Were the Khmer Rouge right about waterboarding?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Were the Khmer Rouge right about waterboarding?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Were the Khmer Rouge right about waterboarding?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Were the Khmer Rouge right about waterboarding?  (Read 2756 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »

They were the group to largely popularize it. According to American conservatives, they must be worthy of some accolade for perfecting and popularizing such a glorious thing, huh?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »

Obviously not. It was bad when the Spanish did it. It was bad when the Germans did it. It was bad when the Japanese did it. It was bad when the Vietnamese did it. It was bad when the Cambodians did it. And it's bad when the Americans do it.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »

I actually applaud you for picking up on this: this is an ideological wedge tactic. Now you ought to learn to generalize the underlying sentiment - there are many commonalities between Marxists and social conservatives, and the revelations of these similarities might disturb many of the latter.

As for your poll, of course not. Torture is a violation of the autonomy and free-will of the individual - not that Republicans care about such vagaries.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »

Charming people.

On another note, why were there so many different pictures when I looked up "Khmer Rouge skull?"  I had always assumed that there was one iconic picture.  There's a whole google search page of pictures of different piles of bones.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:58:02 PM »

Obviously not. It was bad when the Spanish did it. It was bad when the Germans did it. It was bad when the Japanese did it. It was bad when the Vietnamese did it. It was bad when the Cambodians did it. And it's bad when the Americans do it.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:31:11 PM »

...but it's not bad when the Israelis do it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »

Absolutely not. Torture is not acceptable.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »

Why is "Khmer Rouge" in French? Maybe a lack of knowledge from me. Did they refer to themselves in French, and it would have made of it an international name? Other? Or it's just a choice from the author the thread?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »

Why is "Khmer Rouge" in French? Maybe a lack of knowledge from me. Did they refer to themselves in French, and it would have made of it an international name? Other? Or it's just a choice from the author the thread?

Cambodia used to be a part of French Indochina, so I guess they might have used French names when they started out? Like FNL in Vietnam.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »

Cambodia used to be a part of French Indochina, so I guess they might have used French names when they started out? Like FNL in Vietnam.

Most of the Khmer Rouge leaders were French educated; Pol Pot learned his Marxism on the streets of Paris.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 12:49:37 PM by Benisto Cerciuro »

Yes, yes, I know of the French background, but as in my country we of course say Khmer Rouge, I wondered if on this thread it was because that guys used themselves the French name (what I don't know), making of this one an international name, or if it was because of an other reason. You English speaking people, you say Khmer rouge in general?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

Yes, yes, I know of the French background, but as in my country we of course say Khmer Rouge, I wondered if on this thread it was because that guys used themselves the French name (what I don't know), making of this one an international name, or if it was because of an other reason. You English speaking people, you say Khmer rouge in general?

Yes, we refer to it as the Khmer Rouge as well.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »

It's bad when the Israelis do it, too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 06:57:08 AM »

but still acceptable because they're Jewish, right?

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 08:40:16 AM »

but still acceptable because they're Jewish, right?

No, it isn't.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

Yes, we refer to it as the Khmer Rouge as well.

Not in Sweden though. We translate it to Swedish, saying "Röda Khmererna."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies