Arizona House passes bill to allow guns in parked vehicles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arizona House passes bill to allow guns in parked vehicles
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona House passes bill to allow guns in parked vehicles  (Read 1483 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »

From today's Tucson Citizen:

House OKs bill to allow guns in parked vehicles

The Associated Press

PHOENIX — The state House has overwhelmingly approved a bill that would permit a gun owner to keep a weapon out of sight in a locked vehicle in a parking lot or garage.

House approval of the bill on Wednesday on a 41-10 vote sends it to the state Senate, which has not yet begun considering non-budget bills during the current session.

Supporters said the bill would serve Arizonans who want to have guns in vehicles for self-defense and recreational purposes. Critics said it tramples on private property rights and overturns employers' bans of weapons on their property.

The bill, which Republican Rep. John Kavanagh of Fountain Hills has said he introduced at the behest of the National Rifle Association, would not apply to parking areas of detached, single-family homes.

Hardworking Arizonans already have been secretly leaving guns in their vehicles while going to work at places where guns are banned, said Rep. Frank Antenori, R-Tucson. "But they don't have to worry now about being potentially fired or penalized for doing that."

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »

*facepalm*
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:09 AM »

So why does someone need to keep a gun with them when they go to work? Do they work for the crips or something?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:27 AM »

From the OP/article
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:17:54 AM »

From the OP/article
You must be logged in to read this quote.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:05:03 AM »

Sadly, I can't see the image from work.  I'm sure I'm missing out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:14:22 AM »

So why does someone need to keep a gun with them when they go to work? Do they work for the crips or something?

Easy: after work they wish to go to a shooting range or hunt.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:14:59 AM »

The gun will be in the parked car when they go to work, not on them at their place of employment.  If you've ever had the privilege of living or working nights in a not-so-nice area, you might understand why someone might want a gun nearby at all times.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »

The gun will be in the parked car when they go to work, not on them at their place of employment.  If you've ever had the privilege of living or working nights in a not-so-nice area, you might understand why someone might want a gun nearby at all times.

Who owns the parking lot? The employer. That's why this causes friction between the 2nd Amendment people and Chamber of Commerce types.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »

Phew, it must've been a pain not to be able to park with a gun in the car.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »

personally i feel this is bordering on infringement on the rights of the businesses.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

personally i feel this is bordering on infringement on the rights of the businesses.

Do you consider any car and its contents parked on your property to be under your control? There is a line that needs to be drawn, where does the business's property end and the individual's property begin? Where it is parked, how long it can stay there, and the intention of parking it there are as far as I would give a business owner. However, the right to the car itself and its contents should be solely the responsibility of the owner of the car. Wouldn't you agree?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55:40 AM »

Do you consider any car and its contents parked on your property to be under your control? There is a line that needs to be drawn, where does the business's property end and the individual's property begin? Where it is parked, how long it can stay there, and the intention of parking it there are as far as I would give a business owner. However, the right to the car itself and its contents should be solely the responsibility of the owner of the car. Wouldn't you agree?

Not really. Businesses have the right to have cars on their property searched. That is why companies can hire private security and inspect cars, with reasonable motives of course.

The individual's property begins on the individual's property or in the public domain. But within the property of another individual or group it is certainly not considered free from regulation by the property owner.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 03:33:55 AM »

Easy: after work they wish to go to a shooting range or hunt.

So couldn't they just go home and pick it up if they wanted to, especially if their employer prohibits them from having guns on their property. Cynic's reasoning makes much more practical sense I think.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »

This is one of those symbolic much ado about nothing issues. But hey, if it makes the gunners feel better about themselves, I guess that is fine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies