Free Communications Bill (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:44:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Free Communications Bill (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Free Communications Bill (Failed)  (Read 3794 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
« edited: May 29, 2009, 08:05:03 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Free Communications Bill

1)  The Federal Communications Commission is hereby disbanded, as are any other federal organization which seeks to censor forms of the media.

2)  In its place will be set up a Commission for Media Truth in order to maintain the truth in media.

3) The CMT will have no powers other than maintaining that what is presented in the news media is the truth.

Spon: HappyWarrior
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Getting rid of the FCC is a great idea! The CMT is at least much weaker.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »

I never planned this to be the final bill and am looking for ways to improve it.  I have never been the best bill writer per-say but I do try to bring important issues to the fore.  Does anyone have any amendments to offer?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »

I think the FCC serves a crucial role in our government and the CMT feels a little too much like "Big Brother" to me. I'm not sure what could make me support this kind of bill, but I am open to see what results from amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »

I think the FCC serves a crucial role in our government and the CMT feels a little too much like "Big Brother" to me. I'm not sure what could make me support this kind of bill, but I am open to see what results from amendment.

The CMT definitely seems like the extent of its powers should be clearly defined. After all, would it just bar ridiculous lies in the media, e.g. the White House is an enormous Cheddar sculpture built on Mars, or would it be able to come down on one side in issues of controversy?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:03:11 PM »

The CMT definitely seems like the extent of its powers should be clearly defined. After all, would it just bar ridiculous lies in the media, e.g. the White House is an enormous Cheddar sculpture built on Mars, or would it be able to come down on one side in issues of controversy?

It is simply in existence to ensure that outright lies or opinions are not expressed as truth.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:54:14 AM »

All media should be self regulating. I understand the intent behind this bill, but is very difficult to gauge what is 'true', not in the sense of x is correct and y is in correct, but whether all media, at all times has to 'speak the truth.'
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »

All media should be self regulating. I understand the intent behind this bill, but is very difficult to gauge what is 'true', not in the sense of x is correct and y is in correct, but whether all media, at all times has to 'speak the truth.'

^

my thoughts basically.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »

I like Section 1, other than that, not so much...
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

Originally I planned to only introduce section one but was not quite sure it would pass...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

Originally I planned to only introduce section one but was not quite sure it would pass...

Amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »

The CMT requires greater hashing out. As the wording currently stands, the CMT could potentially lead to government control of the media. How do we define "truth"?

In addition, some sort of control mechanism is necessary. We can't end up with Dora the Explorer teaching how to swear en espanol.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »

In addition, some sort of control mechanism is necessary. We can't end up with Dora the Explorer teaching how to swear en espanol.

Serious question: why not?

It should be the responsibility of parents to ensure that their children see material that they consider appropriate.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »

I accept the Franzl Amendment as friendly.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »

It should be the responsibility of parents to ensure that their children see material that they consider appropriate.

Government has the responsibility to act in certain capacities for the public good. I view the military as one of those functions. I view regulation of commerce and media as other such responsibilities.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »

Government has the responsibility to act in certain capacities for the public good. I view the military as one of those functions. I view regulation of commerce and media as other such responsibilities.

That's a clear statement, although I disagree with the notion, at least as far as the media is concerned.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »

That's a clear statement, although I disagree with the notion, at least as far as the media is concerned.

Fair enough. Big tent. Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »

I hereby open up a final vote on the bill listed below. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1)  The Federal Communications Commission is hereby disbanded, as are any other federal organization which seeks to censor forms of the media.

Aye
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 09:02:01 AM »

AYE
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 11:32:27 AM »

Hearty Nay
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »

Aye
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

Nay! This bill is nonsense.

Without the FCC there would be no regulation at all of US airwaves. I'm fine with removing censorship, but this bill would lead to outright anarchy with radio and television stations being free to jam each others' signals, broadcast over each other's channels, and plant new broadcasting stations without regard to how it would affect others' signals.

If you want to remove the FCC's ability to censor content, then take that away from them, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »

Nay! This bill is nonsense.

Without the FCC there would be no regulation at all of US airwaves. I'm fine with removing censorship, but this bill would lead to outright anarchy with radio and television stations being free to jam each others' signals, broadcast over each other's channels, and plant new broadcasting stations without regard to how it would affect others' signals.

If you want to remove the FCC's ability to censor content, then take that away from them, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You know I never thought about that side of things. I guess we are used to thinking of the FCC in one way and are slightly blind to how it regulates for the sake of, by sounds of things, simple workability.

I'll change my vote to Nay.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies