South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:32:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?  (Read 12378 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »

Sanford could easily endorse her, she seems his preferred candidate.  30something economically conservative Southern Indian-American?

http://www.thestate.com/154/story/786616.html

Lexington County Rep. Nikki Haley said Thursday she is launching a bid to become South Carolina’s first female governor.

Haley, 37, joins an already-crowded Republican primary field, but one still searching for a clear heir to the smaller government policies of Gov. Mark Sanford, who is ineligible to run again.

Haley, an accountant and mother of two, said she wants to make government more open and give residents a reason to feel more positive about it.

“I know what good government can look like,” Haley said. “I’m running for governor so the people of the state will know what it feels like.”

Haley is in her third term in the S.C. House, having unseated long-serving veteran Larry Koon in 2004. Haley has been a contrarian voice in the House, often standing against the GOP majority. She frequently has supported Sanford’s positions, but has also introduced her own issues.

Last fall, Haley called on the House to adopt rules requiring on-the-record voting, pushing through the change despite initial opposition from House leaders.

Haley declined Thursday to get into specifics about her position on a number of issues. But she said her campaign will focus on economic development, education, tax reform and limiting state spending.

MAKING A NAME

Haley is relatively unknown outside the Midlands and starts at a fundraising disadvantage.

The other announced GOP candidates are U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett of Westminster, state Sen. Larry Grooms of Berkeley County and Furman University political scientist Brent Nelsen of Greenville. Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer and Attorney General Henry McMaster also are weighing GOP bids.

McMaster and Barrett have reported $1 million each in their campaign accounts. Haley declined to say how much money donors have committed but said she has enough to “feel competitive.” She said she has yet to hire a consultant or a complete staff.

But Sanford could help change that. The Republican governor has said he plans to get involved in his successor’s election and has $1.7 million remaining in his campaign fund, which could be used on issue ads.

“It’s too early to endorse anyone,” Sanford said Thursday. “But I would say Nikki Haley would make a terrific and inspiring choice as governor, and she’s a great addition to the field of candidates.”

USC political scientist Blease Graham said Sanford’s nod likely would not carry a candidate to the GOP nomination. But Winthrop University political scientist Scott Huffmon said Haley may be able to embrace Sanford’s policies while rejecting his politics — which have led to a seven-year-long battle with the GOP-controlled Legislature.

Republicans “may see in her the things they liked in Mark Sanford without a lot of the baggage,” Huffmon said.

AN UNCONVENTIONAL CANDIDATE

To become governor, Haley will have to overcome questions about her Indian heritage and whether S.C. voters will accept a woman chief executive.

During her first State House run, anonymous ads in Lexington County questioned Haley’s faith. Haley was raised a Sikh but is now a Methodist.

Graham said S.C. voters have a long history of making religion an issue — from anti-Catholic attacks on late U.S. Sen. Jimmy Byrnes to anti-Mormon mailers when Mitt Romney was on the state’s 2008 S.C. presidential primary ballot.

“It will be a factor because this is South Carolina, the land of the lingering fog of Lee Atwater,” agreed Huffmon, referring to the late S.C. political consultant who raised issues of race and religion in campaigns.

Women also have not fared well in S.C. politics. The percentage of women in the S.C. Legislature is among the lowest in the nation.

But recent Republican politics, observers say, prove those issues may not be as important as they once were.

Louisiana elected Bobby Jindal, also the child of Indian immigrants, governor. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin drew raves from S.C. Republicans after she became a vice presidential candidate.

State Rep. Joan Brady, R-Richland, said GOP women sometimes lack the confidence to run and have more trouble raising money. She also said she has met women who say they will not vote for another woman. But Brady said Palin proved women will rally around the right candidate, one with a strong voice on women’s and family issues.

“They do bring something different” to a campaign, Brady said of female candidates.

Haley brushed those issues aside Thursday.

“South Carolina’s ready for me,” she said.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »

No it isn't.  Especially not the South Carolina GOP.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »

No it isn't.  Especially not the South Carolina GOP.

I wouldn't have guessed the LA GOP, after the David Duke incidents, would have nominated Jindal
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »

Irony, her wikipedia says she's won the:

"Strom Thurmond Excellence in Public Service and Government Award" - South Carolina federation of Republican Women

in 2006
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »

I'll be interested in hearing more from her. She represents a suburban county of the Columbia metro, so I have doubts about how she could carry the more conservative, rural vote here. She'd play well in the Charleston and Columbia areas, as her ethnicity is less of a factor than in other areas. I wouldn't count her out though. If Louisiana could vote in Jindal, I have no doubt South Carolina could.

I could very well support her. She's a fiscal conservative first and foremost rather than a religious nut like someone in the Jim DeMint mold. If Governor Sanford throws his weight behind her, she may be our next Governor assuming the Democrats don't put up a strong candidate.

I'm curious as to whether Democrat Robert Barber will run for Governor. I voted for him for Lt. Gov in 2006 and I really liked the guy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2009, 11:13:17 PM by Lunar »

As was pointed out in the article, her gender might be a bigger issue than her race in the Deep South, especially because "Nikki Haley" looks vaguely anglophone and her skin isn't too dark.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »

As was pointed out in the article, her gender might be a bigger issue than her race in the Deep South, especially because "Nikki Haley" looks vaguely anglophone and her skin isn't too dark.

It bothers the hell out of me when people lump South Carolina into the same "Deep South" contingency as Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Arkansas.

We'll see how she fares. I don't think she'll lose just because she's a woman. If Sanford endorses her and she loses, then I might retract that.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:31 AM »

I don't think being the same ethnicity makes her a clone.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:20 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2009, 03:25:23 AM by Lunar »

South Carolina isn't part of the Deep South?  Can you find me a definition of the Deep South that doesn't include it?   Louisiana has elected a female governor though.

I don't think she'll lose just because of that, but psychologically voters, especially in parts of the United States that have a very old male-dominated political culture, are more hesitant to elect women in executive positions.  I could be a bit biased [or informed?] because I just completed a 15 page (20 with bibliography haha) research paper into this last week.

Here are the states that have elected had female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

edit: Just checked, not a single female statewide office holder in South Carolina.  Obviously using this to measure bias depends on how many credible female challengers have been defeated.  But it's not the most welcoming environment.  But all she really needs to do is get past the GOP Primary, and money, Sanford's endorsement, and organizational skills will determine that a hell of a lot more than her gender will.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »

Didn't get past the first sentence of my topic post?  I think I listed at least four things she has in common with Jindal Smiley
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »

Here are the states that have elected female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

Massachusetts has never elected a female Governor.  Jane Swift was elected as Lt. Governor in 1998 on a ticket with Gov. Paul Cellucci.  Bush named Cellucci to be Ambassador to Canada and Swift became Governor.  She dropped out of the 2002 primary when Romney was creaming her in the polls.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »

"elected" was not the right word.  "had" I suppose is better
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »

Alabama doesn't really count
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 12:46:42 AM »

Mrs. Wallace demands you take that back.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »

South Carolina isn't part of the Deep South?  Can you find me a definition of the Deep South that doesn't include it?   Louisiana has elected a female governor though.

I don't think she'll lose just because of that, but psychologically voters, especially in parts of the United States that have a very old male-dominated political culture, are more hesitant to elect women in executive positions.  I could be a bit biased [or informed?] because I just completed a 15 page (20 with bibliography haha) research paper into this last week.

Here are the states that have elected had female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

edit: Just checked, not a single female statewide office holder in South Carolina.  Obviously using this to measure bias depends on how many credible female challengers have been defeated.  But it's not the most welcoming environment.  But all she really needs to do is get past the GOP Primary, and money, Sanford's endorsement, and organizational skills will determine that a hell of a lot more than her gender will.

South Carolina also has the lowest percentage of female state legislators in the country (10%), and its state Senate is the only legislative body in the country to have no women in it:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/wln/WomenInOffice2009.htm
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »

Didn't get past the first sentence of my topic post?  I think I listed at least four things she has in common with Jindal Smiley

I read it all. I guess you consider being Republican a similarity.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »

Southern
Indian-American
Young
Independent Economically Conservative Credentials
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »

Southern
Indian-American
Young
Independent Economically Conservative Credentials

There are a lot of young Southerners and a lot of economic conservatives.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »

There's a lot of 37 year old, less-than-partisan economically conservative, Southern gubernatorial candidates, where?  I don't see what your point is, even if you can name one, which I don't think you can.

Obviously another Indian-American elected governor in the Deep South would be particularly interesting. 
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »

She will either soar or sink based on her relationship with Sanford. She needs to split from him. My understanding is there are few figures in either party eager for four more years of Governor Sanford.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »

She will either soar or sink based on her relationship with Sanford. She needs to split from him. My understanding is there are few figures in either party eager for four more years of Governor Sanford.

True, the party establishment isn't always happy with Sanford's opposition to the partisan-friendly status quo.  What are Sanford's favorability numbers at the moment?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM by bgwah »

With an "American" sounding name and skin color that could pass for white, I doubt her ethnicity would be too much of an issue.

Now, if she were still known as Nimrata Randhawa, well, maybe it would be. Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »

With an "American" sounding name and skin color that could pass for white, I doubt her ethnicity would be too much of an issue.

Now, if she were still known as Nimrata Randhawa, well, maybe it would be. Tongue

^^^

Shades of Harold Ford
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »

^^^

Shades of Harold Ford

Not quite, considering his name reminds people that he's a member of a prominent black family.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_(surname)

Haley, Hailey Hayley or Halley is an English surname, derived from the Old English word hēġlēah, meaning "Stripper".

Wow, this last name seems to stretch across three ethnicities.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies