Lief/Bacon King Campaign HQ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lief/Bacon King Campaign HQ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Lief/Bacon King Campaign HQ  (Read 5097 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:20:53 AM »
« edited: May 27, 2009, 05:00:57 PM by Lief »

Hello, fellow citizens!

I joined Atlasia roughly two years ago, and in my short time here, I have been lucky to represent my region as its Lieutenant Governor and then for six months as its Governor. I was also very lucky to be elected to serve a term in the Atlasian Senate, where I believe I was able to work with many of my fellow Senators to pass a number of important reforms and laws, in an effort to solve the problems in our own country and around the world.

Today, I come to you to announce my candidacy this June for President. I do not enter this race lightly; I understand the importance of the office and I understand the need for a competent and active individual to hold it. During my involvement in Atlasia I've seen that active and involved Presidents can do a lot of good, fostering activity, sparking debate, and spearheading progress. Of course, I've also seen Presidents who did not fulfill the duties of the office, who were content to sit on the sidelines and achieve only the bare minimum that was called for.

While I will unveil more specifics in the coming weeks leading up the election, I will be highlighting  two goals in my campaign that, if I am elected, will guide me in my presidency. First, is greater presidential involvement in the game. While as a former Senator I respect and understand the powers of the Senate, I also believe that the President has an important role in crafting legislation and setting forth a legislative agenda. Through use of the line item veto powers given to the President in the 19th amendment, as well as the simple actions of taking a greater role in Senate debate, the President can play an effective role in the Atlasian government. On this point, I also stress the need for an active and engaged GM, and I promise that if my GM lags in activity or initiative, I will fire him and find a new one.

Second, I feel that it's high time we refocus the topic of debate, both in legislation and in campaigning. For too long we have been focused on the rules and regulations of the game, rather than actually working within them. While I applaud the work that has been done with regards to forum affairs, I see them as largely a means to an end, that end being an engaging government (and with it, campaigning) simulation. Unfortunately, for a long time now, this end has been ignored. By refocusing the debate on real world economic and social issues and by working towards coherent policy, we will make the government side of the game more engaging; we will make campaigns more meaningful, shifting them away from personality contests or party-line votes to votes based on political and ideological issues; and we will spur greater political debate, as Senators and voters are forced to make real decisions.

For a concrete example of how I will approach these two goals, I would like to talk about a subject that I have always felt strongly about: health care. Health care in Atlasia is currently a confusing and outdated mess, and we lag behind every industrialized, western state in this regard. While some regions have taken the initiative in providing health care to their citizens and the federal government has worked to ensure universal coverage in our capital and territories, we still have a lot of work to do. As President, I'll work to ensure universal health care coverage for every Atlasian, a task that will take cooperation from the Senate, the regions and likely the citizens of Atlasia.

I have a lot more to say, on issues from the constitutional convention to the economic crisis. I will be happy to take questions in this thread, which will soon be transitioned into my campaign HQ, and I hope to debate Senator PiT and any other candidates before the voting begins.

Thank you,
Lief
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:28:26 AM »

Endorsed. You would be a great president.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:25:48 AM »

You have my complete support, Lief. If there's anything you need of me, let me know, though it would probably be best if you distanced yourself from my loud mouth. Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »

Lief I want to wish you the best of luck in your venture.  I only have the utmost of respect for you and though I of course want PiT and myself to win, there are very few people I'd rather we go up againest.  Like I said good luck, and I can not wait to find out who MY opponent is Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »

Good luck Lief. While I will not be voting for you, I respect the years of service which you have provided in Atlasia. I look forward to a lively and productive campaign season.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »

I wish you the best of luck friend.  You did an excellent job as our Lt. Governor and Governor, as well as Senator. We have a lot of great choices here for President, and I know that if you are elected that you will do an excellent job!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »

Good luck Lief. While I will not be voting for you, I respect the years of service which you have provided in Atlasia. I look forward to a lively and productive campaign season.

yes, what PS said.

Best of luck in your campaign, although I'll ultimately be voting for the PiT/Happy ticket. I hope to enjoy the upcoming weeks in this election season.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »

I look forward to a lively debate.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »

You, sir, have been wholeheartedly endorsed.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words and shows of support.

I will be making an announcement regarding my running mate within the next few days.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »

is the person that will be your VP a well known poster?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »

is the person that will be your VP a well known poster?

We can speculate, but better to just wait for the announcement. I have a feeling we won't be shocked by the pick.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:35:22 PM »

well there is only two ways to go.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »

Hello again friends and fellow Atlasians,

Today I come before you to unveil my choice for Vice President. The person I have selected has been a public servant of Atlasia for many years. In his time in the Senate and regional government, he has been a voice for the same progressive values that this campaign represents. Though we were once opponents in a fateful special election, I have always had a great respect for him and the work he has done in the Senate, and I know he'll make an exemplary Vice President. Ladies and gentleman, please join me in welcoming my choice for Vice President: Senator Bacon King!
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

That was a very good VP pick, good luck to both of you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »

I would like to wish you two luck as my opponents. I would also like to point out that each of the three declared tickets has one of the three people who ran in the October Southeast Senate race.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »

Thank you for the selection; I look forward to the campaign ahead.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »

An excellent choice, Lief. Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »

I asked this in the last presidential election debate and I would like to repeat this question, in a slightly modified form, as the first question posed to this campaign:

Were the Constitutional Convention to pass a Constitution that causes major upheavals for the legislative and other branches, how would you attempt to ease such a transition?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »

I think the most important thing to do in that situation would be informing the voters about the new system, especially if it's one radically different from the one we have (such as a universal or parliamentary model). To do that, I and/or my SoFA would pursue a sort of information campaign, similar to the welcome to Atlasia thread, but necessarily larger in scope, to educate people about how exactly elections work, how the system of government works, etc. This would include likely threads in the forum, as well as a mass PM blast to all citizens which would include some of the important points explaining the new constitution.

It'll also be important for the current Senate to pass laws after the constitutional convention approves a new constitution governing elections and the other vagaries that are not written into stone in the constitution, and, as President, I'd work with the Senate to get that quickly passed.

But, as I stated earlier, the most important thing is making sure that each and everyone in the game is up to date on the new system and fully understands how their vote will count, what it will count for, and how the government they are voting for will work. This should be the next President's focus (if a new constitution is approved during his term).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »

How's about a debate?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »

I see nothing wrong with that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »

Awesome. Assuming everyone else is okay with it I'll make a thread.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 05:19:25 PM »

I am ok with it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »

Perhaps we can leave it to Jas as the non-partisan moderator to open the debate thread?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies