South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:46:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?  (Read 12335 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »

With an "American" sounding name and skin color that could pass for white, I doubt her ethnicity would be too much of an issue.

Now, if she were still known as Nimrata Randhawa, well, maybe it would be. Tongue

^^^

Shades of Harold Ford

Not quite, considering his name reminds people that he's a member of a prominent black family.

"Shades"
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_(surname)

Haley, Hailey Hayley or Halley is an English surname, derived from the Old English word hēġlēah, meaning "Stripper".

Wow, this last name seems to stretch across three ethnicities.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I just assumed she married a white guy with that name.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »

Oh, nevermind, you're right.  But there's another Indian up there!!!111
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »

Her husband looks Indian... am I just really bad at guessing people's race?

http://www.nikkihaley.com/about-nikki
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

people like Piyush Jindal and Nimrata Haley are the biggest traitors ever

his name is Michael Haley so probably not
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 12:57:40 AM »

Sanford has enough coattails that with the crowded GOP primary any candidate he backs is likely to make it to the inevitable runoff.  So far I've only been able to figure out who I'm opposing, but if Haley does make it to the runoff, I'll probably back her.

It would be interesting if my State Senator heads into the Democratic contest and he and Haley both won since then we'd know that Nikki would be our next governor, with the question being whether it would be Rep. Nikki Haley or Sen. Nikki Setzler.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »

people like Piyush Jindal and Nimrata Haley are the biggest traitors ever

his name is Michael Haley so probably not

Haha yeah they are traitors. The worst part is the change of religion, especially in the case of Piyushji. It's obviously for political reasons. With Nimrata it could have been after her marriage but I'm not sure.

And yeah Micheal Haley is white as would be expected. So Meeker you are pretty horrible at figuring out races. I could tell he wasn't Indian at first glance but then again I am one myself. Tongue
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2009, 09:57:47 PM by SamInTheSouth »

As was pointed out in the article, her gender might be a bigger issue than her race in the Deep South, especially because "Nikki Haley" looks vaguely anglophone and her skin isn't too dark.

Naturally, because we're all just a bunch of stupid uneducated rednecks walking around barefoot, pregnant and with 10 kids down here in South Carolina........
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »

Exactly!  That's the point I was trying to make. 

So, how's that feminist empowerment doing in South Carolina politics anyway?

I don't think she'll lose just because of that, but psychologically voters, especially in parts of the United States that have a very old male-dominated political culture, are more hesitant to elect women in executive positions.  I could be a bit biased [or informed?] because I just completed a 15 page (20 with bibliography haha) research paper into this last week.

Here are the states that have elected had female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

edit: Just checked, not a single female statewide office holder in South Carolina.  Obviously using this to measure bias depends on how many credible female challengers have been defeated.  But it's not the most welcoming environment.  But all she really needs to do is get past the GOP Primary, and money, Sanford's endorsement, and organizational skills will determine that a hell of a lot more than her gender will.

South Carolina also has the lowest percentage of female state legislators in the country (10%), and its state Senate is the only legislative body in the country to have no women in it:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/wln/WomenInOffice2009.htm
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »

So far I've only been able to figure out who I'm opposing, but if Haley does make it to the runoff, I'll probably back her.

I'm poised to do the same.  I was going to support Robert Ford in the Democrat Primary, but now that Haley is jumping in I'll vote for her in the GOP primary.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »

I don't think being the same ethnicity makes her a clone.

Didn't get past the first sentence of my topic post?  I think I listed at least four things she has in common with Jindal Smiley

I read it all. I guess you consider being Republican a similarity.

Southern
Indian-American
Young
Independent Economically Conservative Credentials

There are a lot of young Southerners and a lot of economic conservatives.

Yes, but less frequently in combination with being Indian-American.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

Louisiana has elected a female governor though.

Only because its voters had to choose between a woman and an Indian-American.

I don't think she'll lose just because of that, but psychologically voters, especially in parts of the United States that have a very old male-dominated political culture, are more hesitant to elect women in executive positions.  I could be a bit biased [or informed?] because I just completed a 15 page (20 with bibliography haha) research paper into this last week.

Here are the states that have elected had female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

While those maps don't prove that SC won't elect a woman governor, it supports the fact some cultures (usually rural, conservative and Southern, but it is interesting that Penn. is so low) are less comfortable with women leaders and such cultures even discourage women from running for any elected office.

Also, states having female Governors who succeeded their husbands (Wallace, and I think another in Texas early in the 20th century) is a special case and does not support whether such states are comfortable with women leaders.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

Of course those maps don't prove anything  besides the political culture.

Like I've said, to do a serious study about the biases of the population, you'd need to see how credible female candidates have faired relative the credible male candidates.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »

Of course those maps don't prove anything  besides the political culture.

Like I've said, to do a serious study about the biases of the population, you'd need to see how credible female candidates have faired relative the credible male candidates.

Even if a state has few female officers due to few credible female candidates, it still says something about the state's culture, since more patriarchal cultures are less likely to produce high numbers of credible female candidates.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »

Oh,  no doubt that South Carolina has a male-dominated [and owned] political culture.  I'm sure in order to rise through the ranks there that you have to be able to go to the bars after work far more than you even have to in DC, among other things. 

But for the purposes of this thread, I'm interested in finding out that difficulty Nikki will face based off of her gender, supposing Sanford enthusiastically endorses her [let's face it, she doesn't have a chance without that]

I'm just trying to point out the two competing variables here, in order to be fair: the amount of female candidates versus the electoral success of female candidates. 

Which female Republicans have succeeded in the deep South, especially executive positions, say, since suffrage was granted almost a hundred years ago?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »

I like her. She's pretty. That's important...Wink
We need more young faces in our party. It's annoying how so many old farts are running this country.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »

So far I've only been able to figure out who I'm opposing, but if Haley does make it to the runoff, I'll probably back her.

I'm poised to do the same.  I was going to support Robert Ford in the Democrat Primary, but now that Haley is jumping in I'll vote for her in the GOP primary.

Robert "video poker" Ford is another candidate on my list of candidates to oppose.  If Bauer and Ford win their respective nominations, I'm definitely voting third party for governor in 2010.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:21 AM »

I think were looking at the next South Carolina governor, friends. Possibly the first woman President of the Untied States, also.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 01:36:13 AM »

I think were looking at the next South Carolina governor, friends. Possibly the first woman President of the Untied States, also.

She is presidential material already?Huh What is it with random Indian Republicans and the presidency........
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »

I thought it was silly for people to say that about Kirsten Gillibrand, but now it sounds somewhat less so.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »

Almost certainly not the next South Carolina governor.  She simply does not have the party connections or experience to be able to win the nomination in 2010 unless the Republican primary electorate is in a throw the bums out mood, and I see no reason why it would be.  She wouldn't even have a chance to make the runoff if it weren't for Sanford's backing.  All that would be equally true if she were male.  Rep. Barrett, AG McMaster, or Lt. Gov. Bauer will almost certainly be the GOP nominee.

However, this race may well get her the foundation she would need to capture a State Senate seat in 2012.  A lot would depend on how the Senate gets redistricted.  It could even be a confusing race in Senate District 26 between the incumbent Nikki Setzler (D) and challenger Nikki Haley (R) if district 26 gets gerrymandered to the east.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

Well she's obviously more interesting than generic male WASP Republicans 1, 2, 3, and 4 so I'll root for her from afar.  Though it would be cool for SC to have its first woman as governor and Nikki appears as though she'd be a nice fresh face for the GOP, I don't see it happening.  Her candidacy speech is a little hard to get through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OOmNAEgZs

But still, Jindal/Haley 2016!!!  I like how that ticket plus their spouses would be Piyush, Supriya, Nimrata, and...Michael.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

Run away! Run away!

http://ballotbox.governing.com/2009/06/haley-erases-sanford.html
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States