California ballot measures - update
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:42:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California ballot measures - update
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: California ballot measures - update  (Read 4409 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 11:26:21 PM »

Hmm I wonder why socal likes to give their representatives pay raises even when they continually F up. Or perhaps they are voting no just for sh**ts and giggles since it has almost no impact on the budget. Anyways I would have voted no on all of them except F and B if I had cared enough to request an absentee ballot. I might have considered voting yes on A....probably wouldn't have though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »

Hmm I wonder why socal likes to give their representatives pay raises even when they continually F up. Or perhaps they are voting no just for sh**ts and giggles since it has almost no impact on the budget. Anyways I would have voted no on all of them except F and B if I had cared enough to request an absentee ballot. I might have considered voting yes on A....probably wouldn't have though.

I voted No just because I'm sick of special interests abusing citizen's initiatives in general that render our state completely ungovernable. I'm tired of all this crap that has nothing to do with why our state is the post-Iceberg Titanic. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 11:35:20 PM »

So when do the 40,000 prisoners get released?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »

They should have rather put prop 13, 98 and all those other "requirements" the public forces upon the state government on the ballot. Of course they would have all just passed again. Ugh.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 11:36:34 PM »

Ooh that should be fun.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »

Can we release them into Oregon and build a wall?

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:06 PM »

That looks like a large enough margin to tank the propositions. The margin however will shrink. On this issue, the absentees should be considerably more "conservative" than those ballots from those who hauled their butts to the voting booth to vote today.

Now we wait for close to 2 hours for some more votes.

The SF County numbers have taken a bit of a nosedive with later ballots.  So, I don't know whether your theory will hold up.

For example, 1A was at 52-48 passing with 30% in.  Now, with 75% in, it's 52-48 against.  In fact, in SF County, 1A-1C were all passing early, now it's only 1B.

Haven't taken a gander through other counties to see whether there's any material changes there either, although the overall numbers are still the same.

Anyway, it's merely window-dressing now.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 12:25:26 AM »

Why does OC have the highest No vote on 1F?   Reflexive no voting on all ballot initiatives?  Something in the water?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:16 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2009, 12:33:55 AM by Alcon »

Why does OC have the highest No vote on 1F?   Reflexive no voting on all ballot initiatives?  Something in the water?

That's a good question.  The OC is hardly known for reflexive voting on inoffensive measures.  That tends to be a trait of lower-income education levels, or areas in certain media markets.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 12:33:49 AM »

I doubt higher income demographics respond as well as lower income ones to populist items like capping legislature salaries etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 12:36:25 AM »

I doubt higher income demographics respond as well as lower income ones to populist items like capping legislature salaries etc.

Ah, forgot what 1F was about.  I also noticed it did clearly better in Northern California -- media coverage variance?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 12:37:43 AM »

Wow, these got spanked hard. 1F doesn't do much, and passed with 76% of the vote., carrying every county in the state. 1B (which doesn't do anything without 1A) passed in 3 bay area counties, failing everything else, and getting only 40%. Nothing else has either over 38.1% or a single county.

And I doubt I was the only person who wasn't too happy about the Props, but voted for most of them, anyways.

Ah, forgot what 1F was about.  I also noticed it did clearly better in Northern California -- media coverage variance?

No lawmaker raises when there's a deficit. The Republican party decided to oppose it so they would have the simple slogan of "no on everything", so that's why it did the best in the bay area.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »

I wonder how a Proposition that stated "the entire legislature and the governor are immediately fired" would have done.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 02:52:48 AM »

Another epic fail special election.

1F would save $500k a year if the state runs a deficit.
The special election cost the state somewhere in the ballpark of $50 million.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »

I wonder how a Proposition that stated "the entire legislature and the governor are immediately fired" would have done.

At this point it would probably pass with 80%.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »

With 100% in (presuming no lying-around absentees/provisionals or something)

1A:  34% Yes, 66% No
1B:  37% Yes, 63% No
1C:  35% Yes, 65% No
1D:  34% Yes, 66% No
1E:  34% Yes, 66% No
1F:  74% Yes, 26% No

So, it looks like my observation last night came true.  Later votes (presuming same-day votes were counted last) were more strongly against the measures (save 1F) than early votes.  Interesting...

Anyway, this can be observed to be a clear No, for all intents and purposes.  Pretty ugly too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2009, 10:40:54 AM by Torie »

That looks like a large enough margin to tank the propositions. The margin however will shrink. On this issue, the absentees should be considerably more "conservative" than those ballots from those who hauled their butts to the voting booth to vote today.

Now we wait for close to 2 hours for some more votes.

Well I was as wrong as rain on the above. Smiley  One lame excuse, is that I didn't know that public employee unions were in opposition. Who knew?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »

What are the chances that 'the taxinator' and his co-conspirators in the state legislature will attempt to punish the people of California with more taxes?

From what I have seen, they don't understand the meaning of "NO"!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »

Nice to see my description of Speaker Pelosi is gaining more widespread usage.

Thanks Michael!

http://townhall.com/columnists/MichaelReagan/2009/05/20/terminating_the_terminator
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies