Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:51:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Why is it cool to persecute Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Why is it cool to persecute Christians?  (Read 23967 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2009, 02:26:37 AM »

The problem is that most of this so called-persecution is denying the right of certain "Christians" (the type who believe that saying the name of Jesus repeatedly is a substitute for following His teachings, not the type who go into the closet to pray in secret, love God with all their heart and their neighbor as themselves, and render onto Caesar that which is Caesars...) to go around persecuting others.   No we won't let the gays have legal marriage - not even in civil or Unitarian ceremonies.  We must broadcast prayer in schools - they must pray how we say, rather than in private and in their hearts.

Yes, some of the extremists get criticized - just as the $cientologists and other power-players masking as religion do, but that is a part of the freedoms of speech and religion.   People can say and believe as they will.  Just as the fundie can criticize gays, Mormons, and rational people (or any combination thereof), people can turn around and criticize the fundies right back - that's how freedom works.

Whining about being "persecuted' though - that's really popular.  and for good reason - it fuels the whole 'us vs them' culture war mentality which puts butts in the pews and coins in the plate.   And since persecution was a part of early Christianity (Jesus and the apostles were persecuted by the Roman empire, as were early Christians), it fits in well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »

You know, I can not think of a single Hollywood film (once again, Bill Maher's small, independently produced documentary is not a product of Hollywood) that is anti-Christian. I can however think of several Christian propaganda films (Signs, The Reaping, Knowing...)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2009, 02:54:07 AM »

Saved!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »

That's hardly anti-Christian either. Plenty of characters in it (the protaganist, her mother, the pastor's son) were all Christians and clearly good people. Also that's another independent production.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »

Maybe you're on to something.  Maybe the Jews that run Hollywood have been converted?  Afraid of pissing off the golden goose (ie, ignorant masses)?  Clearly a conspiracy here of some kind.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2009, 12:00:27 PM »

Maybe you're on to something.  Maybe the Jews that run Hollywood have been converted?  Afraid of pissing off the golden goose (ie, ignorant masses)?  Clearly a conspiracy here of some kind.

Clearly this is the correct answer. Wink
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »

Mockery is not persecution.  If you want to see persecution, go to Burma and see how Buddhists are treated, go to Iran and see how Zoroastrians are treated, and yes, if you want to see Christians persecuted, go to China and watch what happens to people who worship in house churches. 

Anyone who is not prepared to have their beliefs mocked is not prepared to live in a democracy. 
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »

The American Center for Law and Justice has documented hundreds of cases of Christians being persecuted right here in the good old USA. Ever heard of the ACLU. the Freedom from religion society, People for the "american" way? They spend almost all their budgets persecuting Christians and christianity.

Just because leftist churches that CLAIM TO BE CHRISTIAN are not persecuted does not mean that true Christian churches and true Christians are not.  Churches and pastors without a spine will not be perseucted of course!!!!!!!  Those with a spine will face it daily.  mockery AND persecution.  Both are wrong.

I have been studying up on this. Check out this site and you will see the truth if you have the courage to open your mind...

www.aclj.org   9great article on it here --- http://www.aclj.org/TrialNotebook/Read.aspx?id=781
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All I need to hear about ACLJ.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »

The American Center for Law and Justice has documented hundreds of cases of Christians being persecuted right here in the good old USA. Ever heard of the ACLU. the Freedom from religion society, People for the "american" way? They spend almost all their budgets persecuting Christians and christianity.

Just because leftist churches that CLAIM TO BE CHRISTIAN are not persecuted does not mean that true Christian churches and true Christians are not.  Churches and pastors without a spine will not be perseucted of course!!!!!!!  Those with a spine will face it daily.  mockery AND persecution.  Both are wrong.

I have been studying up on this. Check out this site and you will see the truth if you have the courage to open your mind...

www.aclj.org   9great article on it here --- http://www.aclj.org/TrialNotebook/Read.aspx?id=781

That website and "truth" don't exactly go hand in hand,  Pat Robertson, lol.   I don't see what is wrong with the law they are fighting against.  He wasn't "persecuted" because he was a 'Christian', he was because he broke a law about depicting violence.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »

The law being cited by that ACLJ piece targets all public displays of violence (note it mentions Ruby shooting Oswald and a violent bank theft), so it hardly was designed to specifically "persecute" Christians.  The fact that the guy they are defending in this instance wants to publicly display holocaust victims and aborted fetuses in defense of a Christian cause does not mean the law that made his display a misdemeanor was designed especially to repress Christian speech.

Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:23 PM »

Lizard People can't convert.  It's almost like you've never heard of David Icke.  Wink

Either way, you don't need to be religious to rake in the money.

They also spend much of it on defending Rush Limbaugh's addictions.

Quote from: Restricted

True Christians, it is my understanding, are defined by faith, not politics.  Just because both the Left and the Right use it as a political inkblot doesn't make it right.

Quote from: Restricted

I would recommend staying away from using Pat Robertson to make a point.  He's too polemical for practical purposes.

As to the case cited, anvikshiki makes the same point that I would.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

Being persecuted is just a cross Christians have to bear. Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2009, 04:52:44 AM »

Being persecuted is just a cross Christians have to bear. Wink
you just won the thread!
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »

That website and "truth" don't exactly go hand in hand,  Pat Robertson, lol.   I don't see what is wrong with the law they are fighting against.  He wasn't "persecuted" because he was a 'Christian', he was because he broke a law about depicting violence.

Right. attack the messanger since you cant dispute his ideas.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2009, 11:44:57 AM »

And now obama wants to pass laws like they have in Europe where Pastors can't proclaim the word of God from the pulpit if it offends the Gays or such like that.

Can you provide a link on that?  I find that assertion highly dubious.

This line -------- Barack Obama, a devout and pious Christian may be the most laughable thing I have ever read in the history of the Atlas forums. 
Did you pay attention to the presidential election at all?  He constantly talked about how much of a Christian he is...

Notice how Coburn didn't answer my questions because he knows that he cant.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2009, 11:50:23 AM »

Right. attack the messanger since you cant dispute his ideas.

I did both.  I attacked the messenger because he is a bigot, and I attacked and disputed his idea.  the guy in question wasn't prosecuted or "persecuted" due to his Christian beliefs.  He was because he broke the law about displaying violent images.  A law not made to 'persecute' Christians, but a law made well to stop people from displaying violent images..
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »

And now obama wants to pass laws like they have in Europe where Pastors can't proclaim the word of God from the pulpit if it offends the Gays or such like that.

This line -------- Barack Obama, a devout and pious Christian may be the most laughable thing I have ever read in the history of the Atlas forums. 
Did you pay attention to the presidential election at all?  He constantly talked about how much of a Christian he is...

Notice how Coburn didn't answer your questions because he's a fake persona.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »

His consistent ability to play rope-a-dope with the forum has warmed him to me.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »

Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just guessing?  Because I find his persona to be pretty believable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »

Did you think Hawkeye was real too?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 03:07:46 PM »

Do you have any actual evidence of that, or are you just guessing?  Because I find his persona to be pretty believable.

Why?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »

I could spend all day talking about how I love cars and am a garage.  That's doesn't make me one.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »

I could spend all day talking about how I love cars and am a garage.  That's doesn't make me one.
Well ok, but you still didn't provide a single bit of evidence that "obama wants to pass laws like they have in Europe where Pastors can't proclaim the word of God from the pulpit if it offends the Gays or such like that."  And the reason why you didn't provide me any of that evidence, and still do not, is because there is no such evidence.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2009, 12:26:30 AM »

Why?

people are easily fooled.

evidence #3,258, he ignores these comments in order to get Harry to respond some more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies