Boy's family refuses cancer treatment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:26:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boy's family refuses cancer treatment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Boy's family refuses cancer treatment  (Read 2354 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 02:09:35 AM »

I'm still not comfortable with the government forcing medical treatment on people.
AYE!

Pretty much. This case is unfortunate, but it is not our place to force treatment on the child in question.

This child is not mentally capable of making decisions. As I stated earlier, this particular child has developmental disabilities. That changes the ballgame.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 02:27:35 AM »

Maybe.  If he was in the gifted program you'd be ok with him and his family saying no?  What if he was a normal 16 year old (I know he isn't 16)?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 02:29:27 AM »

Maybe.  If he was in the gifted program you'd be ok with him and his family saying no?  What if he was a normal 16 year old (I know he isn't 16)?

More opposed to the state stepping in but I'd still be on the fence. It's a tough issue really.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 03:15:17 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 03:16:52 AM by Lunar »

13 is pretty much a borderline age on the issue.

I'd at least be tempted to, if the law allowed, pull him aside from his parents and have him spend a few days in the hospital educating him about the anatomical facts of the disease and what it entails.  And, if I were a doctor there, I'd be tempted to try to explain to the parents why their position is wrong.

I don't know beyond that.

I'll let the professionals decide
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:39 AM »

I'm still not comfortable with the government forcing medical treatment on people.
AYE!

Pretty much. This case is unfortunate, but it is not our place to force treatment on the child in question.

especially when no-one else is being directly effected. The government can step in at a limited level if its in society's best interests, but not for an individual.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

AYE!

especially when no-one else is being directly effected. The government can step in at a limited level if its in society's best interests, but not for an individual.

AYE!

This child is not mentally capable of making decisions. As I stated earlier, this particular child has developmental disabilities. That changes the ballgame.
They say the boy in this case is mentally impaired. That changes the situation IMHO.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »

See the very last bit of your statement?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »

What? Opinion? Yes it is and a very good one at that. If we allow parents to let their children die because the children are to mentally impaired to understand their dire situation then are we any better then those in history who wanted mentally impaired folks culled?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

This is a tough situation.  Denying treatment will ultimately lead to his death... so the parents are being negligent on that part.  At the same time, I believe each person (or their parents in this case) has the right to decide whether they want treatment or not.

The government should not be directly intervening if it is against both the child's and parents' wills.

If the child does want treatment and the parents object, I believe the government has a right to intervene, mostly because that choice lies with the individual in question, no matter the age.

As I said earlier, I totally agree with your last paragraph. As for the child and parents both not wanting it, this may be acceptable on some situations but not of this severity. I also find it repulsive that a minor with his/her parents permission can't purchase a Playboy, cigarette, beer, attend an R rated movie, etc., but that many people on this thread don't want the government to intervene here where the consequences are far greater.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies