Do you believe in √(-1)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:30:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you believe in √(-1)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you believe in √(-1)?
Yes

No

I'm agnostic

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Do you believe in √(-1)?  (Read 5529 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »

Discuss.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »

No.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »

The letter i is merely a concept, much like the invisible pink unicorn, the flying spaghetti monster, zombie Jesus, or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It also isn't nearly as cool as any of those things, so that makes me believe in it even less. Seriously, it's so damn boring.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »

It's just a place holder much like zero is. No need to get all fussy about it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:43:02 AM »

It was at this point in my math learning career that I started to get frustrated.  The f of X sh**t was the end.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:49 AM »

In the same way that I believe in the idea of ghosts - impossible, but good for scaring people.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 01:12:09 AM »

It's true in the same way a corporation being a "person" is true.  Strictly speaking, it's a nonsense mathematical term, but in a broader sense, it's a necessary fiction to make everything else work.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 02:38:39 AM »

Imaginary numbers, despite their name, have actually real life application in modern physics, so yes.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

i is the most awesome number ever. Give it a break.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

When I was young, I found Isaac Asimov's rebuttal to the unreality of imaginary numbers one of the most compelling. The story has stayed with me throughout my academic career, but I am afraid I might not get it all verbatim. So, I found this rendition of it from his later autobiography, In Memory Yet Green (1979):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mathematics deals in abstract quantities that include thing like zero, negative numbers, variables, functions, groups, vector spaces, algebras, and a host of other concepts. One of them happens to be complex numbers which includes the square roots of -1, and for historical reasons they were dubbed imaginary numbers. They are no more imaginary than any of the other abstract objects in mathematics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »

I'm shocked that you didn't mention infinitesimals.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »

Imaginary numbers, despite their name, have actually real life application in modern physics, so yes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 08:45:36 AM »

Yes. But I am religious. Wink

Seriously though I think some of these concepts are mystic by nature. The human mind (or at least my mind) cannot comprehend many of the concepts used in modern matehmatics and physics. Sure, I can follow the proofs and I can use it (I owned imaginary numbers back when we had exams on it) but I can't really wrap my mind around it and get it. It is about as mystic to me as God. Tongue
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:05:38 AM »

I believe in i.

I also believe in pi, although it is irrational.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »

i is just an abstraction of an abstraction. If you accept the existence of 'two' then you should probably accept the existence of i.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »

i do.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »

No.  Imaginary numbers are, by definition, imaginary, i.e. products of the imagination.  Therefore, they are not real; if they were, they would be real numbers.  Since the square root of -1 is clearly not a real number but an imaginary number, then by its very definition it cannot exist.

All abstractions are products of the imagination.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »

No.  Imaginary numbers are, by definition, imaginary, i.e. products of the imagination.  Therefore, they are not real; if they were, they would be real numbers.  Since the square root of -1 is clearly not a real number but an imaginary number, then by its very definition it cannot exist.

The name has little to do with its meaning and more to do with its history. That would be like saying a strange quark has less reality than an electron because of its fanciful name.

But I would claim the imaginary numbers to be just as functional as any real number. If you believe that a line segment can be rotated in a plane then you have worked with imaginary numbers, just not in their algebraic form. For instance, consider the line segment in the 2-dimensional plane from (0,0) to (3,4). A 90 degree rotation around the origin takes the other end to (-4,3). But this is just multiplying the 2-dimensional point by the imaginary unit i. If I wrote it with algebra it would read (3+4i)i = (-4+3i), and I would have used imaginary numbers.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »

I am faithful.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2009, 08:05:57 PM by pbrower2a »

i is an answer; one can debate the relevance of the answer.

We have a hierarchy of genuineness of numbers. First we have the natural numbers that one counts with. Add the number "zero" for completeness through the inclusion of the concept of "nothingness" or a void.

The ancient Egyptians and Greeks hardly accepted zero as a number, perhaps suggesting that "nothingness" had no significance. Neither did they have the mirror image of the whole numbers, the negative integers, which with the whole numbers and zero comprise the integers, the "complete" numbers. 

The Egyptians found fractions -- "broken numbers" useful, as did the Greeks. Add to such numbers as 3/8  and 2/5  such inverses as 8/3 and 5/2 and one has all the broken, if sensible "rational" numbers -- if one allows 1 as a divisor. Zero is of course prohibited as a divisor.

Trouble arose with numbers that could not be seen as fractions -- like the square roots of 2 or 23, or the cube roots of 4 or 25. They could only be approximated with fractions, but they were solutions. The Egyptians knew well of the 3-4-5 right triangle and perhaps 5-12-13, 7-24-25, 8-15-17, 9-40-41, and 11-60-61 ... but the great Euclid could prove that the diagonal of a right triangle with rational sides could never be expressed precisely as a fraction. Such numbers didn't seam quite 'reasonable', so they were called 'irrational'. The weird constant π created its own problems.

Some cultures discovered zero -- our use of zero derives from Indian practice. They had the concept of the void and nothingness and had a number to express it. The Arabs found it useful, and we learned it from the Arabs.

In the Renaissance, people started trying to solve equations that supposedly had no answers -- like x^4 =1. "1" and "-1" are solutions, but so are "i" and "-i"; after all, i^4 =1. Numbers involving i were thus "imaginary" even if three-dimensional mathematics is  a sane proposition. But they were algebraic, establishing them as solutions of polynomial equations.  One could do about everything but establish order among them.

Numbers like π and the frequently-used e (base of the natural logarithms, and heavily in use) could later be proved impossible to find polynomial equations with π or e (among other numbers) from which one can find a root. Such numbers are called transcendental -- as they "go beyond" computation as they are un-algebraic.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »

√(-1) is dead.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »

You killed him, you monster. Angry
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 11:56:27 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2009, 12:19:47 AM by Mechaman »

That wasn't a nice thing to say. A real gentleman of your persuasion would've said "you bastard."
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »

No. I believe in quaternions.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 12:19:58 AM »

Hamilton's greatest achievement. Too bad we quit teaching and using them in favor of vector and matrix formalism. Matrices always work as a representation, but the beauty of simple elements like quaternions directly shows symmetry.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies