Expanding Nuclear Energy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:32:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Expanding Nuclear Energy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support expanding nuclear energy to meet CO2 emissions reductions?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Expanding Nuclear Energy  (Read 6957 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 21, 2009, 08:53:26 AM »

I know we had an earlier poll on this topic, but this time I want to break it down by party.

You already know what I think.....
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »

And by 'expanding nuclear energy', I mean by building new power plants (preferably by displacing existing coal plants in certain regions of the country, like the South and the Midwest) and retrofitting existing ones.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »

This is great.  Last time we did this a few on the left were still anti-nuke power (if I remember correctly).  Either ignorance has been fought and defeated or the ignorant are afraid to post in this thread (or I'm remembering wrong).

If only this same level of support was apparent among Congressional Democrats.... Tongue

When last I heard, they had successfully fought off attempts by Republicans (and a few sympathetic Democrats) to include nuclear energy in the climage change bill currently crawling its way through the House. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »

I wonder what likelihood there is of a significant expansion of nuclear power in the final energy bill, along the lines of what Sen. Lamar Alexander (R -TN) is proposing:
----------------------------------------------------------------

Key senator calls for 100 new reactors in 20 years

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD – 3 days ago

OAK RIDGE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander called Wednesday for doubling the number of nuclear reactors nationwide, a potentially $700 billion proposal that calls for building 100 more over 20 years.

"It is an aggressive goal, but with presidential leadership it could happen," the third-ranking Senate Republican told an economic and technology conference at the Y-12 nuclear weapons plant in Oak Ridge.

"I am convinced it should happen because conservation and nuclear power are the only real alternatives we have today to produce enough low-cost, reliable, clean energy to clean the air, deal with climate change and keep good jobs from going overseas."

Alexander said he would deliver that message next week speaking on the floor of the Senate, where he said all 40 Republicans and many Democrats support nuclear energy. He said he hopes President Barack Obama's administration would embrace his call under efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Obama's administration is considering a cap-and-trade program designed to reduce greenhouse gases and to require larger quantities of carbon-free energy production.

The country's 104 commercial nuclear reactors produce 20 percent of the nation's electricity, while most of its energy comes from carbon-producing coal. The last reactor to come online was the Tennessee Valley Authority's Watts Bar Unit 1 reactor in Spring City, Tenn., in 1996.

Steve Smith, director of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, called Alexander's proposal "reckless."

"Nuclear power is a problem, not a solution," Smith said. "New nuclear reactors are expensive, create significant water use and thermal pollution risks to our communities and produce radioactive waste that after 50 years we still have no long-term solution for."

Smith urged conservation and efficiency improvements instead, but Alexander said they would not be enough to blunt growing energy demand.

Alexander said he also backs renewable energy sources, notably solar power and biomass fuels, yet called those still too expensive and inefficient.

"Today there is a huge energy gap between the renewable electricity we would like to have and the reliable, low-cost electricity we must have," he said.

The Tennessee Valley Authority is spending $2.5 billion to complete a second reactor in Spring City by 2013. Meanwhile, there are 17 proposals for 26 new reactors pending before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Knoxville-based TVA has two reactors among the proposed projects and is considering completing two others in north Alabama.

Alexander said he would increase federal loan guarantees now being offered for the first four reactors to as many as 12 to "jump start" the nuclear revival.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies