Opinion of Sonia Sotomayor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:28:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Sonia Sotomayor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Positive

Neutral

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Opinion of Sonia Sotomayor  (Read 5592 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Sotomayor
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »

I have no reason to have anything but a positive view of her. Yet. Let's see what they can dig up during confirmation.

I have a feeling there will not be anything too bad to really challenge her stellar credentials.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »

At the moment, neutral -I'll develop an opinion of her if and when she gets on the Supreme Court and begins writing decisions....   
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »

Neutral
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:58:31 AM »

It is hard for me to talk about her personally (I've never met her), but the decisions of hers that I have read strike me as unimpressive.

Barring something weird that we don't know, she is certainly qualified for the position of SC justice.  I just wouldn't expect anything magnificent out of her (in terms of USSC) and the "liberals" better hope that the Rosen piece about her being a bullier is not true, as that is undoubtedly something that would not work well with Kennedy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »

Not Proven
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:40:57 AM »

It is hard for me to talk about her personally (I've never met her), but the decisions of hers that I have read strike me as unimpressive.

Barring something weird that we don't know, she is certainly qualified for the position of SC justice.  I just wouldn't expect anything magnificent out of her (in terms of USSC) and the "liberals" better hope that the Rosen piece about her being a bullier is not true, as that is undoubtedly something that would not work well with Kennedy.

If there was a prize for ''Most Condescending Post of the Year'', that would be the early frontrunner.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

If there was a prize for ''Most Condescending Post of the Year'', that would be the early frontrunner.

If there was an award for "Biggest f****t" on this board, you might win too and I'd even consider that quite impressive.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2009, 12:04:06 PM by px75 »

If there was an award for "Biggest f****t" on this board, you might win too and I'd even consider that quite impressive.

Condescending AND a homophobe.
It keeps getting better.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:09 PM »

Neutral for now
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 12:24:10 PM »

Condescending AND a homophobe.
It keeps getting better.

I'm willing to bet you probably pee on your neighbor's lawn in the middle of the night while she's sleeping too.

Does she only get angry when you miss and hit her pet Chihuahua instead?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »

FF, she wil rile up conservatives.. and eventually the NAMBLA-wing of the democratic party also.

But, I would have probably appointed Consuelo Callahan or Judge Judy for the position.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »

I think her dissent in Ricci might be a problem (and it is to the left of both Obama's and my stated position).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »

Neutral for now.
I think this was a political move to get the Hispanic vote heavy for Obama in `12 more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I think she's a qualified candidate. I just think she was chosen because of her race.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 02:28:29 PM »

I'll save my answer for after we get to know her.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 02:29:17 PM »

I'll save my answer for after we get to know her.

The only reasonable answer at this point.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »

Neutral for now.
I think this was a political move to get the Hispanic vote heavy for Obama in `12 more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I think she's a qualified candidate. I just think she was chosen because of her race.
Since she is qualified race her being a hispanic shouldn't matter. Dis race play a role? Probably, but any nonwhite male nominee would have suffered similar speculation.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »

Neutral for now.
Since she is qualified race her being a hispanic shouldn't matter. Dis race play a role? Probably, but any nonwhite male nominee would have suffered similar speculation.

She is qualified. There are a lot of people out there who were also qualified. She ended getting the nod because of her race. If she was white, I doubt she would have been chosen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »

She is qualified. There are a lot of people out there who were also qualified. She ended getting the nod because of her race. If she was white, I doubt she would have been chosen.

True, but and I don't like her getting the job because she is an Hispanic woman, but at least she's qualified.  At least Obama didn't pick a 43 year old Judge with 1 year's experience simply because of their race or gender.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 04:57:03 PM »

True, but and I don't like her getting the job because she is an Hispanic woman, but at least she's qualified.  At least Obama didn't pick a 43 year old Judge with 1 year's experience simply because of their race or gender.

Agreed.
I'm glad Obama didn't go off the deep end with this pick. I think she will do fine. I'm just stating that what pushed her over the top was the fact that she is a Hispanic.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »

I'm just stating that what pushed her over the top was the fact that she is a Hispanic.

Very likely true.  Since she is qualified, though, I don't care.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »

Agreed.
I'm glad Obama didn't go off the deep end with this pick. I think she will do fine. I'm just stating that what pushed her over the top was the fact that she is a Hispanic.
Oh I agree, but any nonwhile male pick would have been looked at the same way. If Obama wanted to avoid the preception that he picked based on race/sex he would have had to eliminate all nonwhites or women.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

What's wrong with homophobia?  If you say I can't hate someone just because they're a homosexual, then you're a racist.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that homophobia should be illegal. However, we do have a duty to point out how immature it is.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »

On the contrary; political correctness is a sign of immaturity.  Besides, 'f****t' is a delightful word that should not fall out of use because some people have to be societal policemen. 

But what's the point in describing somebody as a bundle of twigs?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »

On the contrary; political correctness is a sign of immaturity.  Besides, 'f****t' is a delightful word that should not fall out of use because some people have to be societal policemen. 

But what's the point in describing somebody as a bundle of twigs?

Or a cigarette.  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies