Falwell's Liberty University bans college Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Falwell's Liberty University bans college Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Falwell's Liberty University bans college Democrats  (Read 4237 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

''Liberty'' University.

Someone should sue them for usurpating the word ''Liberty''. There is no liberty in this place.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »

Are private institutions allowed to take away things like freedom of speech and assembly just like that?

What do you mean by "take away" those things? Not allow their property to be used for the dissemination of viewpoints they find objectionable? Of course.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »

''Liberty'' University.

Someone should sue them for usurpating the word ''Liberty''. There is no liberty in this place.

It would be really ironic if they banned the College Libertarians.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »

Are private institutions allowed to take away things like freedom of speech and assembly just like that?

What do you mean by "take away" those things? Not allow their property to be used for the dissemination of viewpoints they find objectionable? Of course.
I say "take away" because prior to this decision, the school's Democratic club was able to meet on school ground and hold their meetings. Then they said that such meetings were banned on campus. I think it's wrong that they're able to take away such basic things like the freedom to assembly, private school or not.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 06:34:53 PM »

They're taking away the freedom to assemble (for this purpose) on their property. If you think that should be illegal, I respect your position. But don't exaggerate what they're doing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »

It sounds like the University is a very totalitarian administration, not allowing dissenting view points.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 10:38:09 PM »

It sounds like the University is a very totalitarian administration, not allowing dissenting view points.

In other words the current Republican Party
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:36 PM »

Even I think this is absurd.

It gets more hilarious though......Falwell called Bob McDonnell to try to find an organization that the students could identify with.

Liberty University Democrats group reluctant to accept Falwell proposal

BY DAVE THOMPSON
LYNCHBURG NEWS & ADVANCE
Published: May 23, 2009

Leaders of the now-defunct Liberty University College Democrats group are reticent to accept Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr.’s latest proposal, which could allow college sponsorship of the group, albeit with a modified charter and different sponsor, group representatives said Saturday.

Brian Diaz, president of the group that was announced suspended on Thursday, said Falwell suggested Friday evening that the group affiliate with Democrats for Life of America, a national organization that specifically opposes abortion, euthanasia and the death penalty.

“We’re weighing our options, and that’s definitely an option, although it has come to my attention that the Democrats for Life organization … (does) not endorse anyone at all that would be pro-choice,” Diaz said.

Falwell said the appeal of Democrats for Life is their single-issue focus, that single issue being very much in line with the position of the university.

The goal of Democrats for Life of America is to support pro-life Democrats and “promote a pro-life plank in the Democratic Party platform,” according to their Web site, http://www.democratsforlife.org.

“Other than that, they call themselves Democrats, but they don’t have a platform similar to the Democratic National Committee that includes all these other positions that are not pro-family values and are not pro-life,” Falwell said.

Though Diaz, 18, said he disagrees with the pro-choice movement, an affiliation with the strictly pro-life group could be problematic if the college group wanted to support a candidate who held pro-choice views.

“There are other issues that come into play,” he said, especially if the current democratic president decides to run for re-election.

“If we were to charter under the Democrats for Life organization,” Diaz said, “we would not be able to endorse or campaign for, or do anything for Barack Obama and his re-election run.”

Under the Liberty University College Democrats constitution, adopted in November of 2008, the group specifically aligned itself with the philosophical ideals of the Democratic Party.

“The College Democrats pledges itself to support the philosophy and candidates of the Democratic Party,” reads the document.

The charter also pledges that the members of the group “will take a pro-life stance and support the traditional form of marriage.”

Falwell said that, in an attempt to find an organization Liberty students could affiliate with, he contacted presumptive Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell.

McDonnell, Falwell said, pointed him in the direction of Democrats for Life.

Maria Childress, the college group’s adviser, said she’s skeptical of affiliating with the organization specifically because of its Republican support.

“Given the original force being Bob McDonnell,” Childress said, “that is a little bit contrary to the mission of our club.”

Childress, Diaz and Falwell all expressed a desire to continue the discussion, hopefully ending in a resolution that would let the group once again be sponsored by Liberty.

“We want to uphold the university, although we do have different views politically,” Diaz said, adding “Hopefully we can come up with a compromise.”

“It’s just an idea,” Falwell said. “There may be other compromises that would work, but that’s just an idea that we came up with.”

Childress said though the discussion is still going on, she doesn’t believe the current suggested course is the right one.

“Right now we are inclined to decline (the offer), because we want to have the freedom to stand up for who we believe in, and who we believe would be the best option,” she said.

“Obviously, our next step is to try to work out a compromise with the university,” Childress said, “so that we can still be active in our present state, but at this point we don’t have anything concrete.”
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »

''Liberty'' University.

Given what is known about Liberty University, they would probably try to ban a Ron Paul group or something similar if there were actually any supporters there. I doubt there are any "real" Libertarians who would even consider  Liberty U.--but then, I would have thought the same about any Democrats.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »

I doubt there are any "real" Libertarians who would even consider  Liberty U.--but then, I would have thought the same about any Democrats.

There are a number of Democrats who would find a Christian-based educational environment appealing.  Too bad they won't find it at "Liberty" University.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »

I doubt there are any "real" Libertarians who would even consider  Liberty U.--but then, I would have thought the same about any Democrats.

There are a number of Democrats who would find a Christian-based educational environment appealing.  Too bad they won't find it at "Liberty" University.

That wasn't what I was saying. I'm perfectly aware that there are people like BushOklahoma, and I suppose they occasionally get conned into going to places like Liberty U.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »

Idiots.

Don't they know the way you do this is:

1) Let group form.
2) Let group do something stupid.
3) Demonize said group from all angles.
4) Rinse and repeat until everyone disassociates from said group.
5) Group ceases to exist.

That's the way they do things at all other universities.  Much easier and more effective.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 12:28:15 AM »

''Liberty'' University.

Given what is known about Liberty University, they would probably try to ban a Ron Paul group or something similar if there were actually any supporters there. I doubt there are any "real" Libertarians who would even consider  Liberty U.--but then, I would have thought the same about any Democrats.

IIRC, Ron Paul spoke at Liberty.

So did Tim Kaine, now Chairman of the DNC whose platform that the University now finds objectionable.

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=5958
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 02:05:41 AM »

Idiots.

1) Let group form.

That's the way they do things at all other universities.  Much easier and more effective.

The real question is why a democratic group would do something "stupid", especially in a uber-conservative environment like liberty. It's not as if they were starting Satan's club or something.........
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 04:18:34 AM »

Idiots.

1) Let group form.

The reason why they banned the group is because the national Democratic Party supports infantcide.  All of the members of this branch of College Democrats claim to support life, so I don't know how stupid this small group of kids is going to act insofar as the university as a whole is interested.

And, as I said, I believe the College Republicans at UC Berkeley are the largest campus organization.  The Pro-Israel group has gotten in fairly serious legal trouble for fist-fights and whatnot against pro-Palestinian groups, but they're just as strong as ever.

I agree though that this is stupid.  A bad PR move.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 06:01:42 AM »

The Pro-Israel group has gotten in fairly serious legal trouble for fist-fights and whatnot against pro-Palestinian groups, but they're just as strong as ever.
I thought it was the other way around....you got something I can read on the subject?  Google isn't being helpful.  Is Husam Zakharia involved?  Wait, is this what you're talking about?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Is there newer news?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »

Yeah the student council spent $20k of our tuition dollars in order to successfully hold a recall election against the Jew.  Now he's suing them...

but it seems like about as much of a scandal as a student group can get into and they're doing fine

I do find it hilarious that Israel and Palestine are exporting their violence to people who have zero actual stake in the area.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »

Are the Zionists as violent as the anti-Zionists insinuate on their web pages?

Is there a lot of anti-Zionism preached in the classrooms as the Zionists insinuate on their web pages?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »

Are the Zionists as violent as the anti-Zionists insinuate on their web pages?

Is there a lot of anti-Zionism preached in the classrooms as the Zionists insinuate on their web pages?

lol
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »

I've never even heard of this school.  I do feel sorry for the students though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies