Will Nancy Pelosi be Speaker by the end of the year? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:53:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Nancy Pelosi be Speaker by the end of the year? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Nancy Pelosi be Speaker by the end of the year?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Will Nancy Pelosi be Speaker by the end of the year?  (Read 2233 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 15, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

Tempest in a teapot. It's only important insofar as it helps Republican stall on investigation of torture and confuse journalists.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »

Murtha and Rangel are in more hot water from a legal perspective but Nancy's political drama is far more compelling and has already garnered infinitely more attention from the press.  It's a credibility/leadership issue rather than a legal one.  Plus if Murtha or Rangel were ever Speaker while their scandals were unfolding they'd likely be gone already.

I'm sorry, but I witnessed far too many compelling political dramas where Republicans made asses of themselves in the last eight years and easily survived to think that this one, which Pelosi is fighting back on, is somehow going to kill her career. What exactly has she done that's going to lead to her ouster? She's fighting back, and she's got some strong allies in Bob Graham and Obama. Newt Gingrich and Steve King calling for her ouster is not going to carry any weight in the Democratic caucus.

This is like thinking that "arsenic in the water" was the silver bullet that was going to take down the Bush Administration in 2002.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »

I think there is no doubt she will be speaker, albeit a weakened wounded one.

I just don't see how this particular incident will prevent her from commanding the votes of Democratic representatives on all other issues at least as well as she did before.

I don't know, I feel like this is a Twilight Zone moment where other people live in a world where Pelosi is fatally compromised by this past week's events and I still see an ongoing issue that's largely about someone else and which doesn't take away her huge Democratic majority and widespread support in the caucus.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies