South Carolina's Bobby Jindal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:17:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina's Bobby Jindal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?  (Read 12384 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »

I don't think being the same ethnicity makes her a clone.

Didn't get past the first sentence of my topic post?  I think I listed at least four things she has in common with Jindal Smiley

I read it all. I guess you consider being Republican a similarity.

Southern
Indian-American
Young
Independent Economically Conservative Credentials

There are a lot of young Southerners and a lot of economic conservatives.

Yes, but less frequently in combination with being Indian-American.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

Louisiana has elected a female governor though.

Only because its voters had to choose between a woman and an Indian-American.

I don't think she'll lose just because of that, but psychologically voters, especially in parts of the United States that have a very old male-dominated political culture, are more hesitant to elect women in executive positions.  I could be a bit biased [or informed?] because I just completed a 15 page (20 with bibliography haha) research paper into this last week.

Here are the states that have elected had female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

While those maps don't prove that SC won't elect a woman governor, it supports the fact some cultures (usually rural, conservative and Southern, but it is interesting that Penn. is so low) are less comfortable with women leaders and such cultures even discourage women from running for any elected office.

Also, states having female Governors who succeeded their husbands (Wallace, and I think another in Texas early in the 20th century) is a special case and does not support whether such states are comfortable with women leaders.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »

Of course those maps don't prove anything  besides the political culture.

Like I've said, to do a serious study about the biases of the population, you'd need to see how credible female candidates have faired relative the credible male candidates.

Even if a state has few female officers due to few credible female candidates, it still says something about the state's culture, since more patriarchal cultures are less likely to produce high numbers of credible female candidates.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies