Monthly Obama Forum Approval - May 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:44:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Monthly Obama Forum Approval - May 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you ..... of Obama's performance so far ?
Strongly Approve

Somewhat Approve

Undecided

Somewhat Disapprove

Strongly Disapprove

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Monthly Obama Forum Approval - May 2009  (Read 4198 times)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

I just think he'll do whatever he has to in order to keep his poll numbers up. Rahm and Co. poll everything in the White House.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »

Hmm,
The only way I'll ever vote for Obama is if he appoints someone to the Supreme Court who is pro-life. Since I doubt that will happen, and looking at how our government is on a spending spree and the economy still hasn't recovered...

Somewhat Disapprove
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »

I just think he'll do whatever he has to in order to keep his poll numbers up. Rahm and Co. poll everything in the White House.

Sort of like Bill Clinton.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »

I've moved from the slightly neutral to disapprove camp. His honeymoon for me is over.
CJK
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 04:17:28 PM »

Somewhat disapprove.

I don't think Obama knows what he's doing. He's raising the debt to astronomical levels (far worse than Bush) with absolutely no plan to us out of the hole. His Gitmo publicity stunt also makes little sense. But at the same, I don't want to be unduly harsh this early on.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »

but that doesn't mean they should be able to kick puppies without affecting our personal approvals of them.

Oh, believe me, I think the ridiculous hype of this guy is even more reason to disapprove. Of course your disappointment ought to lead to disapproval for the man. That being said, some of us weren't completely idiotic and didn't buy Mr. "Transcends Politics" nonsense.

I don't see why being hyped is a reason to eviscerate someone.  We aren't the British music press.

When he and his campaign say silly stuff like "he transcends politics," yes, it's more reason to disapprove of someone when they're not living up to standards.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're a naive one, Adlai.

Don't worry, Adlai. If Obama is popular again when 2012 rolls around, I'm sure you'll suddenly approve of him again.
kcsaff
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »

Going down as he completely capitulates on torture and the gays

Agreed -- I voted for him in the primary because I believed he would be much better on human rights issues than he has been. 

Only "somewhat disapprove" because he hasn't started any new wars, yet.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »

Strongly approve.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2009, 11:45:14 PM by Alcon »

When he and his campaign say silly stuff like "he transcends politics," yes, it's more reason to disapprove of someone when they're not living up to standards.

Eh, don't fully agree.  Sloganeering by the campaign affects my approval a little.  But failure to live up to claims that were ridiculous on face doesn't make for an inferior job, really.  And being hyped by other people is irrelevant to me.

I frankly don't think I should claim someone is doing a worse job just because he was cocky about his performance prospective, but that's an individual call.

You're a naive one, Adlai.

Don't worry, Adlai. If Obama is popular again when 2012 rolls around, I'm sure you'll suddenly approve of him again.

1. Obama is plenty popular right now

2. You're being creepy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2009, 11:50:25 PM by Keystone Phil »

OK, this is getting a bit ridiculous.  Obama is quite popular now, and nothing I said was unfair.  This is approaching self-parody.  Lay off.

Your blatant Moderate Heroism on certain subjects reached self parody months ago.

Sure, Obama is still quite popular nationally. Take a look at this poll though. Look at the responses. You have to join the ranks of the "Somewhat disappointed supporters" club. You'll all be back on board when there is a Supreme Court fight in a few weeks. I know you already have a post typed up, hailing the President for elevating a "brilliant academic yet easy to relate to, empathetic" jurist to the bench. You just have a blank spot to fill in when the announcement is made.

And I do enjoy how the Obama hype has only affected your opinion "a little." I guess acting holier than thou is only offensive when it's an act put on by a social conservative Republican.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 11:57:33 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2009, 11:59:04 PM by Alcon »

I'm happy to try to explain myself (and my biases -- which exist), but you're really not an especially kind human being, and I don't think you're actually interested in hearing it.  Lay off or don't, but I'm through with replying to you, so you'll be punching a shadow.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »

He didn't say "Adlai" in that last post at all though
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 12:03:05 AM »

I'm happy to try to explain myself (and my biases -- which exist), but you're really not an especially kind human being, and I don't think you're actually interested in hearing it.  Lay off or don't, but I'm through with replying to you, so you'll be punching a shadow.

"Oh, you're so nasty, Phil."

Well, maybe towards you, yeah. That has plenty to do with your biases which clearly exist elsewhere but you refuse to admit to them.

I really don't think there's anything to explain. I'm convinced that you take certain blatant Moderate Hero positions. The classic one would be your brief support for McCain when he lead in the polls. You explained that you left McCain because of his pick of Palin but never really explained why you supported him in the first place. But, hey, I'm just punching at that egghead shadow now so I'll stop.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 12:05:54 AM »

Somewhat disapprove, verging on strongly disapprove

I voted the former
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »

for all the bias the forum has, right now it's 11 strongly app, 9 somewhat app, 0 unsure, 9 somewhat dis, 9 strongly dis.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:18 AM »

I don't admit I have biases?  Especially not in the last post I made where I said "my biases -- which I have"?

I do make an earnest attempt to correct for my biases.  Don't know all of them or correct for them perfectly.  But I do try, and if that's enough to qualify me for Moderate Hero (because I'm wishy-washy sympathetic a lot to avoid bias) then damnit I Purple heart Mark Warner 4Eva
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »

I don't admit I have biases?  Especially not in the last post I made where I said "my biases -- which I have"?

You're not admitting to the biases that I'd like you to admit to. We both know what I'm talking about. These biases make it easy for me to admit that, yeah, I'm a bit nasty with you and I think it's totally justified. I think I get treated a bit unfairly around here and I'm wrongly accused of being "too mean" to some people but, with you, I have no problem admitting it.

There have simply been a few curious situations where you haven't explained some interesting positions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »

I'm going to take it to PM to avoid clogging this thread up.  Sorry people
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12:25 AM »

Strongly approve
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »

Somewhere between Somewhat and Strongly Approve, but I'll vote Strongly Approve to cancel out the hacks.

Despite his spinelessness and his constant hypocrisies and flip-flops? I stand for my principles, not for people. I hope people here are sensible enough to do the same.

I'm probably going to vote undecided.  Some of Obama's flip-flops I agree with, but they are flip-flops. 

I've said that I had problem with Obama's honesty, as a candidate.  You are seeing the same thing now being expressed by former supporters.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »

Wow -that is closer than I expected.... 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »

Unfortunately, Obama seems even better than Clinton at pulling the wool over our eyes and making us think things are fantastic.  It amazes me that he has such high approval at this point.

It doesn't amaze me. Perhaps most voters actually understand the severity of the sh*tty hand which this president was dealt by his predecessor (who, after all, had the fortune of inheriting a relatively good economy and a federal government living well within its means) and are giving him what is needed most right now, which is time and patience

Should the economy continue to deteriorate, Obama will inevitably take a hit - much like Reagan did (in January 1983, the Gipper looked as though he was going to be toast) but should the economy rebound nicely and unemployment fall significantly by time November 2012 comes around ... Smiley. Better yet were this to be achieved by November 2010
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »

Unfortunately, Obama seems even better than Clinton at pulling the wool over our eyes and making us think things are fantastic.  It amazes me that he has such high approval at this point.

It doesn't amaze me. Perhaps most voters actually understand the severity of the sh*tty hand which this president was dealt by his predecessor (who, after all, had the fortune of inheriting a relatively good economy and a federal government living well within its means) and are giving him what is needed most right now, which is time and patience

Should the economy continue to deteriorate, Obama will inevitably take a hit - much like Reagan did (in January 1983, the Gipper looked as though he was going to be toast) but should the economy rebound nicely and unemployment fall significantly by time November 2012 comes around ... Smiley. Better yet were this to be achieved by November 2010

Some of theses things are not economic in nature.  Even some of the econonics, like the bank bailout, I generally agree with.

As for unemployment, Obama's stimulus program was suppose to create jobs; that looks like it will be, even long term, a failure in that regard. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »

up from somewhat approve to strongly approve.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06:05 PM »

Sliding closer to strongly disapprove now, after the SC pick..
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies