Obama to name Jon Huntsman as Ambassador to China
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to name Jon Huntsman as Ambassador to China
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Obama to name Jon Huntsman as Ambassador to China  (Read 2796 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Governor-Huntsman-to-resign-and-accept-Obama/M9g_XHw4nECKmfUlKTw3UQ.cspx

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, one less potential 2012 contender, then.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »

Why in the world would someone do that?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »

Well, this is certainly surprising.  Excellent news for the Democrats; Huntsman was the GOP's best pick, in my view.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »

haha, gun to the knife fight indeed.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »

Obama is one sly and crafty politician indeed -and it does raise questions on why Huntsman decided he would be better off being ambassador to China than to attempt to win his party's presidential nomination in 2012...
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »

im guessing he figured being ambassador to china would be less stressful than being a governor in this economy.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »

Maybe Obama is trying to give appointments to all 50 state governors. If he chooses Jennifer Granholm for the Supreme Court then we'll know something's up.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »

Obama's appointments have been pretty much the most brilliant in a while. Too bad Judd Gregg got him back.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »

It's a win-win situation.  Obama removes a potential opponent and a relatively experienced statesman who speaks fluent Chinese, Huntsman gets a prestigious job that doesn't involve balancing a recession budget
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »

Why did Obama bury this news story on a Friday evening?
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:51 PM »

The happiest person tonight, however, is Mitt Romney.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »

Also: Remember that we've had a president before who's served as ambassador to China previously
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »

Huntsman wants to be president some day is my guess. It is not as Quixotic a dream as it might seem - just a long shot. He will "sell" better than Romney I would think.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »

Huntsman wants to be president some day is my guess. It is not as Quixotic a dream as it might seem - just a long shot. He will "sell" better than Romney I would think.

And if so, this will get him the hallowed Foreign Policy Experience.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 10:18:03 PM »

Kind of difficult to run or even prepare for a Presidential campaign when you're living in China though.

The entire thing is just sort of... bizarre.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 10:22:58 PM »

Kind of difficult to run or even prepare for a Presidential campaign when you're living in China though.

2016.  [Or you can go from Ambassador of China to another posish like George HW Bush did]

That way he won't have a record of being a governor during the recession and can brag about his successes.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 10:30:39 PM »

2016.  [Or you can go from Ambassador of China to another posish like George HW Bush did]

That way he won't have a record of being a governor during the recession and can brag about his successes.

Yea, I thought about that a few minutes after I posted it. He gets the Governor experience credit without having to do nasty tax increases or anything and on top of that gets some foreign policy experience. And bipartisan credentials.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »

Odds are we're going to have some kind of flair up in China over the next 3-8 years, however long he stays there, and he can take credit for resolving it
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 10:43:26 PM »

Yes, but Bush was Ambassador to China for a GOP administration, the same party whose presidential nomination he ultimately ran for.  It would be really weird for someone to hold public office for one party, serve in the administration of another party, then go back to the first party to run for president.  Not that an ambassadorship is an overly partisan position, but he will be representing the US government's positions on policy issues there, and those policies are set by Barack Obama.

And I don't know that I buy the "he has to do this to get foreign policy cred for a presidential run" meme.  He was already (briefly) ambassador to Singapore for Bush I, and then deputy US trade rep for Bush II.

I'm thinking that maybe Huntsman doesn't want to be president as badly as I thought (or he does, but doesn't think it's likely to happen).  I think his odds of ultimately running for president (whether in 2012, 2016, 2020....) have gone down with this announcement.

Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »

DAMN!!  Huntsman won't do me any good in China!  He's doing a damn good job in the Governor's office here.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »

Well, the Chinese will certainly consider him prestigious enough for them. Apparently there were rumblings they would object over the appointment of an academic as ambassador, which was why Obama was having so much trouble filling the position.

Unless Huntsman indeed does run for President in 2016 or something, in the short term it seems to be a good political appointment.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 11:14:15 PM »

I'm feeling simultaneously better about 2012 and worse about 2016 and beyond...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »

Yes, but Bush was Ambassador to China for a GOP administration, the same party whose presidential nomination he ultimately ran for.  It would be really weird for someone to hold public office for one party, serve in the administration of another party, then go back to the first party to run for president.  Not that an ambassadorship is an overly partisan position, but he will be representing the US government's positions on policy issues there, and those policies are set by Barack Obama.

And I don't know that I buy the "he has to do this to get foreign policy cred for a presidential run" meme.  He was already (briefly) ambassador to Singapore for Bush I, and then deputy US trade rep for Bush II.

I'm thinking that maybe Huntsman doesn't want to be president as badly as I thought (or he does, but doesn't think it's likely to happen).  I think his odds of ultimately running for president (whether in 2012, 2016, 2020....) have gone down with this announcement.

I disagree with you to some extent.  If he concluded that he and Romney couldn't both be in the race in 2012 (and he might not want to take on Obama in the general anyway), and he was seeking an "out" so that he could respectfully leave his position before raising taxes/seeing job loss/cutting social programs and claim his governorship was successful, what better way than a prestigious position such as this?

I think this signals that he's not zeroing in on the White House, but I doubt he's necessarily any less interested in it in the long run.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 11:20:26 PM »

I hope he can work some of that 80% approval magic on China's perception of us.  Wink

Seriously, good luck.  I hope he's thought through trading the gorgeous Salt Lake City and its clear air for smog-ridden Peking.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »

So I guess Huntsman's odds of President rose from about 1% to about 0%.  Sounds about right.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies