Falwell's Liberty University bans college Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:07:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Falwell's Liberty University bans college Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Falwell's Liberty University bans college Democrats  (Read 4244 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/22/liberty-university-bans-college-dems/

I have to wonder what the response would be if a university were to ban college Republicans, stating it didn't agree with its platform.

I say... get as political as you want, Liberty... but don't cry "VICTIM" when the IRS comes knocking on your door. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »

The media would crucify a school if it tried to ban the College Republicans, but of course it doesn't care when this happens...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »

Bad deal there.  I'm not suprised, really.  I have lost great respect for the late Jerry Falwell and his Liberty University.  Even if I were still a hardcore Republican, I would never ban college democrats.  This is a free country that allows dissenting and differing views, and every institution must uphold that sentiment and cherished value of this great country.  For Liberty to do this, they are doing the same as burning the US Constitution and is really trying to pick and choose what parts of the Bible and what parts of the Constitution they want to believe.  I had one friend attend Liberty University as a seminary student.  He is also a very conservative Republican.  Nothing against him, but I just cannot condone such actions by any institution.  The Church is, in its purest form, apolitical.  Universities should be the same, especially when they are teaching our young men and women.  I would say the same thing if a University or any institution bans Republicans.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »

The media would crucify a school if it tried to ban the College Republicans, but of course it doesn't care when this happens...

Que? It's on Google News right now under the U.S. news section. Besides, a hefty chunk of the media is more friendly to the left than to the right.

Still, it's a private university so they can do what they want, though I could see them losing their non-profit tax status for this seeing as this can be seen as a highly politically motivated move.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »

The U.S. Constitution does not require private institutions to be viewpoint-neutral.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »

Que? It's on Google News right now under the U.S. news section. Besides, a hefty chunk of the media is more friendly to the left than to the right.

Still, it's a private university so they can do what they want, though I could see them losing their non-profit tax status for this seeing as this can be seen as a highly politically motivated move.

If they don't lose their tax-exempt status for this, I might actually be tempted to protest. Religious tax exemption is one of the few things that really gets me angry.

Not that anyone cares, but at least I'd get to vent. That's what protesting is really about, anyway.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »

Sad. Paranoia about individual conscience and expression, is quite a dead weight to carry around in life. As I age away, one thing I have learned, is the joy (and that is what it is really), of just chilling out, and live and let live. What folks believe cannot really hurt you even if you think it is nutter, and is often quite interesting. It is so simple really, but yes, takes time and some perspective to get there I admit. But in this case, the paranoids are probably my age. So what is their excuse, I wonder?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:26:10 PM »

a terrible stance by a totally worthless "university" but with in their right. though i wont shed a tear if they lose tax exempt status.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »

This isn't as bad as banning military recruiters is it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »

Have either of the individuals begun an appeal against this decision?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »

This isn't as bad as banning military recruiters is it?

I think both are equally as stupid.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:31 AM »

Private university.  I really don't care - I'm never going to go there.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 01:49:05 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2009, 01:50:58 AM by ICE HOCKEY »

Hope they deal with the IRS.

If I were a university president, I wouldn't care if they wanted to have a College Facist Party.  I wouldn't condone it, but so long as no harm's done, no one should care.  I would be outraged if Temple banned the College Republicans.  This is suppresson of democracy by Jerry Falwell at its worst.  He might as well have a College Religious Facist party.  I'm sure he wouldn't bitch about that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »

a terrible stance by a totally worthless "university" but with in their right. though i wont shed a tear if they lose tax exempt status.

It's actually a pretty good university. You just hate it because "OMG THEY BELIEVE IN GOD!".
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »

It's actually a pretty good university. You just hate it because "OMG THEY BELIEVE IN GOD!".
LOL seriously? you think i hate people who believe in god? a little news for you im a christian i just don't like liberty university types.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »

Why would Democrats attend this school?  It sounds weirder than States going to Florida A&M.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »

Has anyone else ever found the name of this university to be quite Orwellian?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »

Why would Democrats attend this school?  It sounds weirder than States going to Florida A&M.

I bet FAMU is a school of Conservative thought? But that's ok right? Because they're majority black...lets hear a lame excuse Lunar.

And actually FAMU has been involved in so much athletic scandal they'd be a horrible example to use for any type of "integrity".
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »

What?

I cited it because it's a historically black college and you obviously wouldn't fit in
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »

I just found it funny because you and I both know Republicans wouldn't be welcome there. The stupidity of it all crosses both aisles.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »

I just found it funny because you and I both know Republicans wouldn't be welcome there. The stupidity of it all crosses both aisles.

But they don't ban college republicans do they?

Anyways would you agree that Liberty U should lose their tax exempt status for doing something so blatantly political?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »

Are private institutions allowed to take away things like freedom of speech and assembly just like that?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »

If Berkeley can have a College Republican club, Liberty college can have a college Democratic club.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »

So are you supporting Liberty's decision in banning the college Democrats or are you diverting attention from the issue at hand by attacking other posters?

Perhaps you'd justify any bad decision they make just because "OMG THEY BELIEVE IN GOD!"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

If Berkeley can have a College Republican club, Liberty college can have a college Democratic club.

I believe they claim to be the biggest club on campus
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies