Who are we supposed to buy mother's day gifts for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who are we supposed to buy mother's day gifts for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are we supposed to buy mother's day gifts for?  (Read 830 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »

Mom...sure.  But what if she no longer is mothering?  My mom isn't a mom anymore, she is a grandmom.  Do people in other fields keep getting rewards for their work 20 years after they retire?

Wife?  She is the mother of the kids, shouldn't the kids buy her sh**t?  What if the kids are too young to get their mom something, do the dads need to fill in that gap?  Do I need to buy her sh**t because she is the mother of my kids?  What about my divorced wife, she is the mother of one of my kids, should I send her flowers?
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:09 AM »

You're supposed to buy gifts for your wife, mom, stepmother, grandma, great-grandma....  If you're not on good terms with your ex-wife, I wouldn't give her anything.  You should at least get your current wife flowers and send your mother a card.

You give something to your wife because you appreciate the mothering she does for your children.  It's all about appreciation Smiley

Rin-chan
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »

Women expect major doting. It's pretty stupid, but save yourself a lot of trouble and buy the stupid crap at Target. Hell hath no fury.....
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »

1. Your mother is your mother no matter how long ago you left the nest. Always do SOMETHING. The least you can do is send a card and give a phone call to wish her a happy Mother's day - if you don't do at least this much, expect a guilt trip. All she really wants is to know you still love her. I just take my mom out to a nice dinner on mother's day.

2. Your wife should at least get a nice dinner, either homecooked or at a restaurant. Make her feel appreciated for going through labor to bear your children and all the other work that she put in to them. Doesn't matter what age the kids are. If you do a good job making her feel special maybe you'll get laid.

3. If you're divorced I suppose it depends on how well you get along with her. If you have an amiable relationship post-divorce, then maybe send her a card. If not, best to just leave it alone.

4. For grandmothers and god-mothers, I think a card suffices.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »

Mom...sure.  But what if she no longer is mothering?  My mom isn't a mom anymore, she is a grandmom.  Do people in other fields keep getting rewards for their work 20 years after they retire?

Yes, it's called a retirement pension. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:28:41 PM »

Minnesota has given Mother's a great gift for many years:  A weekend without their husbands.. it is fishing opener after all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »

Minnesota has given Mother's a great gift for many years:  A weekend without their husbands.. it is fishing opener after all.
Now that's funny.

For the record, I had already ordered my mom some of those minipink roses she can keep and plant in something else.  That is what I've been doing the last few years.  No flowers for the wife.  I normally take her out to eat or make a food run of her choice.  Our anniversary is in the first part of May too so I guess it's kind of like having a birthday near Christmas for her Smiley

..and no way in hell the ex is getting sh**t.  I send plenty of money her way as is.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »

Can I make a suggestion?

If you know someone who is trying to get pregnant or adopt, recognize them.  I can't tell you how painful Mother's Day was for my wife for many years -- we couldn't carry a baby to term and being a Mom was her greatest desire in life.  When the church would hand out flowers to all the Moms -- or when they would ask all the mothers to stand for a round of applause -- she felt like such a piece of crap.  I loved her just as she was -- I didn't really have the parenting passion and Father's Day wasn't hard for me at all.  But I hurt so much for her.

We were finally able to adopt and now Mother's Day is special. But even so, we have convinced our church to honor all mothers and those who desire to be mothers, so no one is left out.

Just a thought.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies