Veterans' Care Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:28:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Veterans' Care Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Veterans' Care Bill (Law'd)  (Read 3018 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:20 AM »
« edited: May 16, 2009, 01:14:18 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Veterans' Care Bil

1. The Government of Atlasia hereby establishes a Veterans' Affairs division, headed by the Secretary of External Affairs, to carry out the following responsibilities:
     a. Conduct and report research on the conditions of and challenges to veterans throughout Atlasia
     b. Run subsidized hospitals and medical facilities for the care and treatment of Atlasian veterans.
     c. Provide services for Atlasian veterans and military families.
2. The Senate shall apportion $85 billion for the Veterans' Affairs division for FY 2009, with an increase of 0.5% over inflation each FY thereafter.
3. All funds not used at the end of each FY shall be placed into a fund to provide scholarships for higher education and job training for Atlasian veterans. The Senate shall apportion $15 billion directly to this fund upon passage of this legislation.

Spon: Sen. PurpleState
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »

I actually would recommend raising the base amount for the scholarship fund.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »

strongly supported
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

I actually would recommend raising the base amount for the scholarship fund.

I'm not fully aware of the amount needed, but I imagine it isn't incredibly high. Perhaps an amendment to provide that number of funds every year, adjusted for inflation, rather than simply at the start?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:54:13 PM »

Re-write Section 3. Otherwise you will have octogenarian Korean veterans lining up for scholarships Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »

I would like Section 3 to be reworded as follows:

3. All funds not used at the end of each FY shall be placed into a fund to provide scholarships for higher education and job training for Atlasian veterans between the ages of 18 and 29. The Senate shall apportion $15 billion directly to this fund upon passage of this legislation and an additional $15 billion annually, adjusted for inflation.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »

I like the bill, and am undecided on the amendment. What's inherently wrong with, say, funding vocational training for a thirty five year old?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »

$100,000,000,000 for this fiscal year alone? I don't think it needs to be said what I think of this bill.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »

$100,000,000,000 for this fiscal year alone? I don't think it needs to be said what I think of this bill.

I had concerns with this too. A quick fact check gave a potential figure of close to 25 million 'vets' (depending on the definition of vets; service or not and so on) which could potentially soak up the money.

Can anyone get some stats for this as well as the definition?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »

Presumably, a lot of this money will be one-time costs for things like building the hospitals and offices and stuff, right?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »

Presumably, a lot of this money will be one-time costs for things like building the hospitals and offices and stuff, right?

I interpreted section 2 to be $85 billion plus inflation on a yearly basis. I find its wording to be slightly confusing.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

I interpreted section 2 to be $85 billion plus inflation on a yearly basis. I find its wording to be slightly confusing.

I'm pretty sure that's what it does mean.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's what it does mean.

It's with inflation and a 0.5% increase above that.

I had concerns with this too. A quick fact check gave a potential figure of close to 25 million 'vets' (depending on the definition of vets; service or not and so on) which could potentially soak up the money.

Can anyone get some stats for this as well as the definition?

Called the VA and they have no idea what the numbers are.

The money at first will be for setting these things up, but money will also be needed to run them. The VA's current budget request in the US is $115 billion, so...
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »

The only fail to understand Section 2 on the matter of inflation.  Inflation to my knowledge does not always increase at the same rate....
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »

The only fail to understand Section 2 on the matter of inflation.  Inflation to my knowledge does not always increase at the same rate....

The intention of the wording (if someone could offer a better wording that would be great), is to increase beyond inflation. So increase the amount by inflation, followed by an additional increase of 0.5%.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »

I don't like including inflation. I think each Senate should appropriate money annually for the year ahead, not based on inflation or previous years' amounts.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »

I don't like including inflation. I think each Senate should appropriate money annually for the year ahead, not based on inflation or previous years' amounts.

It's just to ensure that the Senate doesn't need to pass a whole bunch of bills each year to update statutes for inflation. That would require an ever growing appropriations package each year.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »

It's just to ensure that the Senate doesn't need to pass a whole bunch of bills each year to update statutes for inflation. That would require an ever growing appropriations package each year.

The Senate could bundle the appropriations into a single Appropriations Bill, where each section would be for a particular budget line.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »

The Senate could bundle the appropriations into a single Appropriations Bill, where each section would be for a particular budget line.

Awfully complicated to make sure we hit the right things, plus it makes it much easier to block the continuation of certain programs. I think it adds more obstacles than are necessary. We can vote on an amendment though. See what everyone else thinks about it.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 06:41:41 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2009, 07:22:35 AM by Smid »

Awfully complicated to make sure we hit the right things, plus it makes it much easier to block the continuation of certain programs. I think it adds more obstacles than are necessary. We can vote on an amendment though. See what everyone else thinks about it.

I'm not so opposed as to move an amendment. I have, after all, supported other bills with a similar structure (factoring in inflation). I've always found it curious, though. My concern with including inflation means that if the system being funded becomes more efficient, the taxpayer doesn't receive those savings, and it constrains a future Senate to funding Bills passed by a previous Senate. Anyway, that doesn't bother me enough to go moving an amendment, it's just something that has bemused me, is all.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

That's fine. Senates are allowed to repeal legislation so if it decides this isn't worth funding anymore it does have an out.

Does anyone have better wording for the inflation + 0.5% thing?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »

I know the 72 hours haven't passed yet but I'm wondering if anybody is working on any amendments for this? If so just let me know so I won't open the vote up right away tomorrow.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »

Mr PPT, I rise today to speak in support of the Veterans' Care Bill.

Atlasia has a long and proud history of supporting the causes of peace and justice. Unfortunately, those two ideals do not always co-exist, and there are times when military intervention is required to right injustices and to bring long term peace to the nations of the earth.

We are not quick to impose our will on others in the global community but we act with temperance and consideration of our actions, and when the need to intervene in conflict is proven to be the best course, we move swiftly and decisively.

In times of conflict, Mr PPT, we look to our soldiers, our men and women serving in the armed forces, and we ask them to put their lives on the line, the front line, to protect Atlasian values. They go boldly into danger, they march proudly to the very gates of hell, with scant regard for themselves. They are the collective personification of selflessness.

Before us now is a Bill to recognise the services that these men and women have provided our nation.

This is Atlasia's chance to say thank you for all that you have done.

Those who have fallen in the line of fire have paid the ultimate sacrifice in defence of our values, but those who have returned were no less willing to pay the price for our liberty and we must recognise their service.

Justice is one of the foundations on which Atlasia was built. It is one of the principles for which Atlasian veterans have fought. We should provide our veterans with an adequate compensation for their services, but more than that, we should shower them with our gratitude.

This Bill recognises the contribution of Atlasian veterans and I commend it to the Senate.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 01:12:27 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. The Government of Atlasia hereby establishes a Veterans' Affairs division, headed by the Secretary of External Affairs, to carry out the following responsibilities:
     a. Conduct and report research on the conditions of and challenges to veterans throughout Atlasia
     b. Run subsidized hospitals and medical facilities for the care and treatment of Atlasian veterans.
     c. Provide services for Atlasian veterans and military families.
2. The Senate shall apportion $85 billion for the Veterans' Affairs division for FY 2009, with an increase of 0.5% over inflation each FY thereafter.
3. All funds not used at the end of each FY shall be placed into a fund to provide scholarships for higher education and job training for Atlasian veterans between the ages of 18 and 29. The Senate shall apportion $15 billion directly to this fund upon passage of this legislation and an additional $15 billion annually, adjusted for inflation.

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:42:55 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2009, 02:38:04 AM by Senator PiT »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »