Places you want to visit/have visited solely for political/demographic reasons (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:20:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Places you want to visit/have visited solely for political/demographic reasons (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Places you want to visit/have visited solely for political/demographic reasons  (Read 853 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:43 AM »

Want to visit:

Jackson County, KY
Elliott County, KY
Prinsburg, MN
Sioux County, IA
Some mining towns in northern Minnesota

I actually almost did the last one a few months ago, I got all planned and everything, went to a gas station in Spring Lake Park in that southern panhandle of Anoka County, and bought a map and car wash. The car wash was what thwarted me, by the time I got to Mounds View in northern Ramsey County my car shorted out and died. I had to get it towed to Columbia Heights, and learned one of the charger deals had a short and the car wash killed it. As it is that was probably a good thing as it rained the next day and it would've died anyway. Also good I got my car wash there and not in Duluth or some small town along the way.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to that trip since then.

Have visited:

Some exurbs like Nowthen, Corcoran, Hassan Township, etc.
Wanted to see what exactly this territory looked like as I read about all the time. Turned out to appear to be mostly rural scenery-wise. Just with large lumps of housing developments. No real business or industry interestingly, except for farming equipment stores. Everyone's a farmer or commuter.
Another reason: Many of these places have small unincorporated towns within them that I wanted to check out. Not much to say though.

Skyline, Minnesota
This place is sort of an urban legend in Mankato. Very few people are aware it exists, even people I met who had grown up in Mankato. It's a strange place in its existance yes, no businesses whatsoever, not even a gas station, just lots of suburban housing. There's a sign upon your entry, one road in, one road out. Don't know why it's indepenent, but it's there.

Some other areas around Mankato.
One was Lime township, which I initially was led to believe was a trailer park, later learned Mankato's odd borders included the park, Lime is mostly suburban development. The unincorporated town of Lehillier was another. A third was a strange place that's on Google Maps, Benning, yet nothing's there except industry.

Maplewood, Minnesota
A strange town in southern Minnesota which votes quite Democratic, even for the generally DFL area. Even stranger is that it's basically a "suburb" of a larger town nearby, Austin, which is Democratic but not to that extreme. It's indistinguishable than Austin's neighborhoods though, and the only business is a liquor store. The source of its partisanship remains a mystery.

Some weird places in North Dakota, including some ghost towns
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »

Voted over 91% for McCain, over 62% for Collin Peterson's joke opponent, over 85% for the LOSING Republican candidate for State House, and over 57% for fundie extremist State Supreme Court candidate Tim Tingelstad while failing to break 40% statewide.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »

Wouldn't mind checking out a reservation. Never met a "real" Indian before, other than random people remarking that they are some tiny fraction Cherokee or whatever.

Having actually lived on one, I remember when I was young I thought it was unusual when visiting other cities (Bismarck, ND was the "big city" to me) to not see graffiti everywhere and how there was no trash on the streets. I remember going to a mall in Bismarck with my mom when I was in kindergarten and thought it was the most amazing thing ever, not only was there tons of things to buy and do, but everything was actually clean.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »

Actually I think it did the opposite. It conditioned me in favor of finding run down places to be normal.

Also please note at the time I defined a "big city" as anywhere with a traffic light. Living in a place that gives you such an impression also conditions you to wanting to live in a large city.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies