Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 11:28:54 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Presidential Election Process
| | |-+  Internet Voting - A Good Idea?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Internet Voting - A Good Idea?  (Read 6418 times)
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2004, 11:00:16 pm »
Ignore

I think it's a good idea for primary elections, but a very bad idea for general elections.
weallbleed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 11:02:51 pm »
Ignore

terrible idea.

No paper trail, recounts pretty much impossible, very vulnerable to hackers, all sorts of dirty tricks that could be played, vote fraud made easier...

just a disaster waiting to happen.

I am voting for Badnarik in November, since I think Kerry and Bush are quite possibly the two worst people in the country to be president. I would very reluctantly chose Kerry if I had to, but the state I live in is not in play.

Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 11:06:31 pm »
Ignore

My idea for primary voting would be that if someone goes to the polls and casts a ballot, it overrides any other vote.

They'd also have your address, since you're part of the party. They could send you a notice saying they've received your internet vote.

I agree that it's a terrible idea for general elections, though
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 11:07:46 pm »
Ignore

Absolutly not.  If you cannot go to a poll to support your candidate, you shouldn't be voting.

Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 11:08:13 pm »
Ignore

The only thing that would make internet voting a good idea is if a distinct, verifiable paper trail was created from the votes that could be used for a recount, which prompts the question as to why we shouldn't just go with the paper format to begin with.  Asking the manufacturers for the source code wouldn't work because they could just provide an innocent version and then change it.

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 11:12:51 pm »
Ignore

Off topic, but I'm for electronic voting in general elections with a verifiable paper receipt.

The computer would be much more accurate, and the paper record would just be to prevent any fraud.
cwelsch
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 11:29:03 pm »
Ignore

This would be great if they could secure it.  Eventually they will.  After all, you can work your stocks on the net and you can mortgage your house online.

Libertarians For Life my blog

Economic Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian: -6.46
Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 11:39:20 pm »
Ignore

This would be great if they could secure it.  Eventually they will.  After all, you can work your stocks on the net and you can mortgage your house online.

Yes, but it's in the manufacturer's best interest in those cases that everything goes as planned for the user and it's very obvious when something has gone wrong, neither of which is necessarily true in electronic voting.  It's not just the issue of a lack of security that's the problem with electronic voting; the manufacturers themselves might try to pull something.

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
J-Mann
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 11:39:43 pm »
Ignore

They'll secure it eventually and it will be a new medium of voting. I still don't like it, though. The case for internet voting is bolstered by the idea of a national ID card...I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I agree with an earlier post: take a few minutes to get to the polls and vote! I've never personally had to stand in a line to vote, but it would still be worth taking the time to do. Internet voting seems like pandering to the lazy.

Political Compass --
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.95

It's easy to stand up for free speech when you agree with the speaker. - less so when you don't.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 11:59:42 pm »
Ignore

Which is why we need a verifiable paper receipt. But electronic voting is still a good idea.
KEmperor
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 10:04:09 am »
Ignore

Bad idea, any internet based system is ultimately vunerable to attack.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 12:30:45 pm »
Ignore

It's a terrible idea.
Unless the whole point is to rig it. In that case, it's a great idea.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 12:42:08 pm »
Ignore

Unless the whole point is to rig it. In that case, it's a great idea.

I expect that Liverpool City Council will start using it soon then...

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Redefeatbush04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 07:00:15 pm »
Ignore

Which is why we need a verifiable paper receipt. But electronic voting is still a good idea.

Should be easier to steal the election this time around eh Phillip?

Man is by nature a political animal - Aristotle
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 07:20:19 pm »
Ignore

Absolutly not. If you cannot go to a poll to support your candidate, you shouldn't be voting.

You beat me to it.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 11:16:36 am »
Ignore

I agree about the hacking. Also, people are forgetting how someone ineligible to vote can easily access multiple passwords and voter registration information from many people and end up voting through others several times for their candidate.

Brace yourselves for me.

Economic Left/Right: 7.05
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67
DA
dustinasby
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 03:07:47 pm »
Ignore

The only thing that would make internet voting a good idea is if a distinct, verifiable paper trail was created from the votes that could be used for a recount, which prompts the question as to why we shouldn't just go with the paper format to begin with. Asking the manufacturers for the source code wouldn't work because they could just provide an innocent version and then change it.

Paper trails don't work either. I can easily write a programme that will send one set of data and print/display a different set. All they need to do is that and use a randomizer to change 1 in every x (x being a large random number) votes to canidate y. The only way they could verify would be to go ask ever single person (which means the ballots couldn't be anonymous).

www.politicalcompass.org:
Economic  1.00
Social       -5.23

My map
President Forever
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 04:55:07 pm »
Ignore

The only thing that would make internet voting a good idea is if a distinct, verifiable paper trail was created from the votes that could be used for a recount, which prompts the question as to why we shouldn't just go with the paper format to begin with. Asking the manufacturers for the source code wouldn't work because they could just provide an innocent version and then change it.

Paper trails don't work either. I can easily write a programme that will send one set of data and print/display a different set. All they need to do is that and use a randomizer to change 1 in every x (x being a large random number) votes to canidate y. The only way they could verify would be to go ask ever single person (which means the ballots couldn't be anonymous).

Not a problem in general.
1. Have the voter check the paper trail themselves
2. Always do a count of the paper trail

However, I don't see how a paper trail would work over the Internet.
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 07:27:33 pm »
Ignore

Very bad idea.

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout