Why a GM Bankruptcy Would Be a Disaster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:34:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Why a GM Bankruptcy Would Be a Disaster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why a GM Bankruptcy Would Be a Disaster  (Read 5120 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 02:20:31 PM »

Agreed. Unions are responsible for the weekend, safety and labor standards, greater benefits and wages (even for non-unionized workers, as the threat of a union forming helps keep pay higher in all professions) and overall greater standard of living for us all. They deserve our thanks.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Agreed. Unions are responsible for the weekend, safety and labor standards, greater benefits and wages (even for non-unionized workers, as the threat of a union forming helps keep pay higher in all professions) and overall greater standard of living for us all. They deserve our thanks.

Well said.  But no.. a mythical creature called 'the Market' demands otherwise.  heheh.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »

The UAW isn't at fault for this, it was incompetent managing and an inability to adapt to the changing times. At their base wages, UAW workers don't get paid a great deal more than non-unionized manufacturing plants. If you want to blame anyone, blame ballooning healthcare costs to start with.

(Also they've agreed to a number of cuts as of late.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »

The UAW isn't at fault for this, it was incompetent managing and an inability to adapt to the changing times. At their base wages, UAW workers don't get paid a great deal more than non-unionized manufacturing plants. If you want to blame anyone, blame ballooning healthcare costs to start with.

(Also they've agreed to a number of cuts as of late.)

Keep in mind that autoworkers wages are only in the $30-35/hour range.  In what world is that a lot of money?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 04:31:15 PM »

$30-35/hour range.  In what world is that a lot of money?

How hard do you laugh when you post that drivel?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »

$30-35/hour range.  In what world is that a lot of money?

How hard do you laugh when you post that drivel?

What do you mean?  Is the figure inaccurate?  I have to admit it was just a guess, but I think its roughly correct.

That's only maybe $60-70,000/year before taxes at best.. what do you think it costs to support a family?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »

Well said.  But no.. a mythical creature called 'the Market' demands otherwise.  heheh.

I second that.  It seems conservatives look at only microeconomic "supply and demand" and base all their simplistic anti-worker dribble on that.  My father told me this would happen back in the 1980s when he was actually a Democrat and everyone seemed to be supporting Reagan.  Now young professionals coming out of college are laden with debt and companies either don't want to pay them sh**t or they get let go with relative ease compared to the 1960s and 70s.  We need a massive pro-labor legislative overhaul and quick 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »

I second that.  It seems conservatives look at only microeconomic "supply and demand" and base all their simplistic anti-worker dribble on that.  My father told me this would happen back in the 1980s when he was actually a Democrat and everyone seemed to be supporting Reagan.  Now young professionals coming out of college are laden with debt and companies either don't want to pay them sh**t or they get let go with relative ease compared to the 1960s and 70s.  We need a massive pro-labor legislative overhaul and quick 

Yes, this is the way things are - made so by political actions.  My point about 'the market' is that it is nothing but a cover story for political choices - application of political power - by the owners.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »

Yes, this is the way things are - made so by political actions.  My point about 'the market' is that it is nothing but a cover story for political choices - application of political power - by the owners.

I definitely think political power controls a significant portion of the GDP and who gets what.  Since 1980, it's all about those who are already in power.  And I'm not letting Clinton off too easy either.  Sure there are market controls, but a lot of it is controlled by the government and lobbyists and with the latter, the tax code has shifted in favor of the wealthy with only some relief with Bush I and Clinton and labor has been decimated with unions almost having to jump into bed with the powerful just to keep existence.  Locally, the trade unions seem to be the last vestige of the middle class.  I've thought to myself an awful lot how I probably should have did that after HS, stayed in shape, and made a decent living by now.  But I would have also thought, sh**t what if unions lose power and get people to do blue collar jobs paying $30+/hr. for $8-10?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies