Are you scared of Obama's health care plan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:19:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are you scared of Obama's health care plan?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you scared of Obama's health care plan?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Are you scared of Obama's health care plan?  (Read 3169 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 02:29:26 AM »

Are you trying to imply that the entire thing can't be funded through cigarette taxes???
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 02:34:03 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2009, 02:38:28 AM by Lunar »

Hah.  I just know how infinitely more popular cigarette and alcohol taxes are [especially the former] when it comes to providing services.  Wasn't SCHIP funded through raising the national cigarette tax?  And, of course, state governments nationwide are raising cigarette taxes to deal with budget shortfalls as a cheap shortcut to avoid making actual decisions.

Anyway, look to some sort of cigarette tax to be included for a fraction of the cost.  I would be very surprised indeed if that wasn't included, no matter how minute it may be.

I wonder what all of those poor children without health insurance will do if smokers actually decided to smoke less cigarettes in response?  Or if the growth rate of new smokers is less than the population growth rate?  Anyway, continue on the topic of being scared.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »

If its socialized medicine, yes.

I'll be honest, either he hasn't communicated it well, or I'm not paying attention, or both, but I don't fully understand his plan.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »

Hah.  I just know how infinitely more popular cigarette and alcohol taxes are [especially the former] when it comes to providing services.  Wasn't SCHIP funded through raising the national cigarette tax?  And, of course, state governments nationwide are raising cigarette taxes to deal with budget shortfalls as a cheap shortcut to avoid making actual decisions.

Anyway, look to some sort of cigarette tax to be included for a fraction of the cost.  I would be very surprised indeed if that wasn't included, no matter how minute it may be.

I wonder what all of those poor children without health insurance will do if smokers actually decided to smoke less cigarettes in response?  Or if the growth rate of new smokers is less than the population growth rate?  Anyway, continue on the topic of being scared.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0509/Taxing_soda_beer_and_health_premiums.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »

No, but I would prefer single payer.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »

Agreed. But it's a step in the right direction.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

Anyway, the answer is yes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

I don't know what it is exactly yet, so I would have to with-hold judgment.  If it approximates the Wyden-Bennett health care reform bill (which I think it will, ultimately), most definitely not. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »

Speaking of the Healthy Americans Act, it seems to be gaining converts among Republicans.  Perhaps unsurprising, but nonetheless encouraging:

Wyden is winning over the GOP on healthcare

By Alexander Bolton and Jeffrey Young
Posted: 05/18/09 08:15 PM [ET]

Some of the biggest names in the Democratic Party have lined up to take the lead on healthcare reform, but the key to a bipartisan compromise may be the lesser-known Sen. Ron Wyden.

The Oregon Democrat doesn’t chair a committee in the upper chamber and represents one of the most liberal states. Yet Wyden has emerged as a potential game-changer by insisting the legislation have strong support across the aisle and forging a partnership with a GOP senator who has the Senate minority leader’s ear.

Republicans are so impressed with Wyden’s bill that some are convinced he represents President Obama’s best chance for getting major healthcare reform signed into law this Congress.

And while Democratic Sens. Edward Kennedy (Mass.) and Max Baucus (Mont.) may chair the committees charged with shepherding the bill through the Senate, Wyden, a 6-foot-4 former college basketball player, has his own advantage: a standing invitation to play hoops with the president at the White House, which may come in handy when hashing out the final details behind the scenes.

For Wyden, the key to passing lasting healthcare reform is finding a legislative solution that can win at least 70 votes in the Senate — and he’s not shy about letting Democrats know that means dropping thoughts of a government-run public plan for the entire nation.

To make his case, he has met individually with more than 80 Senate colleagues to discuss his proposals. He has envisioned his role as neutral broker so vividly that during the height of the Democratic presidential primary, Wyden refused to back either Obama or then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.).

Wyden counts among his closest friends Sens. Bob Bennett (R-Utah), who is a confidant of Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who is widely respected and has a knack for persuading colleagues to support compromises.

Bennett has signed on as the chief GOP co-sponsor of Wyden’s bill and has persuaded two other members of the Senate Republican leadership to join him: Senate Republican Conference Chairman Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) and Sen. Judd Gregg (N.H.).

“The history of bringing about enduring change, change that is going to last, change that people are going to rally behind — that history is predicated on bringing people together,” Wyden said during an interview in his Senate office. “There’s a real path of getting an upwards of 70 votes for historic health reform, where the country can say, after all these years of bickering and fighting and polarizing contentious debate, people really came together.”

Wyden’s support among Republicans is surprising because he is far from the far-right of his own party. He is the son of a muckraking journalist who smoked cigars with Fidel Castro. After college, Wyden founded the Oregon chapter of the Gray Panthers, a liberal advocacy group for senior citizens that borrowed its name from the radical black-power activists of the 1960s, albeit with some humor. One of the group’s first victories was passage of a referendum reducing the price of dentures.

“Sen. Wyden, by virtue of spending a lot of time on the issue and having attracted a lot of Republicans and Democrats, is a strong force,” said Alexander. “Senators that know an issue earn the respect of other senators, and we listen to them.”
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »

Agreed. But it's a step in the right direction.

Good point, Nym.  Better to move the ball eight yards down the field than not at all. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »

Then he's retarded. There's no such thing as healthcare reform without a public option.

Also, the idea that we can get 70 or 80 votes for this in the Senate is similarly retarded. Only like 66 Senators voted for SCHIP, fuçking SCHIP, and we're supposed to find an additional 15 Republicans to support universal healthcare? Good luck with that.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »

Then he's retarded. There's no such thing as healthcare reform without a public option.

Also, the idea that we can get 70 or 80 votes for this in the Senate is similarly retarded. Only like 66 Senators voted for SCHIP, fuçking SCHIP, and we're supposed to find an additional 15 Republicans to support universal healthcare? Good luck with that.

Well of course it's not going to be "universal" sadly, but hopefully we gain Senate seats in 2010 and have enough votes to improve upon it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

Please don't ever call the fire department again.

Thanks.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »

We didn't vote for "change," Lief. We voted for "The same thing but not so bad."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies