Would you spend significant time/move overseas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:06:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you spend significant time/move overseas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Would you spend significant time/move overseas?  (Read 2951 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »

I would really like to live overseas when I get out of college. The United States just is not what I want out of a place to live. It's too often cold and overcast. The people are largely unappreciative and rarely have perspective. It's extremely expensive in the places that are desirable to live. The income distribution is very inequal. Too many people are obnoxiously religious. Etc. I haven't come near to deciding where I'd like to move too, and it would be a difficult decision to leave family and friends to move somewhere brand new.

Look at it this way, if you go and don't like it, you can move home. If you don't go, you'll never know.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »

I honestly partly worry that I'll go over there are continue to like it...and want to stay...
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »

I'd love to spend a few weeks exploring northern Africa, and heading east and traveling through the middle east. Eastern Europe, also.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 10:40:31 PM »

I honestly partly worry that I'll go over there are continue to like it...and want to stay...

Then you find a way to make it work and stay and you're happy. I mean, you'll reach the end of your stay and hopefully evaluate whether staying makes sense regarding your career, family, friends, happiness, etc., and figure it out.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:18 PM »

Then you find a way to make it work and stay and you're happy. I mean, you'll reach the end of your stay and hopefully evaluate whether staying makes sense regarding your career, family, friends, happiness, etc., and figure it out.

Yeah, I guess. It's just the thought of leaving stuff behind here. Then again, my desire to get away is because I want more so I'm really not leaving that much behind.

It's very complicated.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »

Go live abroad.  If you love it enough, you'll find a way to make it work.  If it isn't everything you thought it would be, come home.  Don't feel bound to stay in either place.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »

I don't feel bound but we have to be a little realistic here. It's not as easy as just picking up and coming home just as it isn't easy to just go and live there. I need to work things out with a job and residency. There's also the language issue (which I'll obviously solve anyway but it still should be mentioned).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 11:33:41 PM »

My next trip is Chile as far north along the Pacific coast as I can go. I'm hoping Alaska, but thinking Panama is more likely. Ideally i'd do it by hopping jobs - teach english in santiago, tour guide in cuzco, volunteer in ecuador - but I don't know how practical that would be because of visas.

I also want to lose some of this flab and do thye cross-country Sri Lasnkan trek, from Colombo to the east coast. Apparently it is the most beautiful two weeks you'll ever experience, but it'd only be two weeks. I'm not sure why but the idea of spending any significant time in Aisa doesn't appeal to me at all. I know plenty of people who have, including my Dad who spent almost a year in India, but I just don't get the 'Asia' vibe. Africa would be interesting, as long as I was living like a colonialist. But yeah, Latin America is where its at for me.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »

Of course.. I already am. I moved here seven months ago to stay permanently. It's a little different though, I moved to get married and live with my wife. That's different that already having an American family (besides parents/siblings/etc) and moving or studying abroad. I miss a lot of my friends and family back in the States but we still manage to keep in touch and hopefully I'll earn enough money to fly back and stay for a month or so every few years. You do feel out of the loop, though - it's even more difficult to stay informed on news and stuff back in the States. But you enter a whole new circle with different issues and people as well so it can be refreshing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 01:20:08 AM »

Of course.. I already am. I moved here seven months ago to stay permanently. It's a little different though, I moved to get married and live with my wife. That's different that already having an American family (besides parents/siblings/etc) and moving or studying abroad. I miss a lot of my friends and family back in the States but we still manage to keep in touch and hopefully I'll earn enough money to fly back and stay for a month or so every few years. You do feel out of the loop, though - it's even more difficult to stay informed on news and stuff back in the States. But you enter a whole new circle with different issues and people as well so it can be refreshing.

Your story would be romantic, if it didn't end in Cranbourne Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »

You do feel out of the loop, though - it's even more difficult to stay informed on news and stuff back in the States. But you enter a whole new circle with different issues and people as well so it can be refreshing.

Actually, I'd kind of like that. I wouldn't want to constantly here about what's going on back home in the country that basically runs everything. That has gotten boring. Plus, I wouldn't even want to follow the non-boring stuff. Some this stuff has just gotten too stressful/overwhelming. I don't want to have to worry about it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »

I could be in Spain or Germany! would be great.. especially Spain.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »

I've been debating teaching English in some Asian country.  You know, engulf myself in a foreign culture, learn its ins and outs, and hopefully find some semblance of inner peace.  I agree with Phil that being out of the loop is cool.  During my study abroad in Passau, it was great to escape the news...until some student would bring up politics and ruin the pub crawl.  But I digress.

In general, living in Germany or the UK would be cool, too.  I suppose if my friend ever opens the Bed and Breakfast she's always babbling on about, I could live with her in Ireland.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 08:06:29 PM »

While I'd love and plan to visit many different countries I have no desire to actually live there. All my family is here in Wisconsin and that's where I plan to live, at least for now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies