State Trends 2000-2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  State Trends 2000-2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Trends 2000-2012  (Read 5787 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2012, 01:36:08 PM by Mehmentum »

The change in the margins of victory relative to popular vote between 2000 and 2012. All data is from this site's archives.

90% shading = 20 point or more gain in margin
70% shading = 10-20 point gain in margin
50% shading = 5-10 point gain in margin
30% shading = 1-5 point gain in margin
Grey = <1 gain in margin

I'm not quite sure why most states are trending Democratic despite adjusting for the popular vote of election year.  The average gain in margin is 1.2% for the democrats.  It may be because some of the largest D-trending states have 3 or 4 EVs (Vermont, Hawaii, Montana, Alaska), scewing the results of this.  Also, keep in mind that the vote is still being counted and Obama's margin is likely to go up, which would shift the relative margins accordingly.

Democrats gained (relative to the popular vote) each election in Vermont, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina, California, Washington, Texas and Iowa.  Republicans did this in West Virginia, Tennesee, Kentucky and Missouri.

I'm suspicious of Connecticut, the Atlas says Obama won by 3%, which is very different than other websites say and doesn't make any sense given its margins in previous years.

Arizona, Alaska, and Montana really surprised me!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

Well Montana has heavier unionization and very little "right to work" legislation, which explains it's surprising D lean.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »

Wow, thanks to the OP for this excellent map - I was just wishing for such a map the other day.  Though it is certainly true that the figures for 2012 are still changing at this point.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »

CT was 16.95 more D than the nation 2000, and 13.05 more D in 2012. Wouldn't that be a 3.9% R swing by your method? And if so shouldn't it be colored the >30% shade?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »

CT was 16.95 more D than the nation 2000, and 13.05 more D in 2012. Wouldn't that be a 3.9% R swing by your method? And if so shouldn't it be colored the >30% shade?
Because Leip screwed up the margins.
Rainbow_Crown

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »

The change in the margins of victory relative to popular vote between 2000 and 2012. All data is from this site's archives.

I'm not quite sure why most states are trending Democratic despite adjusting for the popular vote of election year.  The average gain in margin is 1.2% for the democrats.  It may be because some of the largest D-trending states have 3 or 4 EVs (Vermont, Hawaii, Montana, Alaska), scewing the results of this.  Also, keep in mind that the vote is still being counted and Obama's margin is likely to go up, which would shift the relative margins accordingly.

Democrats gained (relative to the popular vote) each election in Vermont, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina, California, Washington, Texas and Iowa.  Republicans did this in West Virginia, Tennesee, Kentucky and Missouri.

I'm suspicious of Connecticut, the Atlas says Obama won by 3%, which is very different than other websites say and doesn't make any sense given its margins in previous years.

Texas did not trend Democratic in each election. Obama lost by 11 in 2008 and lost by 16-17? in 2012
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »

Texas did not trend Democratic in each election. Obama lost by 11 in 2008 and lost by 16-17? in 2012
By trend, I mean state margin with respect to national margin.  For example, a state is has a margin of 10% for Democrats one election when the national margin is 2% for the Democrats.  In the next election the state goes 9% for the Democrats even though they lose the national PV by 5%.  In the first year, the state was 8% more Democratic than the country.  In the second, it was 14% more Democratic than the country. 

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »

It also trended D in 2004 and 2008. So that evens it out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »

If someone's interested, here I did a few maps of the long-term trends in past elections till 2008. Will update those for 2012 as soon as we get the final results.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »

For Arizona, could there maybe have been some PUMA-type angry McCain supporters refusing to vote for Bush?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2013, 09:36:33 PM by nclib »

Swing/Trend from 2004 to 2012:

Red = Trend Dem
Green = Swing Dem, trend GOP
Blue = Swing GOP
Knives
solopop
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »

What's the difference between swing and trend?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:32:06 AM »

What's the difference between swing and trend?

Can someone tell me the difference between swing and trend? Probably a stupid question, but it would sure be helpful. Tongue
The swing is the change in absolute margin, the trend is the change in relative margin to the nation as a whole.

Ex. Iowa:
2008 - +9.5 O (national +7.3 O)
2012 - +5.8 O (national +3.1 O)
Swing: +3.7 R
Trend: +0.5 O
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »

People need to familiarize themselves with Leip's Atlas before they even think of registering here. There is really no excuse for not knowing what swing and trend are. Tongue
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »

Red = Trend Dem
Blue = Swing GOP

This one is fascinating.  It suggests that AZ really won't be that interesting anytime soon.  NH is a bit surprising, but they are naturally anti-incumbent.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

I'm surprised Obama did as well as he did in New Hampshire.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

Yeah, Romney was probably the right candidate for that State.

(well, he was the right candidate for MA too, and yet... Roll Eyes)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »

I updated my 2004-2012 map to reflect changes (ME, MI, and FL from Red to Green), and the OP should do the same to the 2000-2012 map.
hopper
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »

Should do a 2008-2012 map.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2013, 08:38:05 PM by hopper »

90% shading = 20 point or more gain in margin
70% shading = 10-20 point gain in margin
50% shading = 5-10 point gain in margin
30% shading = 1-5 point gain in margin
Grey = <1 gain in margin

New York, New Jersey, Michigan and Connecticut didn't move it all. I guess those states are as Dem as they can get in terms of a vote floor. Mississippi swinging Dem is a surprise too. Montana swinging Dem as much as did is a pleasent surprise too but the state has had 2 Dem Star Politicians in Schweitzer and Tester since the mid 2000's come into high office.  Same thing with Alaska but they don't have any Dem politicians on the level of a Schweitzer or even  a Tester.

Whats up with Texas swinging Dem?
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2013, 08:44:59 PM by hopper »

Red = Trend Dem
Blue = Swing GOP
Mississippi trending D is a shock. SC must be trending D very lightly if it is trending D. Ditto the same with Idaho.

Maine trending GOP is a shock too.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »

MS is due to highest black %, and white Dem support that couldn't get any lower. ME was very close to the average swing, and the French-bashing in 2004 played a role.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »

just bumping this so the latest post isn't that thing
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »