Math
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:46:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Math
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Math  (Read 2852 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:56:29 AM »

I hate math and all things relating to math. My brain just can't function well with numbers for some reason while I can memorize and reason with lots of history and social science better than my history teacher. I do not like this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:58:40 AM »

I love math. I find social sciences to be impossibly boring for the most part, though. Funny how that works, isn't it?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:01:06 AM »

I love math. I find social sciences to be impossibly boring for the most part, though. Funny how that works, isn't it?
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »

People are always so hostile to math.  They rant and rave about how evil it.  You'll never see a math major ranting and raving on literature or the social sciences though.

Not to say that EMD was doing this, but a lot of people do.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:20:36 AM »

Isn't this forum kind of an odd place for you to be posting then?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:17:06 AM »

I had a thing with reading long uninteresting novels in school.  Vocabulary and grammar had to assist me in my English grade in HS.  Interestingly, I loved history, Model UN, politics, and math.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 02:24:10 AM »

I loved math (and still do) up through Geometry.  When it turned more into theory and imaginary numbers and that "f of x" BS I threw in the towel.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:51:20 AM »

People are always so hostile to math.  They rant and rave about how evil it.  You'll never see a math major ranting and raving on literature or the social sciences though.

Not to say that EMD was doing this, but a lot of people do.

No, they just ramble about how it's a 'real' major and people doing anything with liberal arts aren't on the same level.

Anyway, yeah I am not a fan. I was horrible when I was younger, now I can pass for mediocre at it. I can work with budgets or basic economics (in fact I love the latter), but give me sigma notations or whatever and my eyes glaze over.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »

I didn't like math as a child.  In high school, I would never finish tests, so all but two of Bs I got on my report cards were in math classes.  During college, I was diagnosed with both ADD and Dyslexia.  Once I was able to use the ADA for more time, math wasn't a problem.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:15:30 AM »

Who syas math and social sciences are opposed? [/econ major]
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »

Most of the major studies are interesting, especially if you don't understand them easily at first.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »

I'm not sure from EMD's post whether his problem is solely with the computational aspect of math, but there's more to it then that. There are other equally important skills. For instance story problems develop the ability to relate a verbal description to an abstract form, and helps in areas from utilizing a computer to crafting a rigorous argument.

Another often overlooked skill area in math is the interpretation of data and results. We regularly see mathematical output in everyday life, but math gives the training to put this into context. Just think of all the polling data last fall as an example of where math fluency can help in understanding, and all the articles noted on this forum where the media got it wrong due to lack of fluency in math.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:47 AM »

The two things in the world that I can do really, really well are calculus and memorizing and talking about stuff related to the Social Sciences. Don't ask me to do anything remotely art-related, though.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

I don't like math either Tongue  I managed to pull an A- in my Math for Design class because we got to pick how much we wanted things to be worth (within a range).  I decided to have the art projects worth the most and I got A's on those.  The tests, attendance, and homework, however...... Tongue

Rin-chan
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »

I suppose technical training is necessary for those who must toil for their bread.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »

I hate math too. Numbers and all that don't come easily too me, damn quantitative stuff. Tongue I'm better with qualitative stuff. So I've always been bad at math, the best I could pull off were B's by working a ton and aceing the hw while getting bad grades on tests. Same for the mandatory Accounting and Econ classes I had to take.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

I hate math.  I hate it more than anything else in the entire world.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »

I don't hate math. I think it's an important subject that you need to know. But it certainly isn't my favorite subject. It's so easy to get behind in Math. I'm currently in Geometry. The proof tables suck majorly, and I'm terrible at it. Thankfully, we haven't been doing any this grading period, so I have an A in there.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »

I loved math (and still do) up through Geometry.  When it turned more into theory and imaginary numbers and that "f of x" BS I threw in the towel.

Yeah, same here.  I loved algebra because it represented operations that actually happened, and it seemed logical to me.  Geometry was fine too.  Loved stats.  Precalc was pushing it, and by the time I got to calc, I decided that I didn't want to spend an hour a night trying to understand theory stuff that I didn't care about.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »

Not at all. I got interested in politics exactly because of my love for statistics. Besides, not all social sciences are created equal. I'd rather smash my foot with a hammer than study human geography.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »

Why would it be?

I suppose technical training is necessary for those who must toil for their bread.

It's better than writing some bullsh**t essay on Faulkner.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »

Yeah, same here.  I loved algebra because it represented operations that actually happened, and it seemed logical to me.  Geometry was fine too.  Loved stats.  Precalc was pushing it, and by the time I got to calc, I decided that I didn't want to spend an hour a night trying to understand theory stuff that I didn't care about.

This is a key problem in math today. There is just as much application to the real world for calc as there is with alg. However, much of our curriculum seems to be designed to teach people how to be computers, rather than how to use and interpret computers. This changes the direction of the theory taught to the non-major. I'm hoping that as this century unfolds, we recognize this reality.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »

This is a key problem in math today. There is just as much application to the real world for calc as there is with alg. However, much of our curriculum seems to be designed to teach people how to be computers, rather than how to use and interpret computers. This changes the direction of the theory taught to the non-major. I'm hoping that as this century unfolds, we recognize this reality.
Precisely. It may be true that calculus has more uses in every day life than any other subject in the realm of math. It's just that these uses are far more obscure and underutilized.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 09:33:50 PM »

Precisely. It may be true that calculus has more uses in every day life than any other subject in the realm of math. It's just that these uses are far more obscure and underutilized.

Calculus is by far my favorite field of math precisely because it is so useful in real world applications. I never really appreciated math until I started studying physics. It's only natural then that I would want to show my appreciation for the area of math that was spawned to help solve the problems that Newton ran into in explaining physical phenomena.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

Who syas math and social sciences are opposed? [/econ major]

Who says they shouldn't be? Wink

I'm good at math, but I hate it.  It's nonsensical gobbledigook past geometry, pretty much, useless for anyone but engineers and other people who don't like to see a person ever.  that applies doubly for you calc worshippers.

(these statements do not include His Royal Holiness the Discipline of Statistics, o/c).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies