previous point moot. Crap.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »

Considering that I did vote for Andrew Rice, I guess that does make previous point moot. Crap.
I voted for Rice, too, so throw that out the window!!

BTW, it is very nice to see a fellow Okie here.  Where are you from?  I'm from the Midwest City/Choctaw/Harrah area (eastern suburb of OKC).
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »

What?  Reid and Schumer are two of the most right-leaning Democrats in the Senate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 03:56:46 AM »

South Tulsa, near the Bixby border.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies