Nuclear Power Advancement Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:18:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nuclear Power Advancement Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nuclear Power Advancement Bill (Law'd)  (Read 3061 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:37:44 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2009, 11:39:48 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Nuclear Power Advancement Bill

Section 1: Atlasia recognizes that necessary steps need to be taken to reduce our energy dependence and protect the environment, and that nuclear energy helps us to accomplish both goals.

Section 2: The federal government of Atlasia will subsidize the construction of nuclear power plants if energy providers replace existing coal, oil or natural gas power plants with equal capacity by the time new nuclear plants go into service.

Section 3: The Atlasian government will fund 20% of the construction of any nuclear power plants built under the conditions of this program, and will grant a commercial tax reduction totalling 25% per annum for 10 years to the applicable energy provider.

Section 4: This program will cost a maximum of $60 billion in direct subsidies (excluding potential losses due to tax cuts). Tax breaks will still be awarded after this point is reached, but no further direct subsidies will be given.

Spon: Sen. Franzl
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »

I don't like section 2.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »

The subsidies....or the fact that they're based on replacing existing power plants....is the problem?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »

The subsidies....or the fact that they're based on replacing existing power plants....is the problem?

I don't like subsidies in general. They, in my view, undermine free market competition. I guess it's tolerable in this instance since only the construction of the plants will be subsidized, though.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »

I cannot vote for this bill without a provision ensuring the safe and speedy disposal or storage of all nuclear wastes away from areas of population.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »

I cannot vote for this bill without a provision ensuring the safe and speedy disposal or storage of all nuclear wastes away from areas of population.

I completely agree with this statement.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »

That's an acceptable and understandable demand. I wouldn't mind adding such a provision myself....but perhaps PS or Happy would like to offer an amendment that suits their wishes?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »

That's an acceptable and understandable demand. I wouldn't mind adding such a provision myself....but perhaps PS or Happy would like to offer an amendment that suits their wishes?

Ah, passing the buck? Wink

I'll try to work up something tonight. HW can feel free to start something and I can add on later, as well.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2009, 10:25:51 AM by Senator Purple State »

Friendly Amendment:

5. Subsidies and grants for the construction of nuclear facilities shall be withheld until such a time as plans are provided by the contracted company for the removal or safe storage of all nuclear wastes from the proposed facility deemed harmful to the public. Said disposal methods must be approved by the EPA. Wastes may not be stored within 25 miles of any Atlasian town of a population greater than 500 persons and may not be within 25 miles of the residence of 1,000 persons.

EDIT: Added the words "from that facility"
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »

That's fine, I accept.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »

[From the gallery]

Will there be an amendment regarding the reprocessing of spent nuclear waste?  If we want to minimize the amount of nuclear waste that will be stored, this is the best way by which to do it. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »

There should be more specification with regards the site-ing of such plants. It may be easy to wind down a coal fired plant in a rustbelt coalseam but you can't simply replace it with a nuclear plant on the footprint left. Every power plant is site specific. It could in the short term be detrimental to our energy needs, though I'm now sure how that could be avoided.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

I hereby open up a final vote on the bill below. Pleae vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Section 1: Atlasia recognizes that necessary steps need to be taken to reduce our energy dependence and protect the environment, and that nuclear energy helps us to accomplish both goals.

Section 2: The federal government of Atlasia will subsidize the construction of nuclear power plants if energy providers replace existing coal, oil or natural gas power plants with equal capacity by the time new nuclear plants go into service.

Section 3: The Atlasian government will fund 20% of the construction of any nuclear power plants built under the conditions of this program, and will grant a commercial tax reduction totalling 25% per annum for 10 years to the applicable energy provider.

Section 4: This program will cost a maximum of $60 billion in direct subsidies (excluding potential losses due to tax cuts). Tax breaks will still be awarded after this point is reached, but no further direct subsidies will be given.

5. Subsidies and grants for the construction of nuclear facilities shall be withheld until such a time as plans are provided by the contracted company for the removal or safe storage of all nuclear wastes from the proposed facility deemed harmful to the public. Said disposal methods must be approved by the EPA. Wastes may not be stored within 25 miles of any Atlasian town of a population greater than 500 persons and may not be within 25 miles of the residence of 1,000 persons.

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »

Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »

Yeah, I'm sorry, I wanted to write an amendment myself to address what Frodo and Afleitch said.

I ask that people still vote AYE on this....I promise to write a new bill soon that will address these concerns.

I should have mentioned that I wanted to add something....

AYE
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »

Aye
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »

Aye - but Afleitch's future Bill will also need to patch up the "25 miles of any town with 500 people and 25 miles of any town with 1000 people" since it's somewhat redundant.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

AYE

This is based solely on Franzl's promise on a future bill to address concerns I myself hold.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 11:50:35 PM »

Aye, I guess, ftr.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 02:17:31 AM »

abstain
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

With 8 Ayes, 0 Nays and 1 Abstention this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signature.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 11:37:22 PM »

X President Bgwah
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States