South Carolina's Bobby Jindal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:47:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina's Bobby Jindal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina's Bobby Jindal?  (Read 12433 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« on: May 18, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »

South Carolina isn't part of the Deep South?  Can you find me a definition of the Deep South that doesn't include it?   Louisiana has elected a female governor though.

I don't think she'll lose just because of that, but psychologically voters, especially in parts of the United States that have a very old male-dominated political culture, are more hesitant to elect women in executive positions.  I could be a bit biased [or informed?] because I just completed a 15 page (20 with bibliography haha) research paper into this last week.

Here are the states that have elected had female governors.  Notice where the red and purple ones are (not anywhere near the South).  But hey, always easy to break these rules, especially with Sanford's backing.

edit: Just checked, not a single female statewide office holder in South Carolina.  Obviously using this to measure bias depends on how many credible female challengers have been defeated.  But it's not the most welcoming environment.  But all she really needs to do is get past the GOP Primary, and money, Sanford's endorsement, and organizational skills will determine that a hell of a lot more than her gender will.

South Carolina also has the lowest percentage of female state legislators in the country (10%), and its state Senate is the only legislative body in the country to have no women in it:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/wln/WomenInOffice2009.htm
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »

I think were looking at the next South Carolina governor, friends. Possibly the first woman President of the Untied States, also.

I thought it was silly for people to say that about Kirsten Gillibrand, but now it sounds somewhat less so.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »

Run away! Run away!

http://ballotbox.governing.com/2009/06/haley-erases-sanford.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies