Are things getting better in Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:47:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Are things getting better in Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do think the situation in Iraq is getting worse or better in Iraqi?
Worse

Better

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Are things getting better in Iraq?  (Read 2709 times)
Donovan
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2004, 11:07:40 PM »

I think things are getting worse. More violent and dangerous to the troops. What do you think? Please discuss.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 11:10:57 PM »

If things are getting worse, it is only because we are getting closer to the election (in both the U.S. and Iraq).  The over-all situation has certainly improved from 3 years ago and things will continue to get better as Iraqis establish themselves.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:17:42 AM »

I'm waiting until after this new offensive to vote.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 01:19:16 AM »

If things are getting worse, it is only because we are getting closer to the election (in both the U.S. and Iraq).

Haven't we always been getting closer to the election? Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 01:52:09 AM »

It depends if you use to get raped by Uday or not.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 02:05:08 AM »

Good answer.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 02:15:18 AM »

If things are getting worse, it is only because we are getting closer to the election (in both the U.S. and Iraq).  The over-all situation has certainly improved from 3 years ago and things will continue to get better as Iraqis establish themselves.

oh yeah...

1000 US soldiers dead
12 000 iraq civils dead
Chaos in Iraq

an improvement, for sure...
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 02:16:48 AM »

oh yeah...

1000 US soldiers dead
12 000 iraq civils dead
Chaos in Iraq

What was the death rate among Iraqis in the average year under Saddam?

I bet its higher than it was this year.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 04:32:23 AM »

oh yeah...

1000 US soldiers dead
12 000 iraq civils dead
Chaos in Iraq

What was the death rate among Iraqis in the average year under Saddam?

I bet its higher than it was this year.

Saddam ruled for 25 years. 300000 dead. One year and 12000 Iraqis dead. That makes it 300000 dead in 25 years.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 04:38:14 AM »

I'm sure 300000 is a severe underestimation. Count Iran-Iraq, sanctions, the suppression of the Shia uprising and you're getting close to 2 million.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 04:46:57 AM »

Would that mean things are better or worse?
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 04:50:08 AM »

I'm sure 300000 is a severe underestimation. Count Iran-Iraq, sanctions, the suppression of the Shia uprising and you're getting close to 2 million.

Well there are worse things then being dead though you know. So I don't thing number of deaths is the only factor to consider.

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 01:42:46 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I hd always heard the number was closer to 2 million.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 02:07:47 PM »

Things are getting better.

Al-Sadr has lost close to 1000 "insurgents" in Najaf, Baghdad, and Samarra in the last month.

In Samarra we killed 100, and lost one soldier.

In the taking of the Najaf cemetery, we lost 4 Marines and killed 400.

Now, Al-Sadr is negotiating seriously to give up the insurgency and form a party for the election (see today's NY Times).

In this part of the world, unfortunately, it's about war and brinkmanship - twisting arms until someone says enough.

Once Al-Sadr stops making war on us, what we have left is Al-Zarqawi and the foreign terrorists, who are doing most of the car bombs and suicide bombings. These people have no support among Iraqis.

I believe there is a good chance that we'll see a large turnout for the January election, and a real sense of legitimacy in the new government.

It would be a shame if Bush weren't President when that happens. I just hope that a President Kerry would at that point turn his rhetoric around and stick with the Iraqi people.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 02:27:16 PM »

I think it's also important to remember that the United States was holding back from major offensives for the most part. It was hoped that an Iraqi army would be up and running soon enough to deal with a lot of the insurgency. This is what Bush wanted, it's what Allawi (sp?) wanted. The insurgency has been allowed to go on festering to a large extent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 05:17:45 PM »

Sure its getting worse - we're about to have an election.   This is an incredibly stupid move - elections in such places just result in theocracy.

We should just set Alawi up as a brutal client dictator and have him kill off the rebels by any means necessary.  Oh and let the Kurds continue in de facto independence.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 11:49:39 PM »

Things are getting better.

Al-Sadr has lost close to 1000 "insurgents" in Najaf, Baghdad, and Samarra in the last month.

In Samarra we killed 100, and lost one soldier.

In the taking of the Najaf cemetery, we lost 4 Marines and killed 400.

Now, Al-Sadr is negotiating seriously to give up the insurgency and form a party for the election (see today's NY Times).

In this part of the world, unfortunately, it's about war and brinkmanship - twisting arms until someone says enough.

Once Al-Sadr stops making war on us, what we have left is Al-Zarqawi and the foreign terrorists, who are doing most of the car bombs and suicide bombings. These people have no support among Iraqis.

I believe there is a good chance that we'll see a large turnout for the January election, and a real sense of legitimacy in the new government.

It would be a shame if Bush weren't President when that happens. I just hope that a President Kerry would at that point turn his rhetoric around and stick with the Iraqi people.

Can you brainstorm any ideas that would indicate things are getting worse? Such as number of dead, living conditions, number being injured etc?

Under what circumstances would change your mind?
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 08:46:13 AM »

I would change my mind if it became apparant that the majority of Iraqis were committed to racial and religious war rather than a peaceful united nation, better economic prospects, and political and economic freedoms. That's not going to happen. Those committed to racial and religious war are at most 5% of the population.

I would fear for the success of this enterprise in Iraq if Ayatollah Al-Sistani declared that America is the enemy, and joined with rebels like Al-Sadr in urging military resistance. That's not going to happen. Al-Sistani, the head of Shiite Islam, has shown how different his thinking is than that of the Iranian religious leaders. He's taking responsibility for his people, and understands compromise. He's a good leader to have around if you're trying to introduce democracy into a country.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 06:31:15 PM »

I would change my mind if it became apparant that the majority of Iraqis were committed to racial and religious war rather than a peaceful united nation, better economic prospects, and political and economic freedoms. That's not going to happen. Those committed to racial and religious war are at most 5% of the population.

I would fear for the success of this enterprise in Iraq if Ayatollah Al-Sistani declared that America is the enemy, and joined with rebels like Al-Sadr in urging military resistance. That's not going to happen. Al-Sistani, the head of Shiite Islam, has shown how different his thinking is than that of the Iranian religious leaders. He's taking responsibility for his people, and understands compromise. He's a good leader to have around if you're trying to introduce democracy into a country.

1 in 20 is a huge section of the population don't you think? I means 1 in 20, considering the size of families in the country, would mean that 1 in 2 families would have a close relative as a rebel. You think we can still have stability in that environment?
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 09:05:50 AM »

1 in 20 is a huge section of the population don't you think? I means 1 in 20, considering the size of families in the country, would mean that 1 in 2 families would have a close relative as a rebel. You think we can still have stability in that environment?

Of course, because the situation is fluid. Over time, an Iraqi-run government strengthens, and so does  public participation in Iraq’s educational and political institutions. As the possibility of a tolerant and democratic society becomes more real, public opinion turns against fundamentalist and racial violence, and most of the families who have a rebel as a close relative convince him that the political process is the more effective way to make the country better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies