Senate votes to allow licensed handgun carry in national parks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:33:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate votes to allow licensed handgun carry in national parks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate votes to allow licensed handgun carry in national parks  (Read 3988 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »

"To protect innocent Americans from violent crime in national parks and refuges."

Armed robbery is a problem.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »

Carrying a gun in the woods is often prudent (though from a self-defense perspective, certainly far less necessary than most city-dwellers would think). I'm struggling to come up with a scenario where a handgun would be the optimal weapon to have, however.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »

Happily I shall never go to a 'National Park'.

You have been to one if you've ever been to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis (the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial).

And any person who can't appreciate the splendor of the National Parks is a sad individual indeed. I hope to one day visit every one in the entire system.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »

Carrying a gun in the woods is often prudent (though from a self-defense perspective, certainly far less necessary than most city-dwellers would think). I'm struggling to come up with a scenario where a handgun would be the optimal weapon to have, however.
Lighter, easier to access quickly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »

I think I would want to carry a gun on that plateau in Yellowstone that has few trees and lots of Grizzlies. (One of my law school classmates was literally eaten by a Grizzly, albeit that was in Alaska. He was dragged out of his tent and consumed.) That is a somewhat dangerous combo. Other than that, what is the justification if you can't use the guns? Maybe one was posited above, by someone who is a more creative thinker than I.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »

I think I would want to carry a gun on that plateau in Yellowstone that has few trees and lots of Grizzlies. (One of my law school classmates was literally eaten by a Grizzly, albeit that was in Alaska. He was dragged out of his tent and consumed.) That is a somewhat dangerous combo. Other than that, what is the justification if you can't use the guns? Maybe one was posited above, by someone who is a more creative thinker than I.

That's the main reason - to protect yourself in the backwoods from dangerous critters, some of which may be smaller than a grizzly bear.  But there are also some national parks and monuments in marginally safe urban areas and on the border, where you might run into dangerous critters of the human kind.  Smugglers are a problem in places like Big Bend and Organ Pipe Cactus NM.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »

Happily I shall never go to a 'National Park'.

You have been to one if you've ever been to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis (the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial).

And any person who can't appreciate the splendor of the National Parks is a sad individual indeed. I hope to one day visit every one in the entire system.

Yeah I've ridden that cheezy little train up into the arch.  The arch is kind of funny - a monument to the 60s and the excess exuberance of american liberalism, like the space program.  All destroyed since by traditional thuggery.

Anyway I didn't say I've never been to a national park, just that I'll never go to one.  In the future.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »

(One of my law school classmates was literally eaten by a Grizzly, albeit that was in Alaska. He was dragged out of his tent and consumed.)

Wow, dramatic.  A good reason to do your holiday-making at Patpong, rather than in some sh**tty wilderness.  In the dens of which I'm thinking, you'll be consumed, but it will be mighty harmless.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »

(One of my law school classmates was literally eaten by a Grizzly, albeit that was in Alaska. He was dragged out of his tent and consumed.)

Wow, dramatic.  A good reason to do your holiday-making at Patpong, rather than in some sh**tty wilderness.  In the dens of which I'm thinking, you'll be consumed, but it will be mighty harmless.

I think you may be "on" to something Opebo.  Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »

I think you may be "on" to something Opebo.  Tongue

Insert (in)appropriate Mark Foley joke.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies