Expanding Nuclear Energy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:32:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Expanding Nuclear Energy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support expanding nuclear energy to meet CO2 emissions reductions?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Expanding Nuclear Energy  (Read 6940 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: May 21, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »

Frodo,

Your "question" includes two disparate elements.

I favor building more nuclear powerplant to meet our need for electricity.

I would like those who profess as concern for Carbon Dioxide emissions to themselves set an example, and stop emitting Carbon Dioxide. 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »

Random Fact:

France is the only non-major-petroleum producing country in the world that is a net energy exporter.  The sole reason being their reliance on nuclear power, which produces enough extra energy to sell to Germany, Belgium, etc.

I wonder if the fact that we yet didn't have a significant problem with our big number of nuclear installations would have to see with the fact that this is in the hands of a monopolistic public company, so a one which don't have to care (or less have to care) about profitability, I sincerely wonder...

Well, outside of the safety question, which is a serious question, as far as I know nuclear energy is reliant on some raw materials which are in pretty limited quantity on the planet. So if everybody goes nuclear, it won't last a lot of time...

Personally, I strongly root for nuclear fusion, a technology still in development, but if ever it worked, the perspectives of development could be huge to say the the least...

That said, I also strongly support the renewable energies, and especially sun, the future of this one could be good too...

Fusion continues to be some decades off. It's theoretical promise is belied by real and difficult challenges to make it work on a commercial scale. However, there are other materials, particularly thorium, that may be developed into future nuclear fuels.

Actually, somewhat more promising in research into cost effective superconductors.

Its amazing that very few people are aware of how much electricity is lost in transmission.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies