Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 01:02:25 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  2012 Republican Rundown: The Final Four
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: For each of the two matchups: which candidate has the greater chance of being the Republican nominee in 2012?
[A] Gov. Sarah Palin (AK) [1]   -24 (21.6%)
[A] Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN) [4]   -20 (18%)
Gov. Mitt Romney (MA) [2]   -48 (43.2%)
Gov. Mike Huckabee (AR) [3]   -19 (17.1%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: 2012 Republican Rundown: The Final Four  (Read 2322 times)
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:00:25 pm »
Ignore

This last round of voting was unfortunately made rather boring by the recent news regarding Governors Crist & Huntsman, all but ruling them out of the 2012 lineup.  Even despite this, the two of them still made it pretty close to entering the Final Four---not good news for Huck & Pawlenty.

The results:

Gov. Sarah Palin (77%) def. Gov. Bobby Jindal (23%)

Gov. Mitt Romney (87%) def. Gov. Mark Sanford (13%)

Gov. Mike Huckabee (59%) def. Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr. (41%)

Gov. Tim Pawlenty (57%) def. Gov. Charlie Crist (43%)

So, we're down to the Final Four.  Please cast two votes, one in each of the lettered races, voting for the candidate you think most likely to win the nomination, not the one you personally prefer.

This week's matchups:

A: Gov. Sarah Palin (AK) v. Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN)

B: Gov. Mitt Romney (MA) v. Gov. Mike Huckabee (AR)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:02:30 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty and Huckabee.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
big bad fab
filliatre
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 4.87

P

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:21 pm »
Ignore

I'd like a T-Paw Mitt final.

But the reality would be: Palin (sigh) and Romney.

Enjoy the French elections !
Enjoy polling analysis !
Enjoy my tracker !

http://sondages2012.wordpress.com/
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:48:50 pm »
Ignore

Sarah Palin (Sad)
Mitt Romney (Smiley)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:42 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty & Romney.

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:20 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty has no mojo and is going to have a hard time winning reelection should even choose to do so.

this is real
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »

Pawlenty has no mojo and is going to have a hard time winning reelection should even choose to do so.

He's not going to run for reelection if he runs for prez.  At least, I don't think he will.  There would be little point in doing so.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »
Ignore

Oh I know, but my point was that he's not sitting pretty

this is real
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:48:49 pm »
Ignore

He's not going to run for reelection if he runs for prez.  At least, I don't think he will.  There would be little point in doing so.

Exactly, Pawlenty runs in 2012, or for reelection in 2010. But I just cannot see both.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.26, S: -7.39

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:58:02 pm »
Ignore

I voted Pawlenty and Romney, though it all depends on the direction the party chooses to take in the next 3 1/2 years. If they trend libertarian, I'll be right, if they trend populist, I'll be wrong.

LOL, Failure

Alright, if Republicans gain less than 75 seats, I'll prominently display my failure in my signature.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:34:26 am »
Ignore

Palin and Romney
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 02:50:12 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty and Romney.
Daniel Z
YaBB God
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 06:02:20 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty and Romney

Praying for a good economy
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 12:33:33 pm »
Ignore

Palin and Romney.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
BeccaM
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »
Ignore

Palin and Romney in terms of who has the greatest chance of leading the ticket.

T Paw probably has the best chance at being chosen as a running mate among the four, though that's probably not all that likely either.

GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:49 am »
Ignore

Palin and Romney in terms of who has the greatest chance of leading the ticket.

T Paw probably has the best chance at being chosen as a running mate among the four, though that's probably not all that likely either.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's very likely that Romney will be chosen as the Republican candidate in 2012.

Citizen James
James42
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 02:33:12 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty and Romney

We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »
Ignore

If the economy is on its way to recovery come 2012, Romney loses some of his main sell, even among Republicans, and he'd have a tougher primary than he would today.  Of course in those circumstances, Obama would probably have high approval and scare off quite a few Republican candidates from running at all.  If Obama is popular, the social conservatives and tea bag set are probably best positioned to set themselves up as ideologically against him which could bode well for Mark Sanford who has the built-in advantage of an early South Carolina primary.

In short, the GOP primaries could decide who gets to be the Landon/Goldwater/McGovern/Mondale of 2012 if most things go right for Obama -- no foreign-policy blowups, no personal scandal, and some well-received reforms of the economic and political systems. 

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
MasterJedi
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: 6.43

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 07:07:53 pm »
Ignore

It'll be between Romney and Huckabee.

Citizen James
James42
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 11:04:36 pm »
Ignore

In short, the GOP primaries could decide who gets to be the Landon/Goldwater/McGovern/Mondale of 2012 if most things go right for Obama -- no foreign-policy blowups, no personal scandal, and some well-received reforms of the economic and political systems. 

I still remember quite clearly back in 1992 a SNL skit parodying the Democratic primaries - who gets to be the guy to lose to George H.W. Bush in the fall?  IN the skit, everyone was contending to not be the nominee.

Things change, and it is unwise to count your chickens too early...

We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 06:38:32 pm »
Ignore

I still remember quite clearly back in 1992 a SNL skit parodying the Democratic primaries - who gets to be the guy to lose to George H.W. Bush in the fall?  IN the skit, everyone was contending to not be the nominee.

SNL also did similar sketch after the democratic debate in October 07 where all the candidates are all planning to use attacks on Hillary because they know she'll win either way. (Or something to that effect anyway)

Coburn In 2012
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 09:38:21 am »
Ignore

It'll be between Romney and Huckabee.

If the Republican Party continues to ignore its conservative base, then the Party is headed to oblivion.

Jerome Corsi
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 12:41:11 pm »
Ignore

This seems so obvious that it can't be original: there is no "typical Presidential election" in American history. Every one of them is different (except arguably 1952 and 1956). Every President is different, and the conditions under which every President wins is different.

I can't predict that there won't be a strong third-Party challenge in 2012-- yet.

A nasty situation is underway in North Korea. Who knows what resolution that will have? I can imagine the optimum (China, Russia, Japan, the US and the Republic of Korea are able to establish a definitive solution to the Korean Conflict which has never had any resolution beyond a cease-fire). All reasonably-wholesome endings to this mess involve Kim Jong-il either dead or in a mental institution.

I have more confidence in Obama than I could have had with Dubya.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 06:38:09 am »
Ignore

This seems so obvious that it can't be original: there is no "typical Presidential election" in American history. Every one of them is different (except arguably 1952 and 1956). Every President is different, and the conditions under which every President wins is different.

I can't predict that there won't be a strong third-Party challenge in 2012-- yet.

Funny enough, 2008 was the year that history dictates that a third party challenger would have emerged.

The two parties nominated the least obviously partisan, most electable candidates possible, squeezing out Bloomberg or anyone else's chances.

Edwards vs. Huckabee or Romney would have seen a Bloomberg candidacy, not sure about the other match-ups.

this is real
MagneticFree
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 09:28:12 am »
Ignore

I'd go with Romney. I voted for him in the primary caucasus in Feb '08 when I was former Republican, and I will vote for him if he runs.

Paul/Cruz 2016!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout